Planting late - should I skip the brassicas?

Brian

Normal planting window here is Oct. 1 - 15 due to army worms, but after a very wet summer we're bone dry now with no rain predicted. Given the forecast I may not be planting until early November - I was planning to include daikon radishes at 3#/acre in my mix, but with the late start I'm looking at should I save the seeds for next year?

Save the radish for next year and go straight rye would be my advice. In Mississippi you should get a little rye growth all winter long, and the attraction will be pretty good too.

What are you looking for with the radishes? If you want the actual radish, I’d skip them this year. If you are happy with vegetative growth alone you can probably get some still.

This is good info because I was gonna mix some in with my wheat. It worked really well for me in the past. How would y’all store them…..in the house ?

This is good info because I was gonna mix some in with my wheat. It worked really well for me in the past. How would y’all store them…..in the house ?

I just pulled seed, winter greens from WI, from a storage room at my families business. 6 years old and it germinated in my garden. I did nothing special as it was just sitting in box.

I hope that helps.

I'd crank it down to 1 pound per acre and plant. Even for as far north as I am, we've had 75 degree temps into early november, and more often than I'd like. 1 lb won't drown out anything, and won't break the bank either. Go for it.

What are you looking for with the radishes?

I grow them for the greens, which work well in a mix because they don't shade out the small grains and clover like rape or turnips - the root is just a nice bonus (when I get them!)

With 10# of brassicas seed I will just store them in the back of a closet. I seriously doubt the seeds will degrade much - if at all - by next year.

Last edited:
Back