No Till Food Plot Advice Needed

BamaHunter88

I have never tried any of the no till methods. I am going to be doing them this year. I have already started spraying with glyphosate.

The areas I am planting are around 1/4 acre. They are overgrown about chest height.

What would be the best method for no till planting in heavy thatch? I’m worried about seed to soil contact.

My thoughts are that you worst problem is going to be too much debris on top of the seed once you mow. Two of the biggest problems with T&M are too little debris and too much debris. With weeds chest high, I think the latter could be an issue for you.

However, I think heavy on the grains (wheat/rye/oats) would be your best bet the first year, but I would also add other stuff too. If you could mow high and not get as much debris down on the seed at one time, that might help too.

After you have done T&M a few times, you start getting a "feel" for what works. Have fun this first year, because I guarantee you it will be fun. Also look for some threads where people terminate a grain crop and "roll" it down over newly planted seed. That works well with weeds too.

Yes I am open to whatever method will work best for this year to get me started. How would you handle this situation? The easiest and fastest way possible while still getting god results. I’m very busy so I don’t have a lot of time to devote. That’s how it has gotten so overgrown this summer.

Yes I am open to whatever method will work best for this year to get me started. How would you handle this situation? The easiest and fastest way possible while still getting god results. I’m very busy so I don’t have a lot of time to devote. That’s how it has gotten so overgrown this summer.

If you had not sprayed already I would suggest cutting it as high as possible, give it a couple weeks, then spray, then see and mow low.
Being in Alabama you should have a lot more growing season left.

My thoughts are that you worst problem is going to be too much debris on top of the seed once you mow. Two of the biggest problems with T&M are too little debris and too much debris. With weeds chest high, I think the latter could be an issue for you.

However, I think heavy on the grains (wheat/rye/oats) would be your best bet the first year, but I would also add other stuff too. If you could mow high and not get as much debris down on the seed at one time, that might help too.

After you have done T&M a few times, you start getting a "feel" for what works. Have fun this first year, because I guarantee you it will be fun. Also look for some threads where people terminate a grain crop and "roll" it down over newly planted seed. That works well with weeds too.

And be patient

Rewards are not immediate but the end results are gratifying

bill

Yes we do have a few more months of growing season. I just didn’t want to wait too long and be running behind. I’m open to any advice. How high is too high for throw and mow?

Well the first thing since you said you have limited time, quit your job, quit going to church, and tell the family you will see them in January. Priorities.
Not sure what you have to mow with but.... mow the crap out of it now. Let it lay. Go back in 3 wks mow the crap our of the thatch laying on the ground. Then for your area, mid Sept to mid Oct broadcast WR, RC, oats. Spread few bags of pellet lime, 19-19-19. Run over it with your mower, tractor, atv, or car. Enjoy your plot.

Well the first thing since you said you have limited time, quit your job, quit going to church, and tell the family you will see them in January. Priorities.
Not sure what you have to mow with but.... mow the crap out of it now. Let it lay. Go back in 3 wks mow the crap our of the thatch laying on the ground. Then for your area, mid Sept to mid Oct broadcast WR, RC, oats. Spread few bags of pellet lime, 19-19-19. Run over it with your mower, tractor, atv, or car. Enjoy your plot.
What is WR and RC? Also what specific oats? Thank you!

What is WR and RC? Also what specific oats? Thank you!

WR winter rye or WW Winter wheat and RC Red clover. I use cheap reclaim oats from my feed store. But many use name brand BOB oats and for your smaller plot is not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get much better germination from wheat than oats. Winter rye is not a southern thing - more so winter wheat. I would go with a mix of winter wheat and ladino or durana clover. Mow right now. Plant first week of Oct when heat is subsiding, drought is subsiding, army worms are subsiding, your plot has put on some decent growth in the next two months to throw and mow into. And let me qualify this - I have planted food plots at work and for personal use over the last 42 years - and I am one for six on throw and mow. Timely rain will make you a hero or a zero.

I get much better germination from wheat than oats. Winter rye is not a southern thing - more so winter wheat. I would go with a mix of winter wheat and ladino or durana clover. Mow right now. Plant first week of Oct when heat is subsiding, drought is subsiding, army worms are subsiding, your plot has put on some decent growth in the next two months to throw and mow into. And let me qualify this - I have planted food plots at work and for personal use over the last 42 years - and I am one for six on throw and mow. Timely rain will make you a hero or a zero.
Thank you very much! Is there another method you recommend with higher success rate? I’m open to anything.

Thank you very much! Is there another method you recommend with higher success rate? I’m open to anything.

I have had much more consistent success with tillage or ground disturbance of some sort. But, I have had some type of equipment to do that with, also. I planted to throw n mow plots last fall - same day, 1/4 mile apart - in same type of ground. One was my most successful tnm ever, the other barely had a seed germinate. Go heavy on your seeding rate

Yes we do have a few more months of growing season. I just didn’t want to wait too long and be running behind. I’m open to any advice. How high is too high for throw and mow?

I understand how you feel

i get excited reading about our northern buddies planting and feel the temptation to "jump the gun" and plant too soon

Best results in east texas ( for me) when planting late september/early october

bill

I understand how you feel

i get excited reading about our northern buddies planting and feel the temptation to "jump the gun" and plant too soon

Best results in east texas ( for me) when planting late september/early october

bill
The only reason I was in a hurry is because our bow season opens oct 15th. Should I plant a fall plot early for bow season or next year let my spring plot provide for bow season? I would like to have everything done by mid September so I’m not disturbing too much right before bow season opens. What do you think?

The only reason I was in a hurry is because our bow season opens oct 15th. Should I plant a fall plot early for bow season or next year let my spring plot provide for bow season? I would like to have everything done by mid September so I’m not disturbing too much right before bow season opens. What do you think?
If you plant late September you'll have a lime green carpet of three inch shoots by opening day. (provided you get some rain) Not much of a better draw than that. I've had pictures of deer in the fields just hours after planting also. I doubt you'll spook them off.

If you can dodge the Army worms and get some rain the first of September to the middle will be good to plant WW and MRC. If you’ve never had Army worms you’re not likely to get them the first year in a plot that has had weeds growing waist high. At least that’s my experience. Weather dictates when they’ll rear their ugly heads. Cooling off from summer heat and a couple rains will bring them on. We’ve had that here in the last couple weeks and they are hitting the pastures now. It’s usually a September thing here but not this year.
I can’t advise to T and M because hogs eat anything I put on top unless it’s clover seed. I guess that they can’t pick up those tiny seeds. Good luck !

If there's an abundance of duff, I might throw a hot rate of big seeded legumes in before you mow, like peas or beans of some sort. The big seed should have some reaching power when looking for soil, and they love growing in heavy trash like that.

Back