OFFICIAL 2021 Nut/Seed Exchange Thread

Fishman

The yearly nut/seed exchange thread in my opinion is one of the best things about this forum. It didn't seem to generate a lot of interest last year, but hopefully this year it will get back to where it was in the past. The purpose of this thread is for everyone to post any extra nuts, acorns, or seeds that you have and are willing to trade with other members. It does not have to be just tree seeds. Feel free to post any seeds that you think a habitat manager may want. You don't have to have anything to trade to get in on this though. Most members will gladly send you a box of seeds if you pay for postage. A USPS small flat rate box is only $8 and can fit quite a few acorns in it. Here is your chance to acquire some different species that you may not have access to. Please post what you have available and also post what species you are looking to acquire. Feel free to contact members in this thread, but it may be a good idea to send them a private mail also so they don't overlook your post.

Last edited:
I will go first. I currently have sawtooth oak, live oak, persimmon seeds, redbud, a handful of Chickasaw plums, and American beautyberry. I should be able to acquire Nuttall oak, Shumard oak, swamp chestnut oak, white oak, water oak, willow oak, and overcup oak once they start to fall. I tend to be selective in the trees that I collect acorns from, so these are usually the best producers around my parts.

I am interested in acquiring any columnar oaks such as Crimson Spire or Regal Prince or any hybrid oaks that you may have. I would love to try planting strawberry bush also.

Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Last edited:
Looking for Allegheny Chinquapin

Have a few of my Chinese\Buck IV cross chestnuts that I can share if anyone is interested as well as a limited supply of Concordia Oak. Also some really large Burr oak but I’ll need to go check the tree and see what it looks like.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to send you a private mail Matt. I was able to get out today and collect a few chinquapins. I had told you in your message back in July that I might have some and now I do. Will 30-35 be enough?

Have a few of my Chinese\Buck IV cross chestnuts that I can share if anyone is interested as well as a limited supply of Concordia Oak. Also some really large Burr oak but I’ll need to go check the tree and see what it looks like.

Matt

I'm interested in some of the Buck IV nuts. The only interesting thing I have to trade right now is some burr oaks from the "famous" John Hershey trees, which are supposed to be ultra low tannin. Some tree nuts say you can eat them raw. (I took his word for it) I also have some (thronless) honey locust pods, but they may have been picked too early. I may head back this weekend, and could find some hicans. (pecan/hicory cross)

The (Very Gentle) Fight to Save a Downingtown Food Forest (phillymag.com)

Last edited:
I probably have 50+ sawtooth in my general area I’ve been collecting from. They’re dropping September-probably November on some trees.

I’m interested in DCO’s if anyone has a few to spare.

I have a few (20-30) Concordia Oak acorns if anyone is interested.

I would love to get some Chinese chestnuts or Chinese chestnut hybrids if anyone has any to spare.

Matt

Hook me up Matt! I need some seed.

My trees flopped this year for some reason so I have no seed for next year at the moment. Have like 5 burrs on the trees is it and not sure if they even have nuts.

Hook me up Matt! I need some seed.

My trees flopped this year for some reason so I have no seed for next year at the moment. Have like 5 burrs on the trees is it and not sure if they even have nuts.

Lol you just need some burr oak?

No I got burr oak. I need some chestnut! I was saying my chestnut trees only have a few burrs on them. Not sure what happened to them.

I'm interested in some of the Buck IV nuts. The only interesting thing I have to trade right now is some burr oaks from the "famous" John Hershey trees, which are supposed to be ultra low tannin. Some tree nuts say you can eat them raw. (I took his word for it) I also have some (thronless) honey locust pods, but they may have been picked too early. I may head back this weekend, and could find some hicans. (pecan/hicory cross)

The (Very Gentle) Fight to Save a Downingtown Food Forest (phillymag.com)

I’m not really interested in anything but I can send you a dozen Buck IV nuts or so. The trees haven’t started dropping yet. Should be another couple of weeks. However we had a late frost\winter storm this year that seems to have affected their production this year which is why production is limited. At least that’s what I’m blaming it on.

Matt

I'd be interested in some Concordia oaks too. They shouldn't have a problem in 6a/6b, right? All the parents grow just fine here.

I don't have any trades, but would be interested in buying DCO, AC and chestnuts for my son's property in NE Kansas that I am working on.
Maynard

Checked the big Burr Oak today. They are still at least a couple weeks away from dropping. Picked one off the tree but it was still very green.

e0fba7c20c14fbb2464a0f7a631eb3b4.jpg

I don't have any trades, but would be interested in buying DCO, AC and chestnuts for my son's property in NE Kansas that I am working on.
Maynard
I sent you a PM about the Allegheny chinquapins that that you are interested in acquiring.

Maynard

Hello M. R. I do believe in the past you have gotten some chinese chestnuts from me. I would be glad to send you a box for your son's property. I will only need the postage paid for, the nuts will be free. I love the thought of you helping him, so I wish to be part of that effort.

If you are interested, send me a private message on here with the Name and proper mailing address. After you receive the chestnuts and are please then you can send me the payment.

Wayne Pruett
Portland, TN

Back