One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

Glad to see Chestnut man in the house! I ran the bush hog a bit at the farm on Monday. Rode by my chestnuts a few times and noticed most were doing good. WOW, some of them have big leaves! Hope to be a small part of the 1000

Lak
These trees can put on some huge leaves. I learned early to watch the stem size on young seedlings. It takes a strong stem to support huge leaves in a wind. They gain flexibility rather quick. Glad yours are doing good. Going to be fun when we tally all of these up.

Last edited:
Hello Wayne, I just discovered the QDMA forum about 2 months ago and the info on there was amazing. Joined this forum this morning and would be very interested in getting some chestnut's from you. I'll shoot you an email to the address you provided and you can tell me what you need from me, thanks for all the info.

Hello Wayne, I just discovered the QDMA forum about 2 months ago and the info on there was amazing. Joined this forum this morning and would be very interested in getting some chestnut's from you. I'll shoot you an email to the address you provided and you can tell me what you need from me, thanks for all the info.

Welcome Southern Illinois Hunter. I spent some time in the Shawnee National Forest chasing big whitetails. Nov 14, 2000 my son killed our first P&Y Buck in Hardin County. That was one week to the day after the Bush Gore Presidential Election. I had to leave at 1 PM to drive back to TN for an Election Official Meeting to certify our election results.

I will be so glad to work with you on Chinese Chestnuts. Send email to wbpdeer@att.net or send me a conversation on this site.

This forum has shaped up very well. We have a super group of contributors that are members. Enjoy the ride - I know I am. ;)

Want to Try to Grow Chinese Chestnuts?

If the answer to this question is yes, then send the following info to me in a conversation on this forum:
Name
Mailing Address
City, State, Zip

Cell Phone or
Email Address

I will put you on my 2016 Distribution List (Not an Order List).
I will contact you when chestnuts start dropping

How to Grow Them?
1) In Containers or
2) Direct Seed Them

I don't know enough to grow them - what do I do?
You study what I give you and follow proven methods and you will be successful. That is what the rest of us did. :rolleyes:

You will be part of the habitat project - "One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project"
I will ship in late Sept thru early November.
Thanks for reading this thread.

36 survivors from the 2015 planting alive and thriving at this time unaffected by this years drought.

My 2016 crop started out with a bang but quite a few of them are not looking near as good as they once did. I know I'll probably lose at least 10 of them unless they root sprout. They got too dry when we went through our mini-drought and the leaves browned out however a couple of them are beginning to grow new leaves so I'm not writing them off yet.

Thank you again Wayne!

I'm glad you are here. I love your project and hope to grow my first chestnuts from seed this winter.
Glad to hear you are going to grow them inside. If I can help, let me know. If you can't find a local source of Chestnuts - keep me in mind.

I like your avatar! :D

Get them involved.

36 survivors from the 2015 planting alive and thriving at this time unaffected by this years drought.

My 2016 crop started out with a bang but quite a few of them are not looking near as good as they once did. I know I'll probably lose at least 10 of them unless they root sprout. They got too dry when we went through our mini-drought and the leaves browned out however a couple of them are beginning to grow new leaves so I'm not writing them off yet.

Thank you again Wayne!

Just because the leaves are brown - don't count them out. I have been amazed at the ability of the roots to reestablish the tree.

To rehab the ones with brown leaves - protect them from the hot afternoon sun and water the blazes out of them. I have gone to using burlap but I only wrap about 55 to 60 % of their circumference. They still get sun and good air flow.

A drip bucket beside them if they are in the field really helps with the rehab. I know more about rehab because I have dealt with the same issues - I just have larger numbers. Taking your numbers you will be around 70 for Year A + B.

Oh does that make me happy. :D

Thanks for your post.

Just because the leaves are brown - don't count them out. I have been amazed at the ability of the roots to reestablish the tree.

To rehab the ones with brown leaves - protect them from the hot afternoon sun and water the blazes out of them. I have gone to using burlap but I only wrap about 55 to 60 % of their circumference. They still get sun and good air flow.

A drip bucket beside them if they are in the field really helps with the rehab. I know more about rehab because I have dealt with the same issues - I just have larger numbers. Taking your numbers you will be around 70 for Year A + B.

Oh does that make me happy. :D

Thanks for your post.

No need to water anymore Wayne - we've went from not being able to buy a drop of rain for two months to one of the wettest Julys on record here. We seem to be getting rain every other day now - and large amounts!

Just sent you an email to be added to the list. Really appreciate you doing this. It's a great service to all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sent you an email to be added to the list. Really appreciate you doing this. It's a great service to all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks 144. I received your email and I added you to my distribution list and replied to your email. So glad you are here.

Looking forward to the things we learn together and the fun we have along the way. :D

I always keep up on this thread Wbp but seldom post since not much to add. I need to get some pics of growth of chestnuts you provided. At my farm they did poorly since we were in a drought and I had no way to water. But some were also planted at three other farms where they could water and growth has been decent but not amazing. Hopefully this fall they will get chance to get a jump. Thanks for all the info.

I always keep up on this thread Wbp but seldom post since not much to add. I need to get some pics of growth of chestnuts you provided. At my farm they did poorly since we were in a drought and I had no way to water. But some were also planted at three other farms where they could water and growth has been decent but not amazing. Hopefully this fall they will get chance to get a jump. Thanks for all the info.

Dogghr
Your post makes a good point we all should remember. Chestnuts planted in the same zone / climate will do differently based upon the availability of water. Heck on the same farm - trees planted 75 feet apart will do differently because we don't see 2 and 3 feet below the ground. What the roots encounter or don't encounter can make or break a tree. On slopes the differences in the soil can be dramatic.

Regarding those seedlings without water - the Chinese Chestnuts are tough in my estimation. Don't count them out as they struggle against the drought. Please post any photos you wish to post. I don't want beginners to think every one of their seedlings will look perfect - mine don't.

On the farm where watering is not possible - I would plant more on that farm to offset any losses I might incur. I want to get established so factor in the losses. I sure am glad you are in this project. Thank you. :)

Wayne (and all):

Quick question: How long until the trees start producing? I've read 6-7 years from nursery sites.

My update:
I received nuts last fall, put them in zip lock bags in the fridge and promptly forgot about them until my wife asked me in April how long I was going to leave them in the back of the fridge. By that time, a few had sprouted in the bags!

I direct seeded 25 nuts on May 14, 2016 and installed weed mats and tree tubes. On June 14, 2016 I had 4 seedlings (and was slightly disappointed). On July 10, 2016, I had 20 seedlings; some with serious growth. I dug up the 5 nuts that didn't sprout and a few had molded. I replanted all 5 bad nuts with leftover nuts and we'll see what happens. I will update with pictures and growth progress next time I'm at the Lodge.

My plan this fall is to plant another 25-50 trees via direct seeding with weed mats and tree tubes. However, I'll plant in the fall and let them winter in the ground and they should sprout naturally next spring. I imbed the tree tubes an inch or two below the soil surface, which keeps the critters out.

Thanks again, Wayne for leading this charge!

I think 6-7 years is about the average though some could be earlier and some later. As far as direct seeding in the fall I think most that go that route plant two to each tube in case one doesn't sprout and cull whichever doesn't grow as well as the other.

Wayne (and all):

Quick question: How long until the trees start producing? I've read 6-7 years from nursery sites.

wbpdeer reply is -
It depends on numerous factors. How much stress does nature dump on them - year after year. Do you water them in year one? Do you use a weed mat or landscape fabric? Do you use moisture mizer at planting time? What is the rainfall for the first five years? Do you have horrible luck like Brushpile and get years of drought?

Here is what I think - I planted 42 chestnuts in the spring of 2015. I believe 20 to 25% of them will bear in 2020. Pollination by nearby chestnuts is important to have burrs that contain nuts.

In my heart of heart - I think lower stress on the tree and we get nuts sooner. But nobody can control rainfall and when it delivered and in what volume. Regarding my 42 trees - some of them will be early - I treat them kings - they are entitled. I am 63 year old - I want them to bear soon.

Thanks for kind words LodgeWI. :rolleyes: Welcome to this forum.

My reply is above. Click on Expand to see it. Sorry

6ba974dd30917bbe81122865def21d99.jpg

Handful of Chinese chestnuts that have growing. Some will be ready for the field this fall while others will be ready to upgrade pots.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Catscratch

I love the rootmaker that have the ventilation holes on the side. They are costly but very effective. I have some but am doing other things fast and buying more of them will be put on the back burner.

The Chinese Chestnut puts out some big leaves.

Beginners take note - he has them tucked up against the house. I very wise practice that helps manage shade and sun. Catscratch is teacher and he and I worked together on a class project last year. Looking forward to round 2.

Thanks friend.

Wayne, I'm really glad to see you here. You and jack really got me going on the chestnuts last year, and most of what you sent are doing great!! I do want to give the direct seeding a chance this year, I almost gave up on about 15 of the nuts you sent, and rather than toss em, I planted them behind my garage as a what the hell. Glad to say, the nuts I thought were done for after my basement greenhouse effort have all come up and are about 1.5' tall!! Gonna fall plant everything around September 15th and protect em. I'm really grateful for your dedication to this, as I find it more important to reintroduce something that was gone for the most part in Illinois. I feel like growing the chestnut is the best of both worlds. Re-establish a lost species and provide great wildlife food! Thanks Wayne!

Timrod,

Thank you for the generous and kind words. The behind the garage story is funny but true. For me - this year it was about 16 DCO just fried. I jut put them on top of a protective cage still in the rootmaker 18 express tray. I have two of them that are green now - about 1.5 inches tall. Those of you that don't know about DCO - they are slow!!! I am proud of two extra DCOs that are under 2 inches.

Repeatedly I learn to be patient - nature's way is patient. Glad to know you will increase our 1,000 Chestnuts Tree count.
Thanks again Timrod. :)

Back