Our First Apple

KSQ2

This is kind of a big deal for us, we planted apple trees the first spring after buying our home, and yesterday I ate our first apple. They are very sweet, firm apples. Unfortunately, I’ve long since lost the tags and I’m not organized enough to write down what the trees were. All I know is they are late bearing trees, 4 trees total of 3 varieties.
96D0046F-AB64-4090-801F-50E498C96DBB.jpeg

It looks like it might be a Caney Fork Limbertwig. The ripening time would be right too.
That name doesn't sound familiar, and I can't remember where I ordered these trees from; but from you and others, I've learned that nurseries don't always get the tags right. I'll say they are some of the best tasting apples I've had in a while, more sweet and crisp than the gala's from the store, which are my favorites usually.

If firm and tart, looks a lot like what come off my Goldrush. My favorite apple (that I’ve grown, not much to compare it to)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it might be a Caney Fork Limbertwig. The ripening time would be right too.
Caney Fork Limbertwig? You must've gotten that right out of the Johnny Appleseed encyclopedia! Actually, you are an apple encyclopedia in your own right. But I'm going to challenge you here because I'm brave enough to admit that I'm wrong if proven so.
I say it's a Golden Delicious, because I picked one last week that looked exactly like it. Pick them green, and they yellow as they age, just like a pear.
14074.png

Caney Fork Limbertwig? You must've gotten that right out of the Johnny Appleseed encyclopedia! Actually, you are an apple encyclopedia in your own right. But I'm going to challenge you here because I'm brave enough to admit that I'm wrong if proven so.
I say it's a Golden Delicious, because I picked one last week that looked exactly like it. Pick them green, and they yellow as they age, just like a pear.
14074.png

I also grow what is believed to be the parent of Golden Delicious. That apple is called Grimes Golden and is a great apple too.

I also grow what is believed to be the parent of Golden Delicious. That apple is called Grimes Golden and is a great apple too.
I have several golden delicious and my opinion is that they are overrated. A good apple, but not a great apple, good for fresh eating, but they don't keep as long into the winter as some of the red varieties.
Growing up as a farm boy in a big family, we always had about twenty bushel crates of apples in the spring cellar, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Mcintosh, Rome, Goldrush, Honeycrisp etc. every afternoon someone would make an apple run, and everyone had their personal favorite variety, but by the end of the winter there were only a few kinds left.

I have several golden delicious and my opinion is that they are overrated. A good apple, but not a great apple, good for fresh eating, but they don't keep as long into the winter as some of the red varieties.
Growing up as a farm boy in a big family, we always had about twenty bushel crates of apples in the spring cellar, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Mcintosh, Rome, Goldrush, Honeycrisp etc. every afternoon someone would make an apple run, and everyone had their personal favorite variety, but by the end of the winter there were only a few kinds left.

The best part of Yellow / Golden Delicious for me is the story of how it came to market and how thieves cut through a steel cage to get scion wood. Great story for sure. The Red Delicious (the original Hawkeye) story is about as good.

I went to the started tagging all mine because of this also.Did you plant any pears?I bet you have alot of oaks over east.

Yep, we’re pretty much just planting pears and crabapples at this point. But all of our planting now is for wildlife at the farm.

Back