Raised Rock Base: Shipping Container

MarkDarvin

I'm planning to get a 40' shipping container this spring. Before I set one down, I'd like to put it on a raised rock base for a couple reasons. First, to ensure it's got drainage and stays outta the mud. Second, to do some mild leveling if need be. The spot is about perfect already. I just had a few questions if there are any dirt work guys on here.

Pretend this is a normal distance from a quarry or pit where the stone is available. What should it ballpark cost to have the rock hauled and leveled? There is only about 4" of topsoil (not sure if that needs to go or can stay). I just want 6-8" of a raised bed of 1-2" rock under it, and whatever kind of parking lot or road fabric under that to block weeds from coming up through it.

I was hoping the whole project would get done for under $1,000. The dirt work rates in my area are reasonable.

You live in ND: My bet is that there are 50 tractors between you and the nearest quarry! Ok seriously, someone near you should be willing to level your rock once it arrives. It would take me about 30 minute to do it with my L4330 and FEL plus box blade.

To answer your question: A double tandem of rock here goes for about $325 last time I bought it. It had to travel ~25 miles to get here. Transport distance would probably be the biggest variable in your area.

I leveled both mine with FEL in about 10 minutes,they can sometimes get it close with tailgating it.I did mine maybe 4 inches.you will probably want to slope some off the front gravel as you will have around 6 inch lip but I just drive up over that on mine.You shouldn't have an issue getting it under that cost

You should ask for a quote. I bought my culvert and geotextile matting and had it on site already. The local pit guy came out and said he would install the culvert, matting and drop and level two dump truck loads of road base for $400 for all the work, to make my driveway roughly 100' long onto my hunting property. I said do it! It was done the next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at those shipping containers also. It would be nice to get the tall one. Build one half cabin and the other half shed for the tractor and implements, stands, skinning shack, etc. Then if you sell the land, you just haul it to the next spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back