Protect your protein

haden popnoe

Hey guys,

How many of you feed protein? what is the top of the line protein feeder in your opinion. What type of feeder do you have and how do you keep coons from robbing you blind?

I saw a video for something called a coonhood the other day. I don't feed protein, I prefer to grow it, but this contraption looked as though it would work. It fastens to the tube and each time a coon jumps on the tube end.....it closes. Google it, might be what you need.

There are numerous feeders designed to dispense protein pellets that are coon proof. Do some research and I'm happy to opine on the ones you like. I currently have 5 or 6 different designs I use and have effectively coon proofed them all. You are wise to realize that non target waste can be in excess of 30% when feeding pellets.

It appears you are in Alabama? Steel outdoors is in Jackson and might be a place to start looking.I'm happy to help with any other questions regarding feeding protein. Been doing it a long time. There are a lot of other questions that warrant consideration before embarking on a supplemental feeding program.

I saw a video for something called a coonhood the other day. I don't feed protein, I prefer to grow it, but this contraption looked as though it would work. It fastens to the tube and each time a coon jumps on the tube end.....it closes. Google it, might be what you need.
Haden is the guy that sells the coonhood...

Suspend 4in wide PVC ~3 ft long around each leg of tripod

Attatch to base of feeder with 6 in chain so that each pipe is free to rotate/move easily with contact

Lil bastards can't get a purchase on them to climb up

Works well for me on my 2 protein gravity feeders

bill

Back