Ozark Chinquapin

Visited the farm over the past week, our existing Ozark chinquapins are doing great; the newest ones we’ll see - some have been drowned out, but we have about half still showing signs of life

Here are some of our 3 year olds going on 4

IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

And some of the 2 year olds going on 3

IMG_6363.JPG

View attachment 23913

What is the thoughts on when to pull the tubes? I am thinking if they are out by a foot - pull them…also, my uncle seems to think going higher with the cages, while I think going larger diameter to reduce deer browse we found - what are y’all’s thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

We have a couple really taking off right now. When we get back from vacation, I’m going to have to cage them right. Resilient little things for sure.

I see we aren’t the only ones battling sericea. :(

yessir - i hate sericea, never ending battle - we have been successful in small areas but recent years have made it tough with our schedules to get sprayed at the right time, and it is trying to make a comeback.

yessir - i hate sericea, never ending battle - we have been successful in small areas but recent years have made it tough with our schedules to get sprayed at the right time, and it is trying to make a comeback.
Yeah, the fall spraying doesn’t work very well when you don’t want to push deer off to the neighbors.

We try to spray in July just when it starts making flowers - until this year, it has been raining everytime we get to the farm in July (last 3 years). This would have worked, but my dad had other things more important on his list, and I wasn't there to push the issue (face palm).l

Will these self-pollinate? If not, can they pollinate off of Chinese or dunstan chestnut trees? Also, will these sucker more shrubs off their roots like dwarf chinquapin oaks? Sorry for 20 questions, it looks like I'm only going to be able to keep one of my 2 year old plantings alive with this drought, I didn't catch the others soon enough. I'm very frustrated with myself about this btw...

One more thing, I'm sorry if I have this mixed up with allegheny chinquapins.

I am unsure of self-pollination. I would imagine they can pollinate with other members of the families the same way that American chestnuts can pollinate with chinese and dunstans, but I'm not a botanist. As for the watering and drought, the ones you believe you lost, are the stems dead or just leaves dropping? If the stems are still alive, I'd keep watering. We are watering all that are planted and were growing even if they appear to be dead from the drought, we'll decide next year late spring or early summer when we see if they leaf out if they are dead or not.

I purchased a 40 gallon sprayer with a 20 ft hose attachment this year. My uncle is loving it - he loads up with my aunt in the side x side, fills the tank, then drives the farm filling the water buckets next to our plantings as he goes. He texted me a picture stating "Now this is what I consider my kind of farm work".

I am unsure of self-pollination. I would imagine they can pollinate with other members of the families the same way that American chestnuts can pollinate with chinese and dunstans, but I'm not a botanist. As for the watering and drought, the ones you believe you lost, are the stems dead or just leaves dropping? If the stems are still alive, I'd keep watering. We are watering all that are planted and were growing even if they appear to be dead from the drought, we'll decide next year late spring or early summer when we see if they leaf out if they are dead or not.

I purchased a 40 gallon sprayer with a 20 ft hose attachment this year. My uncle is loving it - he loads up with my aunt in the side x side, fills the tank, then drives the farm filling the water buckets next to our plantings as he goes. He texted me a picture stating "Now this is what I consider my kind of farm work".

I have an IBC tote in the back of a pick up. They can be purchased for about $75 on Clist. But if you go to a bigger farmer or a brewer likely they will just give them to you.

I have an IBC tote in the back of a pick up. They can be purchased for about $75 on Clist. But if you go to a bigger farmer or a brewer likely they will just give them to you.
If watering each summer continues to be the norm in the future, I’m going to have to invest in a better system and plan. This is the first time since we began planting trees back in ‘09 that I’ve had to water 2 summers in a row.
I should clarify that by saying this is the first time we’ve had to water for a significant period of the summer/fall, two years in a row.

Can you run black plastic pipe to your main area of watering - or do you have trees planted all over the place. I ran a half mile of pipe to my main area about seven years ago and it has made a huge difference for me

I failed to take pictures last weekend while at the farm of our Ozark Chinquapin "orchards", but all the trees are doing well - my uncle has done a great job of watering during the July/Aug drought.

We have seen great success in starting our trees in pots down in texas before transplanting in March to the farm. all of the trees started this way are still alive, and most are already reaching to the top of the tree tubes which normally doesn't happen until the second summer in previous plantings. We will be continuing this work as we get nuts.

Speaking of, i need to go sign up again.

I failed to take pictures last weekend while at the farm of our Ozark Chinquapin "orchards", but all the trees are doing well - my uncle has done a great job of watering during the July/Aug drought.

We have seen great success in starting our trees in pots down in texas before transplanting in March to the farm. all of the trees started this way are still alive, and most are already reaching to the top of the tree tubes which normally doesn't happen until the second summer in previous plantings. We will be continuing this work as we get nuts.

Speaking of, i need to go sign up again.
If you're willing, when the nuts come, I might ask if you'll sell a few.

hopefully, 2023 is the first year for nuts on our oldest trees (if not 2023, should be 2024 for sure; i thought we were close this year).

we'll see where we get to and let yall know.

My father, uncle, and I received our foundation membership nuts again this year. We are planning to do the same process this year as last, start the nuts in tubes in Texas after the last frost threat, then transport and plant them in March. We will continue tubing them, until they are "fully" out of the tops. Once they reach the tops of the tubes, we have been putting cages around them as well.

Once we pull the tree tubes off the older ones that are "fully" released from the tubes, we still need to figure out how to protect from rabbit/rodent girdling. Thinking of taking old tree tubes that we are not happy with, and cutting them down to 1 ft sections with a split, then ziptying them back closed around the tree.

My father, uncle, and I received our foundation membership nuts again this year. We are planning to do the same process this year as last, start the nuts in tubes in Texas after the last frost threat, then transport and plant them in March. We will continue tubing them, until they are "fully" out of the tops. Once they reach the tops of the tubes, we have been putting cages around them as well.

Once we pull the tree tubes off the older ones that are "fully" released from the tubes, we still need to figure out how to protect from rabbit/rodent girdling. Thinking of taking old tree tubes that we are not happy with, and cutting them down to 1 ft sections with a split, then ziptying them back closed around the tree.
We've been using cable management tubing/sleeving with a slit cut in it, to protect small trees from girdling rodents.

Started my Ozark Chinquapins last night, I received 13 from the foundation, 8 of which had started their roots, 2 haven’t started yet, 2 had mold growing, 1 was cracked. My father has a set as well and will be starting them at his house in two-three weeks. They will go in the ground in mid-April during Turkey Season at our farm.

I also had some leftover Concordia Oaks and tubes so I started them as well.

IMG_8641.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I have not done anything with Ozark Chinquapins, but I have a lot of experience with a sister tree, Allegheny Chinquapins. They are a great wildlife tree that grows natively on my place. I've propagated them both with rootmakers and direct seeding. Mine get blight, but respond differently than chestnuts. They respond to blight similar to fire. They die back and then produce new shoots from the root system. The difference is that in 2 years, they are producing nuts again, where chestnuts don't seem to produce nuts, at least not quickly, after blight.

Everything in my woods eats those little nuts!

Back