As usual I'm late

JohnL48

Was planning on getting 3/4 of an acre of clover in this spring but my busy life says no. Now I have the option of getting it in next weekend 6/4 or waiting until fall ?
Was thinking of planting brassicas mixed with the clover in late July . My question is will the clover establish enough with the brassicas to pop next spring or should I just plant the clover now and see what happens ? I'm in southern Catskills NY
Looks like a dry spell coming after this week

Last edited:
wait on clover till the fall. probably want hurt to throw the brassica in there along with some wheat. cut back in the spring and it will take off.
How would I time it since I'm putting clover in the same plot as brassicas after they die off ? I don't have a lot of land. That's why my intentions were to plant the clover early spring

I’d add the clover to your brassica mix and plant at the same time. The clover will establish and when the brassicas don’t come back in the spring you will have clover. Couple mowings and you will have the broadleaf weeds cleaned up. Could frost seed it in the spring too to get some more seed there to fill in any bare spots.
I’ve done this before multiple times and had great results.

Here is a pic of one I did last year. You can see the clover coming up under the brassicas. This was a mix of red and Alsike clover.
I’d add the clover to your brassica mix and plant at the same time. The clover will establish and when the brassicas don’t come back in the spring you will have clover. Couple mowings and you will have the broadleaf weeds cleaned up. Could frost seed it in the spring too to get some more seed there to fill in any bare spots.
I’ve done this before multiple times and had great results.

If you want to plant something now, buckwheat is a good choice. Mow it in the fall and it will act as beneficial thatch for what you plant.

Had a heck of a time posting the pic, finally figured it out.
I looked at my notes, that was a mix of 2lbs alsike and 1 lb red clover along with the brassica mix (GRO frosty delight). Plot is about 1/3 acre. I’ll try and get a recent pic this weekend but after I mow it I’m expecting a nice stand of clover.

If you want a perennial clover plot, plant clover w/ WR and some radish in August. Mow it next June after clover flowers and you should have a nice weed free clover plot.

Back