Persimmons...how do I love thee...let me count the ways.....

I love Thee because Thou art so loaded that Thou breaketh thy limbs.

9DV9L3J.jpg

MdgVUve.jpg

That must be a new hybrid, "self trimming trees"!

Actually that tree illustrates one of the things I love about persimmons. That tree is just a run-of-the-mill seedling and nothing really special. Nearly all my trees are that loaded, and the seedling trees are just as good as the grafted trees in the eyes (and mouths) of the deer. I love apples and pears too, but that won’t be the case with them.

This is a seedling persimmon, and I took the picture yesterday. It's been dropping for weeks but is still loaded. We may need to give this one a name. They have already used "Deer Magnet" so maybe we will call it "Deer Tractor Beam".....:)

aXdaGan.jpg

I finally found a producing persimmon on my place (1st pic), unfortunately it's right up beside the cottage. I'd much prefer it down in the woods somewhere. I also found another mature one down by the creek on the lower 20 (2nd pic). It looks like it might have had some fruit but it was too sparse and high up to tell for sure.
8130df1b425b4aba03710304abe61baf.jpg
c0516cfe832583c5df41444cd471b26d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I finally found a producing persimmon on my place (1st pic), unfortunately it's right up beside the cottage. I'd much prefer it down in the woods somewhere. I also found another mature one down by the creek on the lower 20 (2nd pic). It looks like it might have had some fruit but it was too sparse and high up to tell for sure.
8130df1b425b4aba03710304abe61baf.jpg
c0516cfe832583c5df41444cd471b26d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That looks like a good producing tree Pinetag. Even though it is by your cottage, I bet they sneak in at night and get some.

I love thee because I can't kill thee:

A couple of years ago I accidentally ran over a grafted persimmon tree that I had planted. The cage literally tore off all the bark and destroyed the tree. I clipped it off at the groundline and put up a new cage. Two years later I have a 15 foot tree that is loaded with fruit. Evidentially I got lucky and the rootstock was a female. I had planned on topworking the tree when it grew back, but the fruit looks so good I will just leave it and do nothing else.

v3hPfcr.jpg

W8NtNjy.jpg

I love thee because I can't kill thee:

A couple of years ago I accidentally ran over a grafted persimmon tree that I had planted. The cage literally tore off all the bark and destroyed the tree. I clipped it off at the groundline and put up a new cage. Two years later I have a 15 foot tree that is loaded with fruit. Evidentially I got lucky and the rootstock was a female. I had planned on topworking the tree when it grew back, but the fruit looks so good I will just leave it and do nothing else.

v3hPfcr.jpg

W8NtNjy.jpg

A very nice specimen. My survivor, Tiny pulled this one from it's plastic container and brutalized it. I planted it and Tiny came back to finish the job. My wonderment of the moment, should I select the top growth and figure that the trunk will heal over, or do I select a lower one on the stem below damage, or one at ground level, I have choices, Steve?

DSC04983 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04987 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

A very nice specimen. My survivor, Tiny pulled this one from it's plastic container and brutalized it. I planted it and Tiny came back to finish the job. My wonderment of the moment, should I select the top growth and figure that the trunk will heal over, or do I select a lower one on the stem below damage, or one at ground level, I have choices, Steve?

View attachment 23965

View attachment 23966

G

At this point, I would probably leave it and assume that the trunk will heal over. The tree will benefit from the extra sunlight received via the top. If you see the situation changing, you can always change plans later on. My tree came back so well because it had an established root system. Your tree was just planted, so I would opt for just waiting a while before doing anything.

It looks like the seedling in Post 189 above is going to bear large sized fruit. First pic below is the seedling and the second pic is Deer Magnet. They look very similar.

iydcaTo.jpg

6wfGYE3.jpg

I hated to cut this limb off of one of my trees today, but it had grown out and was blocking my view into a food plot. This is off another seedling at a different location.

oyDrNPg.jpg

This one has already had two limbs to break off. This one may be next. But, it doesn't matter because most persimmons eventually shed low limbs anyway as they age. It doesn't hurt anything.

hu60NHz.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find potted trees(SE PA and/or north central PA)? I need to find a pollinator for a single survivor that began flowering this year.

Here is an interesting persimmon. A few years ago I bought a named cultivar Japanese Persimmon from a nursery. It was growing great, and then we had a bad wind storm that broke the top out of it - just a stub left. I had kind of forgotten about it, but two years ago I noticed that it was growing a new top from the stub. Well, fast forward to this year and it is loaded with what appears to be just plain American Persimmons. My hunch is that it was a Japanese Persimmon grafted to an American Female. The wind storm removed the Japanese part and the American Persimmon grew back.

ASsUlFW.jpg

Other reasons:
No fireblight
No CAR
No powdery mildew
No Scab
No aphids
No spraying
No worms
No sooty blotch
No fly speck
No bitter rot
No black rot
No bot rot
No bitter pit
No blossom wilt
No San Jose Scale
No plum curculio
No coddling moth
No apple maggot
No Japanese Beetles
No Chestnut Weevils

Ain't that the truth!

Here is an interesting persimmon. A few years ago I bought a named cultivar Japanese Persimmon from a nursery. It was growing great, and then we had a bad wind storm that broke the top out of it - just a stub left. I had kind of forgotten about it, but two years ago I noticed that it was growing a new top from the stub. Well, fast forward to this year and it is loaded with what appears to be just plain American Persimmons. My hunch is that it was a Japanese Persimmon grafted to an American Female. The wind storm removed the Japanese part and the American Persimmon grew back.

ASsUlFW.jpg
Native, it’s time to begin thinking about persimmons on our farm. I haven’t found any in our place, male or female. I have a great spot picked out for a nice grove one day. I’ve had great luck with trees from wildlife group; so here’s my question: should I buy some common seedlings to go along with the grafted females? Of course the grafted trees are quite expensive and the common seedlings are not, would it be worth it to get several since they’re so cheap? Maybe not baby them as much as the grafted ones? I thought a true female tree would sucker other trees, and a hybrid graft would not do that I was guessing. Also, would you recommend any of their other varieties? Thanks!!
A952FF34-1327-46EA-909F-54FA843356CA.jpeg

Native, it’s time to begin thinking about persimmons on our farm. I haven’t found any in our place, male or female. I have a great spot picked out for a nice grove one day. I’ve had great luck with trees from wildlife group; so here’s my question: should I buy some common seedlings to go along with the grafted females? Of course the grafted trees are quite expensive and the common seedlings are not, would it be worth it to get several since they’re so cheap? Maybe not baby them as much as the grafted ones? I thought a true female tree would sucker other trees, and a hybrid graft would not do that I was guessing. Also, would you recommend any of their other varieties? Thanks!!
View attachment 24605

Yes, I would plant several of the common seedlings for the reasons you mentioned. You are thinking correctly. As they begin to mature in the future, you can topwork some of the seedlings to other varieties as well if you desire. Contact me at that time, and I can help you find some good scion wood. Also, you will be surprised at what good producers most of the female seedlings will be. Actually, although some are better than others, I have never seen any female persimmon that was a poor producer.

If you can find any Deer Magnet or Yates persimmons for sale right now, I would go ahead and add them. Both of them drop at a good time on my place. I don’t have the Rosseyanka that WG sells, but it sounds like a winner to me. I would add this too. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, I would plant several of the common seedlings for the reasons you mentioned. You are thinking correctly. As they begin to mature in the future, you can topwork some of the seedlings to other varieties as well if you desire. Contact me at that time, and I can help you find some good scion wood. Also, you will be surprised at what good producers most of the female seedlings will be. Actually, although some are better than others, I have never seen any female persimmon that was a poor producer.

If you can find any Deer Magnet or Yates persimmons for sale right now, I would go ahead and add them. Both of them drop at a good time on my place. I don’t have the Rosseyanka that WG sells, but it sounds like a winner to me. I would add this too. Good luck.
Thanks Native!

Back