One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

UPDATE

September 19th (Monday) I shipped out 29 boxes of Chinese Chestnuts. I have sent Private Messages (Conversation), Emails and Text to the individuals who are in the first batch of outgoing chestnuts. I plan on shipping on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Then I will not ship again until next Monday. I go to great lengths to make sure nothing get stuck in a Post Office over a weekend.

Please be patient, I have 114 orders at this time.

If you want some chestnuts - you better get in soon. Thanks to all participants - present and past.

Did you get my response Wayne? I'll take a box sir.

Yes Mitch. I added you to the distribution list. I had a family event that took me out for some time. Back at it now. I will communicate when shipping time arrives.

Thanks
Wayne

If you have another box.. please put my name in the pot.
Just registered here... came over from QD..
I will add you to the list when you provide me the following info:

Name
Mailing Address
City State Zip

Either a cell phone or an email address.

You can send me a private message here (start a conversation) or you can email me the info at

wbpdeer@att.net

Thanks for the order. I am waiting for your info.

I shipped enough boxes today to bring my overall total up to 50. I believe I have 115 on the list so I have at least 65 to go.

On Wednesday, I am shipping to TN and KY. I live on the TN/KY state line. I am confident this chestnuts will get to their destination before the weekend. I think I have 20 lined up for Wednesday.

Next Monday will be a big shipping date. I have to collect more chestnuts - my stash is running low.

I have not mixed up chestnuts this year - I have kept my chestnuts from each location together. The only time I mix them up is right before I bag them up. One of my new sources has a specific tree that drops the largest chestnuts I have come across. Easy to see them on the ground!

I am still taking orders. It is early in the chestnut season. Provide me name, mailing address, city state zip plus either a cell phone or an email address.

Thanks for reading this thread. ;)

I got a bag last year and direct seeded (with tubes and weed cloth) about half of them, the other half went into a planter to be given as christmas presents to friends/family. All but about 5 or 6 sprouted and are doing VERY well. I planted 3 or 4 other varities of chestnuts and none are doing as well as the ones I got from you!!

Many thanks for what you are doing!!

Been out collecting at one of my favorite trees. It is holding longer than normal but has good chestnuts in the burs.

Rustybucket, I appreciate the kind words. I give you credit for your successes - your seedlings did well because you cared for them timely and properly.

Congrats for a successful 2015.

Wayne,
Recieved mine today, now what ? Lol . Thank you sir. I'll get a check out tomorrow
Get them into five different bags. Put holes in one side of the sandwich bag with a toothpick. Now put all five bags in a fridge that is about 34 degrees.

Once you do that you can stop worrying and begin to read up some.

Wayne

Get them into five different bags. Put holes in one side of the sandwich bag with a toothpick. Now put all five bags in a fridge that is about 34 degrees.

Wayne
I've been reading up on it. They're in the fridge now. going to home cheapo tomorrow to get some moss to put in the bags.

Last edited:
I hydrated them good and then shipped them. I would do one of two methods in the fridge: 1) store them dry in the five bags with holes in one side or 2) store them in long fibered Spagnum Moss that is damp from soaking in water and then squeezing all of the moisture out you can.

A photo of what to use
Sphagnum Moss Bag.JPG

My feelings on regular peat moss - it holds too much moisture and promotes mold and I see more chestnuts get soft with it.

The photo above is what I use and I buy it at Lowes.

If you store them dry in the fridge or store them in the item above - set your phone to check on them one month.

Last edited:

Wayne
It's okay to put them dry in a ziploc baggie with holes poked in one side? OR the sphagnum moss? Either one works?

It's okay to put them dry in a ziploc baggie with holes poked in one side? OR the sphagnum moss? Either one works?
Mitch,

Some people start them dry and allow that to rock along a month to 6 weeks. Then they add the moist (not wet or dripping wet Sphagnum Moss) at that point. I hydrated the chestnuts good (over night) so if we keep extra moisture down we think we reduce mold. If mold is going to occur - it happens early as in the first month.

Mitch, when I keep mine in the fridge for 80-85 days, when they come out I will soak them for about 4 hours and then put them in my growing containers. Not every fridge is the same - some will lower the moisture content of the Chinese Chestnut too much. If moisture is too low, we see germination slow or reduced.

Could you follow this ole teacher's explanation.

Mitch,

Some people start them dry and allow that to rock along a month to 6 weeks. Then they add the moist (not wet or dripping wet Sphagnum Moss) at that point. I hydrated the chestnuts good (over night) so if we keep extra moisture down we think we reduce mold. If mold is going to occur - it happens early as in the first month.

Mitch, when I keep mine in the fridge for 80-85 days, when they come out I will soak them for about 4 hours and then put them in my growing containers. Not every fridge is the same - some will lower the moisture content of the Chinese Chestnut too much. If moisture is too low, we see germination slow or reduced.

Could you follow this ole teacher's explanation.
Hahahaha....you're a fellow teacher as well?
Awesome. There are days......LIKE TODAY.......when I wonder what in the world am I doing?! There is a reason I have a beard and head of grey hair and i'm not even 40 yet! :)))

So it's okay to just put a few in a zip loc bag, poke a few holes and let that go for a month or so? Sphagnum moss after that? I haven't decided if i'm going to direct seed these or try placing them in 1 gallon rootmakers....?

This is what I did. Hope its right lol. Soaked the sphagnum moss then squeezed as much water out as I can. Put a layer of moss in a gallon bag with holes poked in one side. Placed 8 to 10 chestnuts in and a layer of moss on top.

Hahahaha....you're a fellow teacher as well?
Awesome. There are days......LIKE TODAY.......when I wonder what in the world am I doing?! There is a reason I have a beard and head of grey hair and i'm not even 40 yet! :)))

So it's okay to just put a few in a zip loc bag, poke a few holes and let that go for a month or so? Sphagnum moss after that? I haven't decided if i'm going to direct seed these or try placing them in 1 gallon rootmakers....?
I taught Junior College 3 Years in Waycross GA. Later I taught Elementary PE for 8 Years in Sumner County where I live. Left education to make more money.

This is what I did. Hope its right lol. Soaked the sphagnum moss then squeezed as much water out as I can. Put a layer of moss in a gallon bag with holes poked in one side. Placed 8 to 10 chestnuts in and a layer of moss on top.

That is an excellent approach. The sphagnum moss fights against mold. It will also keep them damp but not wet as in turn them soft.

Back