One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

wbpdeer

We have the responsibility to finish what we start. This project was started on a previous forum but we will use this thread to accumulate our count of trees in the ground with green leaves (alive).

Also, I will use this thread to line up orders for anyone that wishes to grow Chinese Chestnuts in containers or direct seed. One change is the US Post Office had a rate increase.

In the past I spent a great deal of time maintaining contact with first time growers. That is still important to me - helping people be successful is part of this project.

We have distributed to 26 states already in 2014 and 2015. I am looking for a person (s) from Maryland for this coming fall. That is the one state that eluded me in the past.

Regarding us counting trees - we will begin after Thanksgiving. Do I believe we reach 1,000 trees? Yes, I do. My questions is how much higher will we go.

The strength of this project is the people that participate. One of my side goals personally on this project is to getting Chinese Chestnuts from Portland TN in all 95 counties in my state. Out of the 95 I have already got seedlings in 48 of those counties. We will bump that number higher in September when temperatures cool off some.

If you want chestnuts shipped to you in Sept or Oct of this year, please send me a message. I have my 2016 Distribution List started. You can send me a conversation on this forum or email me at
wbpdeer@att.net

Thanks for reading this thread! Most of all thanks to all that have participated in this project.
My SideKick.JPG

Part of last fall's collection.

Awesome to still see you're going to do this wbp. I've gotta tell you how well the chestnut seedlings I'd gotten from you last fall are holding up to the heat we've had as of late, much better than I did yesterday for sure.

Thanks Merle. I have had good luck except one time period where I was slow to water some seedlings here at house - set them back for 3 weeks. They have regained most of what they lost.

I like tree guys and friend you are a good tree guy :).

Looking forward to when chestnuts drop in September. I did a great job at recon this spring and summer.

WPB, I told you on the old forum that I had all but given up on the seeda I got from you until I noticed some life out of one of them last month. I now have 12 growing and one more showed life this morning. Pretty happy with a lucky number of 13 trees considering I didn't think I'd have even one a few weeks ago.

The trees are all growing in my yard beside my house. I'm not sure how or when to transplant them to my hunting ground. I'm guessing I need to wait until late this fall or winter and dig them up? I'm in NE Arkansas. Thanks for your efforts.

Razorback, Time and time again I have given up on chestnuts in a container and they demonstrate they want to live. They are tough.

Glad to hear of your rebound #s. Keep them watered in the yard and watch them harden off good but you transplant them. I would guess late October might be when they slow down.

The habitat gods have been good to you. Good deal!

WPB, I told you on the old forum that I had all but given up on the seeda I got from you until I noticed some life out of one of them last month. I now have 12 growing and one more showed life this morning. Pretty happy with a lucky number of 13 trees considering I didn't think I'd have even one a few weeks ago.

The trees are all growing in my yard beside my house. I'm not sure how or when to transplant them to my hunting ground. I'm guessing I need to wait until late this fall or winter and dig them up? I'm in NE Arkansas. Thanks for your efforts.

Razorback I live in paragould so if u was going to dig mine up I would wait to they are fully dormant. Probably wouldn't hurt to wait til November but just whenever you feel the tree has gone dormant for winter.

Aren't chestnuts related to oaks? Surely it wouldnt hurt to wait until December to dig them up and transplant them.

I think I'll do that. I have about 20 chestnuts growing at our place in Smithville now that I got from Morse nursery before I got seeds from Wayne. I'll add my 13 to those and hope for the best. I'm in Jonesboro, Neahawg.

Wayne, been meaning to tell you I've got 20 from the seeds you sent me. Will transplant into their final spot later this winter.

LLC if all of the participants averaged 20 I believe we would be over 2,000 Chestnuts.

Makes me feel good to know those chestnuts from here will wind up feeding the deer on your GA farmland. Yee Haa :D

I am so glad to see you on this forum. Welcome friend.

Glad to see another tree guy made it from qdma. Excited to continue following your thread and I would be honored to plant some chestnuts to help you reach your goal!

Send me a conversation message with name, mail address, city state and zip.
I like a mobile phone # or email. I will put you on my 2016 list. I will contact folks on that list when chestnuts start dropping.

US Post Office increase flat rate box. I may be around $8 a box but I don't know right now. I shipped 111 boxes at least 52 in the box last year to 26 states. We are spread out rather well at this point.

Thanks for being on this forum and thanks for your interest in "Chinese Chestnuts".

Wayne, when I learned that the old forum was shutting down, my first thought was about all the great work you've done possibly being lost. I'm glad you're here and can finish what you started!

Wayne, when I learned that the old forum was shutting down, my first thought was about all the great work you've done possibly being lost. I'm glad you're here and can finish what you started!

Brush it is funny - that morning I got the cover on my greenhouse - boy was I pumped. It had been about 11 months from idea to seeing that cover on my very own creation. About 6 hours later I read the death sentence posted on the old place. I think CAS_Hntr beat my reply by one minute. I typed too much.
Two emotions hit me the most: 1) I was losing 100 of friends and 2) how would I effectively track all of the chestnuts trees later this year.
That was last Tuesday night and here we are on Monday night with a booming active forum. I am reminded of a lesson I have shared with a couple of hundred people I trained in the election business - If you have a problem the best way to solve it is to work it to death.

I am amazed at the work that has been done!

Brad you have been an excellent teacher and I am thankful our paths crossed.

Thank you for the kind words. I am so glad the Brushpile thread is on here.

Glad to see Chestnut man in the house! I ran the bush hog a bit at the farm on Monday. Rode by my chestnuts a few times and noticed most were doing good. WOW, some of them have big leaves! Hope to be a small part of the 1000

Back