Proposed Oklahoma Deer hunting changes.

Several years back we went to a 12 deer limit here in GA with 2 of those 12 could be bucks. Lots of areas of the state tried to kill 10 does per hunter and it didn't take long for everyone to start complaining about the lack of deer.
Our season is 4-5 weeks of archery followed by 1 week ML and then about 12 weeks of rifle so you can see it didn't take long for major overharvest to happen in areas. Luckily there are several thousand acres in the area of my lease that is well managed and not overshot plus my lease is 1400 or so acres that is archery only so we are having some of the best hunting in the 13 years that I have had the lease.
Hunters can't just blindly fill all of their tags in some states, the hunter has to realize that they control the harvest numbers no matter what the limit is!

Several years back we went to a 12 deer limit here in GA with 2 of those 12 could be bucks. Lots of areas of the state tried to kill 10 does per hunter and it didn't take long for everyone to start complaining about the lack of deer.
Our season is 4-5 weeks of archery followed by 1 week ML and then about 12 weeks of rifle so you can see it didn't take long for major overharvest to happen in areas. Luckily there are several thousand acres in the area of my lease that is well managed and not overshot plus my lease is 1400 or so acres that is archery only so we are having some of the best hunting in the 13 years that I have had the lease.
Hunters can't just blindly fill all of their tags in some states, the hunter has to realize that they control the harvest numbers no matter what the limit is!
One thing that is nice about a one buck per year state like ours is when you have junior hunters who are desperate for their first deer, the experienced hunters will be there trying to help them instead of being out competing with them, shooting their second buck when many hunters don't have their first one yet.

Back