Plot locations - head of draw vs tucked between draws

BenAllgood

If you have open pasture hills with wooded draws sticking out into them, what's your preference for food plot location? On the one hand, you have plenty of stand locations along the edge of the draws with plots being at the end destination, but on the other, those secluded little coves tucked back in there are sure nice too.

I would place it in the open at the end of the fingers and hunt the woods leading up to them. You want the foodplot to get as much sun and rain as possible to help it grow and feed the deer. The majority of the time, you will only see deer in the open foodplots at dawn and dusk. If you back up in the woods a 100yds or so, you tend to see more deer. Either traveling from point a to point b or staging up to enter the foodplot. Plus, the deer feel safer in the woods. It gives them the feeling of cover and concealment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both options sound good, but there are several things to consider. Which area has good topsoil? A field should be as flat as possible, less than 5% slope is ideal, to avoid soil erosion from tillage. Do the draws have channels that get washouts in heavy rains? A field should have adequate drainage (not a swamp that is flooded periodically). A new plot should be designed with hunting stand locations in mind, a lot of hunters don't hunt the actual plot, while some others do, either way, it's very critical that hunting stands are designed for access and egress without being seen by deer in the plot. Often the wind is terrible for hunting in the bottom of a draw, it just swirls around, while the wind on the upper edge of a bluff is very consistent and often has an updraft that takes your scent straight up and away. Usually a draw has the best location as far as hiding a plot, but the higher open ground out around the draw will have the larger area, better soils and accessibility for a field. My own preference is to have only one larger plot rather than two smaller ones, two plots can make hunting more difficult because it gives deer many more options to escape detection. There's also considerations such as which is cheaper and easier? Is the land a lease that you might lose after you put in a plot. Is it rocky? How does the soil test for PH? Can you access it with a tractor? But don't let these things discourage you, doing food plots for deer is as much fun as hunting, and the deer won't care whether your plot is perfect or not, plant it and they will come!

This is what I learned about the property this first year of hunting. I had two plots (in Yellow). The deer bedded during the daytime in the red areas (there may be other areas I haven't found yet), but they bedded all along the edges at night (multiple beds located on field edges). They seemed to walk the edges. Some walked in the field and some walked several yards inside. There didn't seem to be much traffic in the very bottoms except to cross in a couple spots. Since the travel seems to be following the edges, I was going to move the plots to the end. There's a pretty good ridge between the plots. I thought about tucking them back in those two corners, but the there wouldn't be much room for various winds. The thermals seemed to take milkweed and pull them either straight up, or straight down the bottoms. If the deer continue just using the sidehills for travel, having the wind blow straight down the chutes wouldn't be that bad. The fields are hay grass that is being converted over to old field right now and hopefully pollinator plantings in the future. Winds were primarily out of the SSW and some W this year. That could take my scent and pull it straight down the bottom instead of along the sides where they travelled.
2020possiblelayout.JPG

I will tell you that those draws, wooded or not will suck the wind from the field down into them in the predawn mornings, cloudy days and in the afternoon regardless of prevailing wind direction. Our smart deer will often approach most any ridge top whether wooded or food plot through one of the draws so that they can scent check the area before their approach. Our best stands are enclosed stands that sit where two or more draws meet.

I will tell you that those draws, wooded or not will suck the wind from the field down into them in the predawn mornings, cloudy days and in the afternoon regardless of prevailing wind direction. Our smart deer will often approach most any ridge top whether wooded or food plot through one of the draws so that they can scent check the area before their approach. Our best stands are enclosed stands that sit where two or more draws meet.
I've only hunted very flat land, and that's what I saw too. It was pretty wild. I'm building haybale blinds to try and combat wind to a degree. I'm doing the regular cattle panel covered in erosion blankets, but I'm wrapping them with plastic pallet wrap which is kind of like saran wrap, but thicker and used to waterproof pallets of material on flatbeds. That should cut down on alot of scent hopefully.

18103_049a336d4107540f38fbdfb394ef79fd.jpg
It's hard to lay out a property without putting boots on the ground, but I couldn't resist, this looked like a made to order kill zone. If this were mine I'd consider something like this, walking in along the property line that's downwind and not huntable land anyway, then heading uphill to the stand undetected. I'd be thinking a closed in elevated hunting blind. The stand should be screened from the field side so that you can get in the stand and leave without any deer detecting you. The only downside is physical, literally, you would be going down in the valley then climbing up again. All good things come with a little sweat. Deer will come out in daylight back there if you never spook them out of the plot.

View attachment 17767
It's hard to lay out a property without putting boots on the ground, but I couldn't resist, this looked like a made to order kill zone. If this were mine I'd consider something like this, walking in along the property line that's downwind and not huntable land anyway, then heading uphill to the stand undetected. I'd be thinking a closed in elevated hunting blind. The stand should be screened from the field side so that you can get in the stand and leave without any deer detecting you. The only downside is physical, literally, you would be going down in the valley then climbing up again. All good things come with a little sweat. Deer will come out in daylight back there if you never spook them out of the plot.
You pretty much nailed the exact route I took the first time I went last year to scout. I took my pole saw to clear out a walking trail that would lead to that exact point you marked with the X and put a plot in there, again, exactly the size and shape to a T. Actually, I was going to do that as well as put in another trail along the parkway to the north to be able to come in from that direction. But, the thing that stopped me were the trails going between the neighbor and me going from his side hill to mine. It seemed too intrusive. Plus, he's a really great neighbor to have. We are pretty much on the same page as far as what we are trying to do, so it's a good shared area to have kept off limits I think. We share pictures and what we want to shoot and not shoot. I don't want to hurt that relationship. That is the perfect plot spot on the property for being secluded. That one and the northwest corner both are. The NW corner up next to the parkway is very hidden. You wouldn't think it from the map, but no one is going to come in from over there. Most of the daylight movement I saw was over there.

Would want to screen off new plot with a ten ft. growth of Miscanthus Gigantheus(MG) bordered by a fifteen tree clump of apples or pears or both and with drop times to coincide with the very late pre rut and full rut following it and depending on your hunting seasons of course. If it is to be a gun tower blind, a consideration would be to put it in line with the MG so you could see over it to either side and besides making the plot more cozy it is the beginning of a screen to hide your access. Also on the way in, I wouldn't want to cross that open field to get to the woods from the parking area. I'd rather have a hedgerow along the perimeter to both hide me parking, unloading and my access across the field.

This is a nice thread with a lot of good comments and you are still only on page one.

I've only hunted very flat land, and that's what I saw too. It was pretty wild. I'm building haybale blinds to try and combat wind to a degree. I'm doing the regular cattle panel covered in erosion blankets, but I'm wrapping them with plastic pallet wrap which is kind of like saran wrap, but thicker and used to waterproof pallets of material on flatbeds. That should cut down on alot of scent hopefully.
I have also found that
Would want to screen off new plot with a ten ft. growth of Miscanthus Gigantheus(MG) bordered by a fifteen tree clump of apples or pears or both and with drop times to coincide with the very late pre rut and full rut following it and depending on your hunting seasons of course. If it is to be a gun tower blind, a consideration would be to put it in line with the MG so you could see over it to either side and besides making the plot more cozy it is the beginning of a screen to hide your access. Also on the way in, I wouldn't want to cross that open field to get to the woods from the parking area. I'd rather have a hedgerow along the perimeter to both hide me parking, unloading and my access across the field.

This is a nice thread with a lot of good comments and you are still only on page one.
I was thinking Miscantus also.

I was thinking Miscantus also.

We have a setup very similar to the original post with the apples and MG and it was our most productive setup this year. The putting the tower blind even with the MG crossing the field so you can see over it is something we did not do on our plot but it sure would have expanded our view without affecting deer movement.

I like the screening and the fruit tree idea. I will definitely make some type of screening part of this with the blind incorporated into the edge. But, my main concern right now is the placement of these plots. I want optimum huntability with regards to wind and thermals. I want the wind and thermals to be in favor of the deer for entering the plot, but also in mine for not drifting into their path. The most wind directions the better. That's why I was hoping that placement at the heads of the hollows would be best. If the wind comes from the S or SW or W, I was hoping my scent would be sucked down the middle of the hollow and not on their paths along the side hills.

Ben, email me a raw picture of your map with topo, I can give you a hand and maybe we can post it and discuss collectively, this website has a lot of smart folks. Jon@whitetaillandscapes.com
Thanks Jon. What I was most interested in was how people found it best to position foodplots in hills and hollers. It seems it would be easier to hunt if the plots were at the head of the wooded hollows because the hunter could walk in on the pasture ridges and setup right inside the woodline on trails that were heading to the food.

On my own personal property I have some similar terrain. I position food plots on areas that have appropriate slope, aspect, soil type and access for hunting and/or equipment. The way your property lays out you are likely limited on the hillsides but that’s a good thing from my perspective. Your holler, and center field requires a bit of manipulating for food plots and huntability... as it relates to ends, central or opposite areas for food it depends. You can stack deer in a multitude of locations on properties with your terrain, but adding destination food in small areas like this requires a lot of considerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the screening and the fruit tree idea. I will definitely make some type of screening part of this with the blind incorporated into the edge. But, my main concern right now is the placement of these plots. I want optimum huntability with regards to wind and thermals. I want the wind and thermals to be in favor of the deer for entering the plot, but also in mine for not drifting into their path. The most wind directions the better. That's why I was hoping that placement at the heads of the hollows would be best. If the wind comes from the S or SW or W, I was hoping my scent would be sucked down the middle of the hollow and not on their paths along the side hills.
The head of the hollow plot idea looks good on paper, but this idea has one problem, you are trying to coax the deer out into the open, towards the road, towards the buildings, trying to make them go where you want them to go, rather than where they want to go. The further you put a plot away from good cover the later the deer will come out in the evening, and the earlier they will head for cover in the morning. In other words, if a plot is too far from cover deer will only use it at night. What I said about putting the plot at the back end of the finger surrounded by woods is that the deer will regularly come out in the middle of the day if they are not disturbed.
As far as keeping the neighbors happy, that's an important point. But walking along your property line on your side should not affect that relationship, if the neighbor is telling you where you should walk on your own land it's time to reassess the relationship. And a good neighbor won't be hunting close to your line either. If you read up on developing a property for hunting you will find a consensus of opinion that roads and trails along property lines are the preferred access points for hunting your land, and patrolling to keep an eye on things.

The head of the hollow plot idea looks good on paper, but this idea has one problem, you are trying to coax the deer out into the open, towards the road, towards the buildings, trying to make them go where you want them to go, rather than where they want to go. The further you put a plot away from good cover the later the deer will come out in the evening, and the earlier they will head for cover in the morning. In other words, if a plot is too far from cover deer will only use it at night. What I said about putting the plot at the back end of the finger surrounded by woods is that the deer will regularly come out in the middle of the day if they are not disturbed.
As far as keeping the neighbors happy, that's an important point. But walking along your property line on your side should not affect that relationship, if the neighbor is telling you where you should walk on your own land it's time to reassess the relationship. And a good neighbor won't be hunting close to your line either. If you read up on developing a property for hunting you will find a consensus of opinion that roads and trails along property lines are the preferred access points for hunting your land, and patrolling to keep an eye on things.
I'm starting the process of converting those fields by the roads and houses into old fields and enrolling in a pollinator program with EQIP. Would that change how you would approach it in the future? Possibly put them in the back for now, and move them once the cover is there.
He hasn't said anything about where to go. I just want to make sure both of our disturbances are as minimal as possible. That place where the two hollows come together that divides our properties had a major trail crossing at the very bottom going between our properties. And, there were two more trails I'd have to cross to get back there if I came in from my east boundary line. I felt that would be too intrusive. My first plan was to carve a trail along that boundary, but the deer traffic talked me out of it.
I may put a plot in that back finger and another on other back corner this year and move them later as the cover gets developed towards the front.

I'd be pretty stuck on tucking the plot into the back end of that finger, but where the hunting stand is and how you access it could be from several different directions. The path that I drew through the hollow was my first choice, my second choice is this one. I like to view my fields and also the bedding areas like a sanctuary, never disturb the deer there. The travel routes in between are not as critical, if you spook a deer several times on their travel route they just change the route, but probably not their bedding and feeding areas. So therefore i'd rather see you making a trail inside the woods along a field edge to access a stand rather than walking to the stand along the field edge itself. Hence my proposed new route to the stand location.
I do also like the plot location at the other back corner, that's a great spot for a plot, I like it for everything except that I'm assuming that prevailing wind is from the west, and north is top of your map, meaning that the wind is against you there a lot of the time. However, it's still a good second spot, the wind may well go up and over the bedding area's if the air is light. That's the beautiful thing about the other site, the wind should be perfect for bowhunting out of a tree just back from the edge of that field, it could be one of those places where in a prevailing wind you are practically windproof in all directions due to updraft out of the hollow.
I like the EQUIP pollinator program, it make good sense for cover and browse for deer, but it takes a long time to turn those fields into cover that hides a man walking, esp. if you do do pollinators, they will require to mow enough to keep it from reverting into woods.
Doc1.jpg

I figured Id share the example laid out for this property so folks can comment and add opinions. Ben is a very nice guy and boy his property looks impressive, makes me wonder why I live in NY.

Last edited:
Back