New resident in the pond

Very destructive critters. I had a neighbor who had some move in. They started eating his oak plantation (trees where 10 or 15 years old) and backed up a huge amount of water. It took hunting/trapping a large dozer and excavator and even some TNT fixed it all......

Wildlife diversity is a great thing......but, sometimes.....you have to think of the overall better good for the habitat!

I think he already left. No sign of any tree damage or dams. I’m certainly keeping a close eye out. This little 2 acre pond sees all sorts of cool stuff...otters, a mink, a beaver, deer, coons, possums, armadillos, foxes, coyotes, bald eagles, osprey, wood ducks...

Keep a close eye on them. I was tolerating them fine until one day I found two of my better persimmon grafted trees cut down and drug into the pond. Then I declared war.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

This season I caught four otters out of my little pond. If I had not caught them, they would have cleaned the pond out!

We had a family of them move into the creek on our property in PA. In one week they destroyed over 100 apple trees that were a left-over from an old orchard. We destroyed dams and had
two trappers come in. It took over 5 years to get them to move on. It is illegal to even bother them in PA without a furtakers license.

You may not see a dam in a pond,they will tunnel back in banks like in the dam,look for slides or smooth muddy spots going into water

Buckdeer1 is right that they make the best pelts of anything. Super nice fur!

Ours don't make damns. They just kill a bunch of trees and leave them lay after they eat the bark. Makes life hell every time we get a flooded creek and I have to fix watergaps (fence). It's always tangled in beaver trees.

We're lucky to be in a situation where the beavers can't do much damage. They make a cool little hinge cutting army for me. Free labor!

Back