Rootmaker: Bag vs Pots

Bottomland

Who's got a preference? After sprouting trees in Rootmaker 18s trays, I usually move them to Rootmaker Injection Molded 1 Gallon plastic pots. They're $2.25 retail (I don't have a wholesale account set up) and extremely sturdy. I'm on year 3 for most of mine, and I see little or no deterioration so I suspect you could get years and years out of them if cared for.

I want to get some larger containers (3-5 gallon plus) for my home nursery to condition some bare roots and for grafted trees. I did this last year by taking the cheap route and buying heavy duty plastic root bags (10 gallon and 15 gallon). They seemed good at the time, but over the course of a year the UV destroyed them, and, now a year later, most of them burst upon touch. Luckily, I already planted most of those trees that I had in those bags. The bags were very hard to fill with dirt, also.

So, for 3-5 gallons, should I go with Rootmaker bags or Rootmaker plastic pots. For 3 gallon, prices are $6.50 per pot and $5.50 per bag, and although I know both are great products, I feel like the bags are a one-and-done, and I think I could get more years of use out of the pots. I know most guys use the bags. Thoughts?

I'm on my 4th year with the 5 gallon bags. What I did was cut the thread down the seam on the side of the bag. The tree removes fairly easy. You will lose some small hair roots that entwine in the fabric but not many. When I get back home I clean the bag well and then turn it inside out. I take an office stapler and staple the bag back together. The staples hold fantastic and the bag is ready for another years worth of work. I have some of the 1 gallon molded RM pots and I hate them. I also have some of the super air pots that are very similar to the Root Builder pots that you have to assemble and I absolutely love them but they are very expensive.

I'm on my 4th year with the 5 gallon bags. What I did was cut the thread down the seam on the side of the bag. The tree removes fairly easy. You will lose some small hair roots that entwine in the fabric but not many. When I get back home I clean the bag well and then turn it inside out. I take an office stapler and staple the bag back together. The staples hold fantastic and the bag is ready for another years worth of work. I have some of the 1 gallon molded RM pots and I hate them. I also have some of the super air pots that are very similar to the Root Builder pots that you have to assemble and I absolutely love them but they are very expensive.

Why do you hate the molded RM pots? Just curious. They've worked great for me.

c4cc86c9463144e124cf139b292b0be2.jpg

That's piece of plum rootstock that I grew in a 1 gallon RM molded pot for one summer. It only had a couple of small feeder roots when I planted it, it was a cutting.

I have 10 of the 1 gallon and maybe I leave them in too long but I get circling at the bottom. They do make a nice root though and yours looks excellent.

I have 10 of the 1 gallon and maybe I leave them in too long but I get circling at the bottom. They do make a nice root though and yours looks excellent.

I've wanted to use the bags but my biggest red flag was that I would have to cut them to get the tree out (meaning they would be useless afterwards). I didn't realize that you could stitch them up again and reuse them. I think I'll go with the bags. I've purchased trees that had been grown in them and I was really impressed.

I grew 2 grafted dolgos from the wildlife group for a season
One in root trapper bag an one in generic black pot. Planted them at the farm a couple weeks ago and took notice as to how much better the dolgo in the root trapper did. Thicker, taller and better root structure. Worth the investment in my opinion

Dumb question but I always thought the bags air pruned? Do the roottrapper bags do this? Obviously I have never tried the bags. Got my first RMs this year. Previously I have had some success in plain ole' round plastic pots. I use to have my mom save them from all the plants she bought... I am ready to try air pruning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb question but I always thought the bags air pruned? Do the roottrapper bags do this? Obviously I have never tried the bags. Got my first RMs this year. Previously I have had some success in plain ole' round plastic pots. I use to have my mom save them from all the plants she bought... I am ready to try air pruning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bags don't air prune but actually trap and strangle the root. It works in the same way as air pruning though

How much different are the rootmaker bags compared to a fabric reusable shopping bag ? I've got a pile of those :)

Back