Pot raising trees

RGrizzzz

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone bought bare root trees/seedlings and raised them in pots for a year? How did it go? I'm going to try about 25 trees this summer in 3 gallon Rootmaker bags and pots. I'll be using ProMix BX55 potting mix, and I'll fertilize them with Oscomote. Maybe a few foliar spray too, when I hit the fruit trees in my yard.The goal is to get a high quality 2-2.5 year old tree for transplanting at camp. I'll have a mix of persimmons, oak and chestnut.

I’ve done it successfully with chestnut trees. If I had the choice I would put them directly in their final destination but you can certainly raise them in pots and transplant them later.

The biggest downside is ensuring your trees get enough water. They need significantly more water in pots than they do when they’re in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve done it successfully with chestnut trees. If I had the choice I would put them directly in their final destination but you can certainly raise them in pots and transplant them later.

The biggest downside is ensuring your trees get enough water. They need significantly more water in pots than they do when they’re in the ground.

Why do you prefer direct planting? Didn't see any benefit of the pot raised trees over time?

Why do you prefer direct planting? Didn't see any benefit of the pot raised trees over time?

There may be some benefit that I’m not aware of. I did it out of necessity. I’m not a fan of “babying” trees if I can avoid it. When I plant them I give them excellent treatment. Cage, bucket with small holes for water, window screen and weed mat. After that they’re on their own. In a pot they require almost daily moisture.

I use rootmakers to grow trees every year. They work well and I find it fun. But, remember that a rootmaker FORCES a tree to use it's second option... it's first option is a taproot. Just a philosophy thing but nature usually has things figured out pretty well.

I use rootmakers to grow trees every year. They work well and I find it fun. But, remember that a rootmaker FORCES a tree to use it's second option... it's first option is a taproot. Just a philosophy thing but nature usually has things figured out pretty well.
I used several rootmakers to grow Sawtooth Oak, Pear and Persimmon from acorn/seed. The rootmakers develop great roots, and I transplanted the plants to gallon pots.
Since then I have found that the rootmakers are GREAT for tomatoes and other veggies from seed. Unbelievable the root system that is developed.

I used several rootmakers to grow Sawtooth Oak, Pear and Persimmon from acorn/seed. The rootmakers develop great roots, and I transplanted the plants to gallon pots.
Since then I have found that the rootmakers are GREAT for tomatoes and other veggies from seed. Unbelievable the root system that is developed.

What other veggies have you tried?

bill

What other veggies have you tried?

bill
Rattlesnake beans, squash, okra, corn. I start a lot in greenhouse so I have instant garden when temps get warm.
Unfortunately this year I have planted some too soon and we have 34 degrees predicted Thursday night

Which size are you starting to in?

Which size are you starting to in?
The ones with 18 compartments. How do you like the touch of Pine Dust on the tomato leaves?
KmxEkSp.jpg

Yqy1FAN.jpg

Only problem I have had in growing anything in a container is some trees that have a long tap root like to circle in the pot which can result in issues later. I have seen this especially in oak trees....I grew acorns in 2 liter bottles and buy the end of the first growing season I was seeing root circling already. I prefer to direct plant if I can. If I plant seeds...I plant 3...after they get going I reduce them down to the strongest one. I often times water my freshly planted trees 2 or 3 times a week during their first summer as well. It's a PITA, but I personally think it's better for the tree...but that is just an opinion.

Only problem I have had in growing anything in a container is some trees that have a long tap root like to circle in the pot which can result in issues later. I have seen this especially in oak trees....I grew acorns in 2 liter bottles and buy the end of the first growing season I was seeing root circling already. I prefer to direct plant if I can. If I plant seeds...I plant 3...after they get going I reduce them down to the strongest one. I often times water my freshly planted trees 2 or 3 times a week during their first summer as well. It's a PITA, but I personally think it's better for the tree...but that is just an opinion.
Rootmaker pots and bags air prune the tap roots to prevent the circling. Since these will go to camp, there's no way to water them regularly.

First, where are you located? Reason I ask is because I’ve used Rootmaker pots fairly extensively and depending on your climate you’ll be watering every day as they drain really well so get ready. You’ll go on vacation one day this summer and come back to dead trees because you weren’t there to water them. Also, you loose the taproot so when you go to plant the tree it will struggle. Also, In my experience, a tree that has been planted from seed that has its taproot intact will catch up to a root pruned tree after about 4-5 years if not sooner.

Matt

Just remember, the bigger they grow, the more work required to plant them and the more roots you disturb at transplant. I’ve had luck doing it, just required more work and attention.

Rootmaker pots and bags air prune the tap roots to prevent the circling. Since these will go to camp, there's no way to water them regularly.

I agree with what mattpatt said.
One thing I've found with transplanting pot grown trees from rootmakers is that they need lots of water that first year. Growing roots in a potting mix and airpruners requires daily watering. Put them in the ground with the same potting mix around the roots (assuming you don't wash the roots off at planting) will let them still dry out even in the ground. This doesn't get corrected until the roots venture out and into the surrounding soil.

I agree with what mattpatt said.
One thing I've found with transplanting pot grown trees from rootmakers is that they need lots of water that first year. Growing roots in a potting mix and airpruners requires daily watering. Put them in the ground with the same potting mix around the roots (assuming you don't wash the roots off at planting) will let them still dry out even in the ground. This doesn't get corrected until the roots venture out and into the surrounding soil.
That's good feedback. Who wants to buy some rootmakers?!? I have added some soil moist to the potting mix to help with dryness. I might be a little short on potting mix, so i may add a mix of left over screened topsoil and mushroom compost. My plan is to grow all summer and then transplant in fall when dormant, so hopefully they'll set up over the winter, and be less susceptible to dryness.

That's good feedback. Who wants to buy some rootmakers?!? I have added some soil moist to the potting mix to help with dryness. I might be a little short on potting mix, so i may add a mix of left over screened topsoil and mushroom compost. My plan is to grow all summer and then transplant in fall when dormant, so hopefully they'll set up over the winter, and be less susceptible to dryness.

What pots do you plan to use? FYI chestnuts don’t like wet roots so I’d use the soil moist crystals sparingly.

Matt

Don't let me talk you out of it. As said in my first post I do plant trees in rootmakers and grow them. I currently have a batch in 18's that are around 25cm tall (started a few weeks ago). I also have a batch of Sawtooth, Concordia Oak, and Jujube in 3 gallon rootmakers that just came out of their 2nd winter. I will do like you said and transplant them this fall shortly after dormancy.

If I were you I would consider an experiment; plant seeds in their forever location (with care and protection), and plant some in rootmakers. See which is more work, which is has the highest success rate, and which grows best.

Don't let me talk you out of it. As said in my first post I do plant trees in rootmakers and grow them. I currently have a batch in 18's that are around 25cm tall (started a few weeks ago). I also have a batch of Sawtooth, Concordia Oak, and Jujube in 3 gallon rootmakers that just came out of their 2nd winter. I will do like you said and transplant them this fall shortly after dormancy.

If I were you I would consider an experiment; plant seeds in their forever location (with care and protection), and plant some in rootmakers. See which is more work, which is has the highest success rate, and which grows best.
My dad has been planting nuts, growing to seedlings, and then planted in the fall. We have a mix of airpots, rootmaker pots and bags, deepots, jiffy pot red oak pods(specifically for forestry) and some randoms. I had been saving Costco generic smartwater bottles too, as they're about the same size as deepots, and I can get them from my neighbors for free.

This year I'm testing the 1 year to old seedlings at home for the summer, with just 25 trees. 12 are persimmon, which I don't believe really have much of a taproot like hardwoods. Then a few sawtooth and hybrid chestnuts. I'll be getting some seedlings from MDC as well, so I'll try another 6 of them to see what happens. I'm in a FB group for chestnut growers, and a number of folks there seem pretty successful with 3 gallons rootmakers for year 1-2, then planting. Their trees get to 6'-8' or so in two years, started from nuts.

We can plant and protect nuts, but don't have the ability to really care for them at camp. We're going to direct plant some hybrid chestnuts this year, and I scattered about 100 gallons of red oak acorns two falls ago.

Back