Parkerizing

yoderjac

I've got some older guns that are of low value. I thought about cold bluing them but I'm now considering parkerizing. It look like it is more effective and fairly easy to diy. Anyone done it?

I haven’t, but have you considered cerakote ? I think I’m gonna have an AR cerakoted in flat dark earth, then it won’t be a “black rifle” and maybe the ATF will leave me alone. 😬

No, I had not considered that. I watch a few videos and it looks like you can parkerize yourself fairly inexpensively. Are you going to cerakote yourself or are you having it done. The guns I' considering parkerizing are old and have little commercial value, but some sentimental value to me. They are currently blued. I thought about rebluing them but it seems no easier than parkerizing and I think parkerizing provides better protection than bluing as it absorbs oil. I know nothing about cerakote but I will look into it.

I think you can Cerakote in your oven. I had a buddy try it on a junker pistol and it looked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I had not considered that. I watch a few videos and it looks like you can parkerize yourself fairly inexpensively. Are you going to cerakote yourself or are you having it done. The guns I' considering parkerizing are old and have little commercial value, but some sentimental value to me. They are currently blued. I thought about rebluing them but it seems no easier than parkerizing and I think parkerizing provides better protection than bluing as it absorbs oil. I know nothing about cerakote but I will look into it.
I was gonna have it done by a guy that does it professionally. I don’t trust myself to do it well.

I was gonna have it done by a guy that does it professionally. I don’t trust myself to do it well.
ya, DIY doesn't make financial sense for small stuff. One probably needs to do quite a bit to save much. My compressor is probably on the small side for bead blasting and I don't have a cabinet so I'd have to blast outside for good prep. I probably don't have the patience to prep by hand. If you have the equipment or just want the experience, DIY may make sense.

From the little reading I've done, it sounds like folks are saying the air cure is tough, but not close to the oven cure. These comments came from users on other forums.

This Cerakote is looking more interesting. I may try it on something.

From the little reading I've done, it sounds like folks are saying the air cure is tough, but not close to the oven cure. These comments came from users on other forums.

This Cerakote is looking more interesting. I may try it on something.
That's my take, too. The air cure product is for DIY users.

Back