Ozark Chinquapin

From testing completed by the Ozark Chinqaupin Foundation, they are finding the Ozark Chinquapins have similar blight resistance as the Chinese Chestnuts (more information on the testing at their website). They can still get the blight, and you can lose trees. After completing the testing, the foundation "culls" the trees who did not show blight resistance comparable to Chinese Chestnuts. Much of the nuts they are sending out now are from the grow plots from the higher resistant groups. In addition, they are manually cross-pollinating the highest resistant trees with each other to see if that will improve the resistance.

I know our farm back in the 60s had a few of the trees left after the blight rolled through. My dad remembers eating nuts from a couple of "scrub brush/bush-like trees" that had what they referred to as hazelnuts growing. After he saw the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation nuts, he realized that the "hazelnuts" were actually Ozark Chinquapins. He showed my uncle the nuts, and now they are both super on board with propagating on our farm. My uncle even goes around during the dry periods, and waters the trees with the side x side.

From testing completed by the Ozark Chinqaupin Foundation, they are finding the Ozark Chinquapins have similar blight resistance as the Chinese Chestnuts (more information on the testing at their website). They can still get the blight, and you can lose trees. After completing the testing, the foundation "culls" the trees who did not show blight resistance comparable to Chinese Chestnuts. Much of the nuts they are sending out now are from the grow plots from the higher resistant groups. In addition, they are manually cross-pollinating the highest resistant trees with each other to see if that will improve the resistance.

I know our farm back in the 60s had a few of the trees left after the blight rolled through. My dad remembers eating nuts from a couple of "scrub brush/bush-like trees" that had what they referred to as hazelnuts growing. After he saw the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation nuts, he realized that the "hazelnuts" were actually Ozark Chinquapins. He showed my uncle the nuts, and now they are both super on board with propagating on our farm. My uncle even goes around during the dry periods, and waters the trees with the side x side.

That is good to know and very interesting. Most of my Allegheny Chinquapin trees take that bush like form verses a tree like form, but they produce lots of nuts. It sounds like OC's respond to blight similarly to AC's. They can pollinate other trees in the chestnut family and be pollinated by chestnuts. I don't think any tree in the chestnut family is self-fertile in the sense that a tree can not pollinate itself. So, if you clone trees by grafting you do need a pollinator, but any tree grown from seed can pollinate and be pollinated by any other tree.

Thanks,

Jack

By the way, the Ozark Chinquapin is more tree than bush. The blight reached the Ozarks sometime during the 50s, so my dad's memory of the "bush-like tree" was probably the regrowth after the blight knocked out the original tree.

We started planting them in 2019, so we are starting to build small groves around the farm. Our hope is that we can use these as our own "nut plots". We are actively working to remove cedars from the farm, and back filling those spaces with Ozark Chinquapins similar to oaks in a savanna setting.

We hope to see the first flowers and burrs this year, but with the sporadic growth cycles we may not get many nuts if any at all. Last years drought in the area really put a damper on the growth. We should have 2 of our first groves (5-6 trees each) reaching 5 years old in 2024 which is the time period that was expected to really start seeing nuts.

Apparently, ACs can take on both forms. On my place most are multi-stemmed bush-like, but that may be from blight or from fire many years ago. Native Hunter has ACs on his place that seem to be much more of a tree like form. I tend to find them on road and field edges where they get more light than under the pine canopy (I've got a pine farm).

I used to think that perhaps there is some difference between his trees and mine. Over time, I've come to the opinion that the bush-like form is due to dieback from something (blight, or other pathogen, or fire).

I think the differences between OC's and AC's is quite slight. From a wildlife perspective, I think they fill the same niche. One may be more adapted to certain environments and the other to other environments. They are all great trees for wildlife!

Started my Ozark Chinquapins last night, I received 13 from the foundation, 8 of which had started their roots, 2 haven’t started yet, 2 had mold growing, 1 was cracked. My father has a set as well and will be starting them at his house in two-three weeks. They will go in the ground in mid-April during Turkey Season at our farm.

I also had some leftover Concordia Oaks and tubes so I started them as well.

View attachment 24935

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

The foundation must be flush with seeds now.

We used to get 3.

We typically get 5-6 now. I gifted my dad, my uncle, and my sister memberships; along with signing up myself. My dad has his and my uncle's - I started mine and my sister's membership nuts. I'm currently at 8 of 13 started growing, 3 put down roots but no top growth yet, 2 are "dead" nuts.

Hit me up this fall.

I may get another haul like this.

311225610_10160045716475289_5233970954828923324_n.jpg

311191845_10160045717135289_3278068855897414065_n.jpg

Oxalic Acid Leaf Disc Assay
The fungal pathogen responsible for the blight, Cryphonectria parasitica, secretes oxalic acid (oxalate) that kills healthy tissue and forms cankers on the bark of infected Ozark chinquapin trees. Oxalic acid assays can be used to rapidly screen for relative resistance based on the percent of living tissue remaining on leaf discs soaked in oxalic acid for a period of time. Because the leaf discs are uniform in size, living tissue can be quantified easily with image analysis software. This assay requires us to simply expose leaf tissue directly to oxalate and observe their tolerance.

Blight Testing. Leaf discs soaking in 50 mM oxalic acid solution. The necrotic tissue is brown and the green leaf tissue is alive.
Chestnut blight is not a leaf disease, but a tree’s leaf tissue will have a reaction to oxalic acid exposure that correlates with the plant’s immune response and ability to detoxify oxalic acid (a mechanism apparently employed by trees with tolerance to chestnut blight). Leaf assay results from experiments where detached leaves were inoculated with agar plugs of blight correlate well with oxalic acid leaf disc assays (Blight Resistance Testing 2019, 2021, and 2022, Leslie Bost Carter, OCF) . This technique for blight screening is especially useful on my trip to Arkansas considering its simplicity.
Methods
Several leaves from this year’s new growth were detached from each individual tree selected for screening, 21 total (As detailed in the section about the second day of my trip). Leaves were also collected from 2 cultivated Chinese chestnut trees. The leaves were labeled, bagged, and placed in a cooler. All of the leaves were washed in 2 baths of distilled water and mild detergent, then gently blotted dry before the experiment. Leaf samples from 3 of the 21 trees I collected were damaged in transit and I excluded them from the study.
A sterile cork borer was used to punch out 10-12 leaf discs per sample set, then immediately placed into a petri dish containing a 50 mM oxalic acid solution. After soaking for 22 hours, photographs of the leaf discs were uploaded to plant disease quantification software (Assess 2.0) and analyzed to calculate the exact percent of healthy tissue on each leaf disc (Figure a). The average percent of living tissue remaining on the discs was recorded for each tree and plotted on a bar graph. Also, results for four of the six sites, were grouped and plotted on bar graphs for comparison.
Screenshot-772-e1658976336933-300x187.png

Figure A. Screenshot of Assess 2.0 image analysis software that calculates the percent of living tissue on the leaf discs using color thresholds to discriminate necrotic dead tissue (brown) from living tissue (green).
Blight Testing Results
The results of the leaf assay are presented in 2 graphs; the first (fig 1) displays the relative blight resistance of all the trees screened and the second graph (fig 2) displays the same information except it’s organized according to location on the the Mount Magazine Ranger District.
Leaf Assay Results

Figure 1 . Blight Testing Results. The graph displays the mean percent of living tissue for every trees screened on Mt Magazine. Trees with the greatest amount of living tissue remaining are most resistant to blight. The asterisk indicate trees with superior levels of blight tolerance and will be used as parent trees for breeding.

Figure 2. Leaf Assay (Blight Testing) Results Displayed By Location On The Mountain. I screened trees from 6 different sites on Mt Magazine Ranger District, and 4 of those sites (Greenbench, Northpointer, Major McLean, and Maggie) are displayed for comparison above. Sites on the mountain where less than 2 trees were tested per location are not shown, but you can find those trees represented in the combined graph in figure 1.
The experiment results help characterize the disease susceptibility of the Ozark chinquapin in the area and we can see (fig 1) that over 1/3 of the wild trees I screened had no living tissue after soaking in oxalic acid for 22 hours and are highly susceptible to the blight. The rest of the trees were moderately susceptible and a few had some natural genetic resistance. Keep in mind the superior trees I screened (ones that tested the best) were selected from wild populations 0f hundreds and hundreds of trees on the mountain. The three trees with asterisks (fig 1) will be used as parent trees to develop seed with improved resistance by crossing them together and with other pure resistant Ozark chinquapin parent trees in the OCF’s breeding program.
When we look at the disease susceptibility of the trees according their location (fig 2), the site we call “Northpointer” is unique because most of the trees there had at least some level of moderate tolerance to blight. The second most blight tolerant tree in the study was located in this group. Lingering remnant trees in this area could be at a slightly lower risk of complete elimination by the blight or it could be a group of more genetically robust trees. On the other hand, the site “Maggie” (where the former Arkansas state champion Ozark chinquapin was located) tested poorly and the small trees and little seedlings growing there today will most likely be eliminated by the blight within the next 15 years. The good news is we can recharge this area with blight resistant Ozark chinquapin and take advantage of the openings in the canopy created by dead chinquapin and replace them with a living tree.
The Ozark chinquapin tree has an important ecological role as a food source for wildlife and when the trees started disappearing they were replaced by oaks and other species that don’t provide the same nutritional value and consistency. The work we’re doing to return Ozark chinquapin on Mount Magazine is a conservation triumph, not just for the tree, but for the various animals and insects who benefit from them.

Just like i was hoping, our earliest planted trees have started putting out catkins - so far 2 of 5 survivors of our first planting attempt. They are "close" but not sure how "close" close needs to be be for germination. They are similar hillside about 40 yards apart. There are others of that generation closer to each one, but as of last weekend did not have catkins. The 5th tree is a loner currently, but we have been developing that site as well over the past few years, so it will be a loner for another year or 2.

I notice it looks like your chestnuts' leaves get nailed by insects too. What makes the bugs hit chestnut leaves so hard? Every year we have ants all over and eating our chestnuts' leaves.

I joined the OCF this past fall, and received 7 nuts, all sprouted, but only 3 produced growth. 2 are close enough to pollinate and the other is by itself. I’m guessing I’ll have to renew my membership annually to keep receiving more nuts. It would be a joy to add this tree to the diversity of my farm. My son and grandkids will reap the benefits from my hard labor.

Just like i was hoping, our earliest planted trees have started putting out catkins - so far 2 of 5 survivors of our first planting attempt. They are "close" but not sure how "close" close needs to be be for germination. They are similar hillside about 40 yards apart. There are others of that generation closer to each one, but as of last weekend did not have catkins. The 5th tree is a loner currently, but we have been developing that site as well over the past few years, so it will be a loner for another year or 2.
i call those loaner, sentinels. Lone rangers...

the fencing in the last photo looks like some of mine after the mower-man gets done "snagging" it. Overall nice photos; good job

the fencing in the last photo looks like some of mine after the mower-man gets done "snagging" it. Overall nice photos; good job
that is either my uncle's handiwork with a mower or deer - you never quite know - HAHA! We haven't put cameras on the groves yet since they aren't producing nuts. We will eventually though.

My crew all received our nuts again in January this year. I have started the 10 I'm in charge of and 9 are showing signs of life and 1 "dead" nut. 2 of the 10 are already starting to send up top growth, the others I expect will be coming up later this week. This cold front wasn't expected to make Houston, but looks like it will, so I'll probably bring my house for the evening as a precaution and return outside tomorrow.

Back