Quercus Alba Acorn Planted 2016 with Catkins

Amazing

I have had extreme difficulty growing these and any white oak variety in containers or direct seeding

Any tips are welcome and appreciated

bill

Amazing

I have had extreme difficulty growing these and any white oak variety in containers or direct seeding

Any tips are welcome and appreciated

bill

They not germinating or what has been the problem?

Shooting from the hip: I'd say it's too much watering that gets most people.

If you’d be willing to part with some of those acorns in future years, I’d be highly appreciative!!!

They not germinating or what has been the problem?

Shooting from the hip: I'd say it's too much watering that gets most people.

I have had low germination rates after storing them in fridge for winter

Direct seeding difficult due to predation from hogs, squirrels, etc

I started 16 trays outdoors last October and left them outside all winter as an experiment and have about 20% germination

bill

I started 16 trays outdoors last October and left them outside all winter as an experiment and have about 20% germination

bill
I've had much better luck storing bur and swamp white oak in the fridge to spring plant.

White oak and the chinkapin oaks are better off fall planted in the ground in my experience since they germinate much faster.

bill

Interesting.

I’ve had almost 100% success with cold stratification in the fridge with NWO. I know it’s not required but I’ve always stored all my red/white acorns in the refrigerator.

However, I had less than 30% success this year with SWO. I’m not sure if the acorns were unviable because I put them in the refrigerator or some other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back