Sedge Control

dogghr

I'm not a huge chemical sprayer but I do so when needed. How are you guys controlling Sedge, specifically Yellow nut sedge?? I've tolerated it some but it is beginning to have too much influence in one of my plots. Interestingly, clover really likes to grow around the stuff well but the sedges just overtake too much an area.
Suggestions? Preferably cheap. I do know late spring and early summer is best time to treat before tubers develope well.

I have read where some success is to be had with 2,4,D. Yellow nutsedge tubers are a favorite hog food. If you have yellow nutsedge and hogs - likely your field will be rooted 12” deep.

Spot spraying with roundup would be one option.
Been doing that but I'm getting lazier. Prob best choice.
I've never found cheap and sedge control in the same sentence.
So true and hence my question. Thot someone might have some secret cheap voodoo mix.
I have read where some success is to be had with 2,4,D. Yellow nutsedge tubers are a favorite hog food. If you have yellow nutsedge and hogs - likely your field will be rooted 12” deep.
Shut your mouth. DNR will actually come to your land here and eradicate a generic hog if you have any. We do have russian boar that were established in western regeon of state years ago and a regular season but they aren't the trouble makers of the mixed breeds.

I’ve knocked sedge out with Powermax, but I can’t be certain which sedge I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once they make tubers in a field, you are screwed. Even aforementioned hogs can't get rid of it.

Permit Herbicide
Basagran herbicide
Powermax 2 qts/acre
Mechanical control through tillage (clean equipment very well between fields)

Been doing that but I'm getting lazier. Prob best choice.

So true and hence my question. Thot someone might have some secret cheap voodoo mix.

Shut your mouth. DNR will actually come to your land here and eradicate a generic hog if you have any. We do have russian boar that were established in western regeon of state years ago and a regular season but they aren't the trouble makers of the mixed breeds.

The main reason the hogs are so bad on my place is it is next to 27,000 acres our DNR decided to stop folks killing hogs. If you think hogs reproduce in areas where they are hunted, you should see what they do in areas that are hog refuges.

At least 12 inches lol. I hate hogs

The main reason the hogs are so bad on my place is it is next to 27,000 acres our DNR decided to stop folks killing hogs. If you think hogs reproduce in areas where they are hunted, you should see what they do in areas that are hog refuges.
I couldn't even imagine. Boy that would suck to be a neighbor to that.

I couldn't even imagine. Boy that would suck to be a neighbor to that.
Its like putting a hose running water into a bucket and then trying to mop up the water as it spills out. No matter how much you mop up, it just keeps running out. Same with the hogs - kill twenty and thirty more pour out and take their place.

Be glad to come over and help shoot a few. Love me some wild pork. Good for my cardiac diet, too.

I've never found cheap and sedge control in the same sentence.

Testify ! I used basagran in my clover but you sure can't call it cheap. In another area where I intend to plant clover this fall, two apps of gly burned it down This was at 2 oz. per gallon and took two apps to get it all.

Back