NSWG

Jon

I am certain there are threads on this topic, but I figured Id ask this question. I am going through the process of generating switchgrass (cave in rock more than likely) going into next year in a few specific areas.

I no longer have access to a no-till nor could I really get one back down the trails in certain areas. From a planning standpoint, I typically consider spraying areas in the Fall, frost seed and then manage with mowing (or possibly pre-emergent if need be) the next several years (If I can get away with it Id stick to mowing). I know lots depends on the ground, what's in the area and what tends to evade open ground... but has anyone planted an annual (say oats a month before frost), then frost seeded switchgrass then just managed by mowing without herbicides and had success? Or are there any perennials that provide some support as cool seasons creep in but will not eliminate the opportunity for the switchgrass to grow once warm season begins. I'm just interested in what folks have done, I have seeded into corn, old sod etc. but I have always used herbicides and I am interested in getting away from that on land due to proximity of waterways etc.

Back