River bottom land- 160 acres western OK.

Been a while since I posted. Been hunting hard. Finally scored on a good buck yesterday evening. Had a few trail cam pics of this buck just a couple of days before I shot him. He's a tall heavy 9. I was sitting in my ground blind overlooking my oat plot watching a doe feed when she spooked then out of the brush came another doe in an all out run, running parallel to me. All the sudden here came this guy right behind her. He was chasing her hard in a dead run. I swung around found him in the crosshairs of my 270 and squeezed the trigger. He dropped instantly on the run. Dead center shot through the spine at 160 yards. An inch or two higher I would have missed. Got lucky. Still rutting pretty hard here. Caped him out to mount him . First pic is trail cam of him.IMG_0733.JPGIMG_0766.JPGIMG_0761.JPGIMG_0782.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I was pretty happy with him. Now I can rest a little. Been hitting it hard morning and evening. Now my son wants to try to get a good one. He's been hunting with me every time except this time. I was by myself,it was fun loading him. He was huge bodied,got a lot of meat off of him. Good luck to everyone. Happy Thanksgiving!

I know what you mean by hitting it hard. I almost decided to sleep in because the kids/grandkids are coming for Thanksgiving but since we live on our hunting property I dragged myself out here again...I can almost smell the turkey and dressing from here! :)

I know what you mean by hitting it hard. I almost decided to sleep in because the kids/grandkids are coming for Thanksgiving but since we live on our hunting property I dragged myself out here again...I can almost smell the turkey and dressing from here! :)

Yeah, it's hard not to go. The anticipation gets you! Our kitchen smells like Thanksgiving. Lots of family coming over soon!

Great buck. I am continually amazed at size of Oklahoma bucks. Or maybe the only okies I know are extraordinary hunters!!

Great buck. I am continually amazed at size of Oklahoma bucks. Or maybe the only okies I know are extraordinary hunters!!

Thanks. We do have some good ones. Don't know if I'm a great hunter. Maybe just lucky!

Congratulations, Don. You put in a lot of work and it paid off.
Now go pat that rifle on the stock. That was no easy shot!

Congratulations, Don. You put in a lot of work and it paid off.
Now go pat that rifle on the stock. That was no easy shot!

Thanks. It's a Remington 700 BDL, 270. It's extremely accurate. It shoots real tight groups off the bench.

Now I've had another bruiser show up. I guess he's taking the one I shots place. Not sure I've had a pic of this one yet! My son sure wants to get a shot at him! This pic is the same place as the pic of the 9 that I shot. Matter of fact it was the same night after the evening I shot him! The rut is really strong right now. Seems a little later this year.IMG_0806.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 4746

Last edited:
Congrats on your buck. Are you taking it to Mikes taxidermy in Mangum by chance? We just dropped my sons buck off there and I was really impressed with his work. He isn't cheap but with taxidermy work you get what you pay for and he is certainly talented. He had some incredible bucks in his shop as well.

Congrats on your buck. Are you taking it to Mikes taxidermy in Mangum by chance? We just dropped my sons buck off there and I was really impressed with his work. He isn't cheap but with taxidermy work you get what you pay for and he is certainly talented. He had some incredible bucks in his shop as well.

No. I took it to Steves taxidermy north of Elk City. I heard the guy in Mangum did good work. Steves looked really good, I know several have used him.

Back