Ozark Chinquapin

My lone survivor from foundation seed.
48c3a1150f3ff5d195295974f0f5e7f9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that a single year’s growth?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
No. Planted in March 2019. I had 3 make it through the First year and into the late spring, they were about 6-8 “ tall. But we went from drought to flood, all the rain came at once and then nothing. Then worms defoliated them and this one made it. So t will be 2 in March.

Last fall’s Ozark Chinquapin planting was a success here at the house. It’ll be a bit longer to see if the ones I planted at the farm made it through.

IMG_0945.JPG

I'm still very curious as to how far north these will grow and be successful?

Quoted from a WIKI type site "Distribution: Chinkapin is native to the eastern and southern United States. Its native range is from New Jersey and West Virginia, west to Missouri and Oklahoma, and south to Texas and Florida. It has been planted in Wisconsin and Michigan where it has become a forest tree."

I was at the farm for Turkey hunting last month, and got to check on our Ozark Chinquapins. We have about 10-15 that have survived (10 or 11 from 2019 planting, and all 4 from our 2020 planting).

Here are some pics : biggest ones are from 2019 planting
IMG_2431.JPGIMG_2428.JPGIMG_2434.JPGIMG_2436.JPG

Updated pictures from yesterday of our “grove”

3rd growing season group
IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG

2nd growing season group
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG

We changed up our planting style a bit between the 2 years.

First year, we followed directions from the foundation. Have seen some success.

Last year due to Covid, we got a deep plastic pot, put a bundle of tree tubes in the pot, then filled the pot and tubes with dirt (used the tubes to keep the roots separated - basically a modified bare root seeding process). Then babied them in Texas weather until we were able to plant. This grouping is a year behind the others, and for the most part have caught them.

Per our experiment, we believe we will continue this newer process in the future. Unfortunately, we did not get any Chinquapin nuts for 2021.

I was cutting out a blowdown thicket Fri in 100 degree heat in prep for putting some ozarkensis in. I didn't last long, about a half hour, but saw that it could work. I have a chestnut in there now for proof of principal.

My father, uncle, and I received our chinquapin nuts this year. As mentioned in previous posts, we will be starting these in a "potted tree tubes" this spring, and planting those "bare roots" trees into the ground in April for turkey season. More updates to come...

We were able to get 90-95% visible germination of the nuts we received (75-80% started putting on leaves). My dad and Uncle went ahead and planted all of them, because the ones that weren’t visibly growing appeared to have started a root at some point. I will be back at the farm sometime over the next month or two, and have some picture updates.

Back