Seed spreader for smaller quantities

I used this spreader this year. Electric, has a lock on the trigger to lock on. Spread clover, radish seed, and winter wheat.

LmDFc9b.jpg

Yes the Moultrie handles small seed like clover and rape very well and that is all I use it for. It might work for fertilizer even but I use my old Central Tractor 3-pt. hitch spreader for that dirty work as well as grains and larger seeds( the three point hitch spreader holds five fifty pound bags of grain seeds easily while the Moultrie holds only small quantities. With the small seeds I set the Moultrie barely open so I end up going over the field many times; But it sure beats walking and cranking. It can be set more open of course to get the seeds spread faster but I like the little at a time method. I just can't express how easy it is. It is an absolute pleasure to use so far. There is a sound that the seeds make as they fall out of the hopper onto the rotating spreader that lets you know it is working perfectly.

I have logged a lot of miles with the manual spreaders and they worked great; As I have gotten a little older though I would tire a bit with the manual spreaders especially now that we plant so many seed types and sizes in each field.

Note; I'm comfortable the Moultrie would work for the larger seeds as well but the huge hopper on the old three pt. hitch spreader is just so much more efficient for larger seeds. Yes the Moultrie was twice the price of a manual Earthway and that was on sale but it was well worth it. I am not throwing the Earthway away just in case but likely it will just hang on the wall as a bit of history of how we did it in the old days.

I have a three point also that I use for lime, fertilizer, and all large seeds like wheat and peas. I've even mixed clover seed with fertilizer on larger plots and it worked out well. The key is to make sure you set it so you have to go over and over the plot in order to get it fairly well covered. I like the idea of being able to sow small seeds with my golf cart though, and some of my new plots are long and narrow. Sounds like it would be quick and easy !

image.jpeg This is the plot I was speaking of, just a "down row" in a pine plantation. My bow blind is at the far end in a small opening. Too far to move my cultipacker for one plot, so I cultitractored it !o_O

Last edited:
Why no fertilizer? I alway use the same spreader for both? Never had any known issues.
Three reasons for no fertilizer in the small electric spreader.
1.The fertilizer would likely get all over the four wheeler and I'm not real comfortable with that.
2.I often put two to three hundred pounds of fertilizer to the acre and the larger three point hitch tractor spreader is much faster for that.
3. The small electric spreader is not as strong/sturdy as the three point hitch tractor spreader and may not take kindly to the hard clogs that sporadically occur when using a lot of fertilizer.
If I did not have the tractor spreader I would probably use the Moultrie for that as well. The Moultrie works so wellon small seeds whereas the larger tractor spreader does not that I'm simply trying to use it just for the smaller seeds.

How did you get pine tree stumps out of that row to get such a clean bed?

bill
Bill, there were no stumps, I guess they rotted. There was mucho yaupon though, and I mowed it with my Rhino cutter. Probably shouldn't even admit to treating a piece of machinery that way, but I have two of them, and one is dedicated to brush. Next, I took my backhoe and grubbed all the yaupon off the edges, threw it in the row, and pushed it up into an open spot in the woods. I did that mainly to get rid of limbs raking my tractor and to let a little more sun in. It remains to be seen whether anything will grow there, but I'm hoping !

Three reasons for no fertilizer in the small electric spreader.
1.The fertilizer would likely get all over the four wheeler and I'm not real comfortable with that.
2.I often put two to three hundred pounds of fertilizer to the acre and the larger three point hitch tractor spreader is much faster for that.
3. The small electric spreader is not as strong/sturdy as the three point hitch tractor spreader and may not take kindly to the hard clogs that sporadically occur when using a lot of fertilizer.
If I did not have the tractor spreader I would probably use the Moultrie for that as well. The Moultrie works so wellon small seeds whereas the larger tractor spreader does not that I'm simply trying to use it just for the smaller seeds.

Which model are y'all using ? I don't need a large capacity, so is the small one okay ? Thanks !

I will be spreading everything from soybeans, to clovers....NO fertilizer!
Tiny seed gets a tiny seed hand spreader with small opening (clovers, rape, brassicas, alfalfa, trefoil). Larger seed/fertilizer get the larger spreader 75# plus (oats, winter wheat, soybeans, granular fertilizers). To broadcast sizes of seed well, I feel at least two different sized spreaders are necessary.

Last edited:
Tiny seed gets a tiny seed hand spreader with small opening (clovers, rape, brassicas, alfalfa, trefoil). Larger seed/fertilizer get the larger spreader 75# plus (oats, winter wheat, soybeans, granular fertilizers). To broadcast sizes of seed well, I feel at least two different sized spreaders are necessary.
Typically I use my 3point conical spreader for fertilizer, corn, soybeans, cereal grains and the like. I know I need a small spreader for the real fine seeds, but having something with a decent capacity to be able to overseed (while walking not driving) over/thru an existing plot is something I do as well. I would rather have to make multiple re-fills than have the small seed just pout out of it! I do however see your point and considered getting 2 different ones for different jobs.

Which model are y'all using ? I don't need a large capacity, so is the small one okay ? Thanks !
The model name just says ATV Spreader-Manual gate. The product # is MSS-12721 It holds fifteen gallons and normally I am putting in less than 1/2 gallon or even just a few ounces. I can't talk for any smaller models as this one is the only Moultrie electric spreader or actually the only electric spreader I have tried.

The model name just says ATV Spreader-Manual gate. The product # is MSS-12721 It holds fifteen gallons and normally I am putting in less than 1/2 gallon or even just a few ounces. I can't talk for any smaller models as this one is the only Moultrie electric spreader or actually the only electric spreader I have tried.

Thanks Chainsaw, gonna see if I can find that.

Thanks Chainsaw, gonna see if I can find that.
You are very welcome Dry Creek. I think you will like it. Read your intro and you have a year on me so you can relate when I say the manual spreader saps my energy. The electric one does the job so effortlessly allowing me to go on to the next project rather than taking a nap. Those naps reduce my productive time significantly.

Back