One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

Got mine today, check will be in the mail tomorrow.

I taught Jr. And sr. High science for the first three years out of college, that was plenty for me!

Planted 6 of my Chinese Chestnuts (from Wayne) today to fill in an odd shaped corner that I don't want to plot anymore. A couple of weeks ago I did throw n mow with clover and intend to just keep it mowed from now on. I was racing a thunderstorm and night so I got everything done except deer protection. Hopefully the don't get eaten tonight.
be55d1101d70533e2716c5fb64aeb44e.jpg
1409627e3d18f847ca1d98161a4d534d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Good looking seedlings Catscratch. I like the idea of your deer feeding under those trees - just not on them.

I love those containers for growing. Allows up to plant a great ball of soil with roots intact.

Thanks for sharing.

^^^ easiest containers I've ever planted from!
There were deer in the plot within 10 minutes of me leaving it. Hopefully they didn't take an interest in the trees.
37c4a55c35b9347fbce1da8e0e79ee1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This has been a very busy chestnut season for me. Each time I find a chestnut laying in the grass, I think the word "tree" for each and every one. I believe we can say this is positive thinking on my part. Chestnuts are vigorous growers. It is our job to put them in the right situation to become what nature intended.

I got an order early this morning - or at least I saw it early this morning. I work four different forums - the deer hunter forum is my base - shall I say it is my home forum. When I interact with people I tell them where my resources are located.

On Sunday I encountered two young bow hunters. I suggested this forum to one of them - they became a member last night. A member of another forum also became a member here.

I hope each of us share the existence of this forum and let people decide what is a good fit for them. It is too difficult to have a positive outcome with a negative attitude.

I hope each forum member that reads this post will make it their goal to bring two new members to this forum by sharing that it exist. 600 is soon going to be our next milestone.

Thanks for reading this post.

Hey,I have those addresses for you whenever you are interested.I stopped at those trees yesterday and there are still lots hanging on one of them it seems,this cooler weather makes planting soo much better for me.

Hey,I have those addresses for you whenever you are interested.I stopped at those trees yesterday and there are still lots hanging on one of them it seems,this cooler weather makes planting soo much better for me.
Diamond Hunter-

I have some chestnuts from those trees I would give to you if you want them. It would be right since you pointed in out to me. If you don't want them, I have some others you might want. To eat or direct seed. I appreciate you sharing this information/location with me.

I am so tired of counting chestnuts I could scream. I took 24 orders to the PO this morning - I have now shipped 94 orders.

Cool weather is finally arrived! Thank goodness.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1472732488000.jpg I found a few today Wayne. This tree used to make every year then a few years ago just blanks. I thought there must have been another tree close that got cut down, but it has a few good chestnuts this year.
5ca7883ffd94318f49832c5b1c08e469.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
WBP thanks for the offer,every time I pass that tree I get 5 or 6 nuts to eat,Im just fine.BTW,I have chinkapins in the cooler for you and still waiting for the nuts from Missouri,thanks,John

Hey,what about weighing a couple lots of chestnuts 50 at a time and getting an average weight and then just weighing the parcels you send out?Different trees may make this hard if that's the reason you cant I would understand that.

hey Wpddeer ,,
I got my seeds and hope to have better luck with them ,, Like I said earlier I thought I lost them all and Saturday I checked the flags around the yard and was surprised I had 1 make it ..will be checking the deer woods flags after season to see if any made it we dont go rampageing thru the woods during season will keep ya posted

hey Wpddeer ,,
I got my seeds and hope to have better luck with them ,, Like I said earlier I thought I lost them all and Saturday I checked the flags around the yard and was surprised I had 1 make it ..will be checking the deer woods flags after season to see if any made it we dont go rampageing thru the woods during season will keep ya posted
You know what one chestnut tree needs? Another one to pollenate it. Glad you have one that made it. Now we have nuts - soon to be seedlings to pollenate that single.

Weather has cooled off here - finally.

Thanks
WBP

Yes sir. Please do. I'll direct seed the first batch you sent and throw the next batch in rootmakers.

Today I shipped 26 orders to various states. This chestnut season has been super good. To date, I have shipped 120 orders.

If you want any chestnuts you better jump in fast. This ole redneck is tired of counting.

Send me name, mail address, city state zip and either an email address or a cell phone.
26 Orders Sept 27th.jpg

Thanks for reading this thread.

Wayne,
I got in from work today and it was just like Christmas! Chestnuts from you, the new fedco catalog, and a flyer from the MDC reminding me it's ordering time. Your check will be in the mail tomorrow. Thank you again.

Wayne,
I got in from work today and it was just like Christmas! Chestnuts from you, the new fedco catalog, and a flyer from the MDC reminding me it's ordering time. Your check will be in the mail tomorrow. Thank you again.

Your bag of chestnuts would be rated the largest I have shipped out. I hope they grow as well as I think they will. Neahawg will be jealous and me too.

Good luck with the trees. The Vols take on them GA Dogs Saturday. Got my fingers crossed!

Your bag of chestnuts would be rated the largest I have shipped out. I hope they grow as well as I think they will. Neahawg will be jealous and me too.

Good luck with the trees. The Vols take on them GA Dogs Saturday. Got my fingers crossed!
I'd say I taught him well, but his trees always grow taller than mine lol.

Back