One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

Wow, your guys's chestnuts are doing great! Mine are struggling big time. Not sure what happened as I did cold storage the same as last yr but as of right now I'm looking at mostly failure.

Wow, your guys's chestnuts are doing great! Mine are struggling big time. Not sure what happened as I did cold storage the same as last yr but as of right now I'm looking at mostly failure.
Same happened to me last year, I've done the same thing and got way different results.

I just checked mine and I have a few radicles poking out. Gonna go ahead and plant all of them in rootmakers outside today.

b541fca502d6fcfa27f38282a540739f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

FT

That is a good looking tray. I am better off than Catscratch is but mine are slow this year. It is times like this it is about patience. It will happen - just takes long to get to the starting line.

FT - I think most would tray with you 'cause your tray looks like they are on the same schedule.

Congrats

Wayne

Bottomland,

Be sure to protect them outside when the chestnuts are still in the containers. Critters have a powerful nose and once they find them they will cause major destruction. Squirrels, chipmunks, mice and rats are your enemy. Just don't want to see you lose them after getting them close.

Wayne

Got 'em planted. Temps have been mild. 50-80 degrees. They should be fine. I usually put some wire mesh to protect them. Luckily we don't have any squirrels down here (I live in rice field country).

c1c259aea2814054410e86b23a85f762.jpg

Planted 50 chestnuts today. Big thanks to wbpdeer Wayne for the chestnuts and all the advice. The old pool has cracks in the bottom so it will not hold water. They are bagged in my DIY weed barrier cloth bags we will see how they work. Also using our small chicken tractor to protect them from the tree rats.

Sam that looks great.

Most of us love and practice DIY stuff to some degree. Be a pretty sight when they put on top growth. The pool will make moving them fairly simple - as avoid total sunlight when temps get warmer.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

All but a few has radicals

a8fb87dcf77512aa994709030f366bd6.jpg

I used an equal mixture of all 3

f9cbc3c27755a8273a5190c649867952.jpg

All planted and under the grow lights

f1eff742b1519063b4c0442933fa198a.jpg

I planted the 5 without radicals in a pot and put it by a window facing south. Let's see what happens

e0db9ca8e32796e0304b8c33dd099a30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I count up the numbers and I am saying that is 36 in the rootmaker 18s and 5 in the pot by the window for 41 total.

If you have a chicken light or reflector light that you can put on the five in the window it will help them. Sunlight will be weak in winter and they need that extra light. What do you think the temperature is for those five by the window. I hope we can get in the low 70s. I see a collection bowl for the water over flow on the five by the window. If it have a heating pad, put that under the collection light. If you have a timer, run it 14 hours on and 10 hours off for a few days. May sure those five are watered good when you run the heat. I am saying that would jump start them.

Do you have room on the farm for 30+ chestnut seedlings to be planted? Just helps to think ahead. The radicles lead me to believe you are going to have a bunch of seedlings make it.

Good post - thanks for sharing. Your show and tell approach is always fun to follow.

Wayne

So I count up the numbers and I am saying that is 36 in the rootmaker 18s and 5 in the pot by the window for 41 total.

If you have a chicken light or reflector light that you can put on the five in the window it will help them. Sunlight will be weak in winter and they need that extra light. What do you think the temperature is for those five by the window. I hope we can get in the low 70s. I see a collection bowl for the water over flow on the five by the window. If it have a heating pad, put that under the collection light. If you have a timer, run it 14 hours on and 10 hours off for a few days. May sure those five are watered good when you run the heat. I am saying that would jump start them.

Do you have room on the farm for 30+ chestnut seedlings to be planted? Just helps to think ahead. The radicles lead me to believe you are going to have a bunch of seedlings make it.

Good post - thanks for sharing. Your show and tell approach is always fun to follow.

Wayne
We keep it pretty warm in here thanks to a pellet stove, as far as having space to plant 30 trees.....I do, do i have the ambition is another story lol I plan on planting some here at home. Some are going to friends and the rest will be planted at my cabin

Spread the wealth - John.

Avoid watering too often and the chestnuts should do good in the rootmaker 18s.

Wayne

Germination (Top Growth) Update on Feb 8th, 2017

I got started late for me - Jan 13th and 14th. Germination has been slower than other years.

3 Trays of Chinese Chestnuts from Taylor Location 39 with top growth - 72% with more to come
2 Trays of Swamp White Oak from CAS_Hntr 29 with top growth - 81 % with more to come
2 Trays of DCO from Blitz (Mice Hit What Was 3 Trays) 33 with top growth - 92% and I think they are Done!
1 Tray of Late Dropping Saw Tooth from Hendersonville with 11 with top growth - 61% with more to come (just beginning)
1 Tray of Chinese Chestnuts from Fowler Ford Location 7 with top growth - 39% with more to come
1 Tray of Chinese Chestnuts Ms. Pauline's Location 6 with top growth - 33% with more to come
1 Tray of Chinese Chestnuts PA Dye Location with 9 with top growth - 50% with more to come (Legacy Trees 2 Me)
1 Tray of Chinese Chestnuts from Collins Location with 13 with top growth - 72% with more to come
1 Tray of Chinkapin from Catscratch 4 with top growth - 22% with more to come [ A Puzzle to Me - I goofed somehow]
1 Tray of 25 Concordia from Missouri 13 with top growth - 52% with more to come [late starters - small acorns - double in few cells]

Three tubes of 20 Burs per Tube 28 with top growth out of 60 for 47%

Had two bitter cold nights and for the first time ever one mouse got in one grow box and went to town on three trays of DCO. I put out 9 trays and caught one mouse. I reworked the DCO.

The Swamp White Oak are pretty and growing large leaves. I love these and this is my first time.

Hopeful for the Bur as they have a huge acorn. Super large and I want them on our farm.

The Fowler Ford Location is where I have access to the 30 tree grove. Those nuts are anemic this time regarding top growth.

The PA Dye Chestnuts are trees that will be cut down in a few years. My wife's grandfather planted these trees. These potential trees mean a great deal to me.

The Taylor Chestnuts are trees I was allowed to pick under this time and are magnificent trees. That is why I started with 3 trays of them.

The Chinkapin had the best looking radicles. I don't know how I goofed but I stumbled somewhere on these - at least it appears that way now. :rolleyes:

I am a third year grow box grower. This years things have moved slower but it is not how you begin the race but how you finish.

I will try to get another update around March 1st - at that point we should be finished on top growth verses the not viable group.

Thanks for reading this thread. :)

Wayne

FamilyTradition

You got it set up good. They are ready to reach for the skies. Congrats on getting a good setup in place.

I want to teach just a bit. Look at the last photo in the previous post. The tray on the bottom right - look at how the stem of some chestnuts are pushed toward the corner of cell - well away from the center of cell.

That occurred when you positioned the chestnut in the growing media. You need to learn which end the radicle comes out of the chestnut. Knowing that - you need to position the chestnut in the cell so the radicle and stem are as close to the center of growing container as possible. That means the chestnut actually gets position to the side of the very center when we stick them in growing media.

In that section of the lower right container, I see three chestnuts that have a stem pushed way toward the corner.

Do you understand the point I am making?

Just trying to help. Those will still make good seedlings but there is a trick to positioning the chestnut properly.

Wayne

I made same mistake with my chestnut oak acorns. They were so big, i placed the acorn in the center. I should have placed it off to the side with the radicle end coming out in the center of the media.

If you move the seedlings to a larger container 12 to 14 weeks down the road at that time you can center the seedling to over come the situation. Ideally we want the roots to grow the same distance on each side of the stem.

Wayne

Last edited:
Back