Nice and satisfying surprise yesterday...

readonly

Yesterday I happened by a small plot of fruit trees I planted 10 years ago this coming spring. Several apple, persimmon, pear and plumb. I noticed one of the persimmon trees had dropped the leaves but had 5 ripe persimmons on the branches. First fruit I've seen on any of the trees I planted. I guess it will get an extra dose of fertilizer this winter. I will be interested to see how it does next year. I don't do a ton of maintenance on my trees, enough protection to keep them alive as seedlings and saplings. Very cool to finally see one produce.

Congrats on the fruit. For your apple trees especially, if your maintenance don't include pruning, start and that will help apple production.

It's rewarding to see the fruits of our labor. Avoid high rates of nitrogen fertilizer on your pears as that can be a cause of fireblight.

I can't say much, I've planted 100s of persimmon seedlings, some unprotected, some in tubes, and have yet to see a fruit. Last major effort was 2013. Persimmon don't transplant well...

I can't say much, I've planted 100s of persimmon seedlings, some unprotected, some in tubes, and have yet to see a fruit. Last major effort was 2013. Persimmon don't transplant well...

They should start to flower at age 6 to 7......keep planting!!!!

bill

Much better luck with raccoon poop plopped in a 2” deep hole. Persimmons have a deep tap root and if damaged, don’t do well. Find some coon turds under a tree and bury where ya want em. I’ve had fruit in 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I’ve had great luck with grafting persimmons. Find male trees and convert them to female. They will fruit within three years. Of course, this requires you to have male persimmon trees to begin with. A lot of folks do and just don’t realize it because they never fruit. They are also one of if not the easiest tree to graft. So if you’ve never tried it I’d encourage you to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a look at this plot this afternoon. Last year it was November when I noticed the persimmons and there were 3 on the tree. Today it is completely loaded with easily a couple hundred. It's a small tree so I hope it will be a great producer for years to come. There's 5-6 other persimmon trees in the group and none has fruit. Not sure if that's because they're not producing yet or because they're males. There are 3 trees also planted 10 years ago that I bough as "common apple" seedlings. However, they have tiny fruit no bigger than berries. Not sure if they were mislabled by nursery or what. Kind of disappointed with that. A pear tree planted six years ago with one huge pear. A plumb tree planted six years ago with no production yet. Very pleased with the one persimmon though.

Back