Pallet blind build

Lizardbiscuit

So, I spent a few days sketching and creating a build sheet for an elevated blind on my property. I went to Home Depot and got pricing on all the wood. I was just about to do the same with Lowe's when I spotted at work a 5x8 pallet. The blind was going to be 4x8. There was another guy at work that had eyes on the pallet too. I lucked out that he didn't have a way to pick it up.

A little about the pallet; it's not the standard pallet for cardboard boxes or drums that has the same spacing between the boards as the board width. This pallet is built like a deck. All the boards are less than 1/4 between. Mostly 2x4 wood 1 by slats on top. It also had some 2x4 frames that were maybe 8x40 and a 1x4 frame all the way around that would have been great to staple burlap to. If only the frame had survived the load into the bed of my truck.

In short, new plan incorporating the pallet into the blind base.

lYeQhPD.jpg

Base and posts.

Wwilxe6.jpg

Support braces starting to go on. I'm going to add the other direction to make an X with a block between where they cross. Also shown, the 8x40 frames were repurposed to build a platform for the staircase landing (it is on top of the platform).

The problem with pallets is that they are not treated wood, so it could rot out in a year. When I build a box blind, I use 100% treated wood and have some up 10 years and still stable and safe.

I'll prime/paint before it's completed. If there's not a neighborhood at my back property line in 5 years I'll buy a pre-fab blind. They are developing every acre they can find here.

I'll prime/paint before it's completed. If there's not a neighborhood at my back property line in 5 years I'll buy a pre-fab blind. They are developing every acre they can find here.
Good that you will paint it...not so good on the development...

Back