RR Soybeans discoloration after spraying

RobbieH

This was my first year planting RR Soybeans. I recently sprayed round up over them to kill the weeds that are growing. A day later, many of the bean forage has a discoloration to them. Is this normal? Will/should the beans recover?
The pic on my phone exceeds the file limit size here for an upload. I'll have to upload the pic later at home.

It is fairly common for them to do that. I sprayed mine a couple of weeks ago and they yellowed up some. Cant see a hint of it now.

Many times that comes from some leftover residual in the tank, especially if youve used it for 2-4D. Also RR beans are not totally Rup resistant, they can be dinged by Rup at certain growth stages or if conditions are just right. Its never enough to really hurt them, in fact some people spray a rate of Cobra herbicide to injure the beans on purpose, beans seem to like a certain amount of stress at the right times, they will tend to yield better.

I agree, it's not going to hurt your yields. But if you're planting for the deer you don't want that too much. What rates are you spraying? I only do about 10oz. per acre to clean up beans, depending on the severity of the weeds, instead of the normal 44oz. for a burn down. Use AMS and crop oil to help avoid discoloration by using less roundup.

Thanks for the replies. I used the amount the Rup directions said to. I cant remember what it was, maybe a few ounces per gallon. I used my sprayer last year but I flushed it with fresh water for a long time to clean it out. The beans are about 6 weeks old. Here is a pic. This was taken yesterday. Today some of them look like they are dying. They are begging to wilt. I hope I didn't screw this plot up.
20170815_171926 (Copy).jpg

That's some really excessive injury from glyphosate alone. I've never seen it that severe. Is that glyphosate alone or was there something else added to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Wow, that's bad. My first thought was, are you sure that they were
RR beans. But on second thought, something is wrong with your herbicide, it doesn't look like glyphosate to me, especially as seen on the grass. Glyphosate goes down into the root system, kills the roots, and then the plant looses color and fades into yellow. You have white splotches like a spotty application of a defoliant such as Paraquat would look like...
I say they were sprayed with something other than roundup?

Look at your label again. Look at the active ingredients. Is it just glyphosate? Or, does it also have some diquat and/or imazapic?

I agree with the others, that does not look like gly working on the plants. When I spray gly, the plants turn grown and die down. I have never seen the spots before?

That's WAY more than just Rup damage! Are you sure they were RR? Depends on what you sprayed last there still could be residual that wouldn't have came off with just water. That's why it is sometimes VERY important to use a good tank cleaner agent.

Chemicals are funny sometimes with their residual, for example, if you sprayed a field or area with Tordon to kill trees or brush, IIRC you cannot plant beans for 1 year per oz of Tordon used, (5oz of Tordon= at least 5 years of no beans)

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the Rup container, as I used it and threw it away. But it was RoundUp with gly. Bought at Tractor Supply. I used my tank sprayer last year and I flushed it out for a long time with water, hoses and all. For those who use RR soybeans, how many weeks after planting do you spray? And what is the percentage of gly? I mixed according to the label on the Rup container, but maybe the beans couldnt handle that much.
As for the beans, I agree with all of you that it looks like "something" went wrong. It's been a few days now and some of the beans didn't make it, but I'd say about 80% of them look just fine. Not sure what happened but this plot should be ok.

I never had any discoloration. Usually I only use 10 oz. per acre, but this spring I had some lambsquarter that didn't want to die so I hit it with 48oz on less than an acre and the GLY fried the lambsquarter but barely even touched the beans. Maybe there's different strains of RR beans, and some aren't as RR as others? Glad to hear that most of the plot is going to pull through.

Hearing the soybeans are going to live to grow another day, I'm fairly certain the RoundUp had diquat in it. The soybeans were burned and so, too, were the grasses around the beans. I'm assuming it was Monsanto RoundUp. Monsanto (and lately some other manufacturers) and diquat to certain products.

And, I only prolong the conversation to remind to look at the product label for the active ingredients and concentrations before you buy. I've made a lot of assumptions in my life. Maybe half were correct, but I don't know which half!

To counter the claims that RoundUp didn't kill the weeds a day after spraying, diquat was added just to produce some brown and reduce the chatter. It's mostly in the lawn and garden products (RoundUp Extended Control, for example), but I'm now seeing diquat in generic products and the label on the jug gives no clue other than in the active ingredients fine print.

Paraquat, gramoxone, diquat all are the same class of herbicides. They are desiccants. Upon application the plant cell walls dissolve and release all the liquid in the cell almost immediately. Most plants will grow back.

I appreciate the info. We'll see what happens. Luckily, most of the beans look just fine. I'll probably NOT spray next year. I doubt the grasses will bother the deer. I haven't seen them eat the 'weeds' before, but I'd rather look at weeds in my bean plot rather than dead bean plants. :(

Not spraying RR soybeans can be a mistake. My farmer buddy once told me that you can't grow two things in the same field. What he meant by that is that a food crop and weeds can't both grow successfully in the same field. Kill the weeds. Let the food source grow. I spray all my RR corn and beans and have had great results.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the Rup container, as I used it and threw it away. But it was RoundUp with gly. Bought at Tractor Supply. I used my tank sprayer last year and I flushed it out for a long time with water, hoses and all. For those who use RR soybeans, how many weeks after planting do you spray? And what is the percentage of gly? I mixed according to the label on the Rup container, but maybe the beans couldnt handle that much.
As for the beans, I agree with all of you that it looks like "something" went wrong. It's been a few days now and some of the beans didn't make it, but I'd say about 80% of them look just fine. Not sure what happened but this plot should be ok.

Sprayed at 2 weeks after emergence, 2 qts/ac cause of all the nasty weeds....no problems.

I appreciate the info. We'll see what happens. Luckily, most of the beans look just fine. I'll probably NOT spray next year. I doubt the grasses will bother the deer. I haven't seen them eat the 'weeds' before, but I'd rather look at weeds in my bean plot rather than dead bean plants. :(
I bought non-RR beans and next year, I will buy the RR variety. Between the deer hammering them and the weeds over taking them, I had my hands full. I did what I could to help them out without spraying, but it was a losing battle. I finally just gave it up. The good thing is, partridge pea and ragweed took over and the deer have been eating on that. I just went today and sprayed, getting ready for my fall planting.

Back