New garden

jlane35

I’ve been working on my new garden and I should have it done with new garden soil added in a few weeks.

Is laying straw on top of the dirt sufficient or should I plant something to protect the soil for the rest of the year until it’s planting season?

You could plant a cover crop like beets or radish that will give you some organic matter after you disk it up next year or spray a preemergent

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Why not plant now? There is plenty of time to put in all kinds of veggies. Then put straw or grass clippings around for mulch. In the coming weeks you could do beets, broccoli, carrots, green beans, even tomatoes if you buy potted plants. The closer to fall put in lettuce, spinach, kale, etc

Why not plant now? There is plenty of time to put in all kinds of veggies. Then put straw or grass clippings around for mulch. In the coming weeks you could do beets, broccoli, carrots, green beans, even tomatoes if you buy potted plants. The closer to fall put in lettuce, spinach, kale, etc

I just finished the boxes, I need to dig out the grass and add better soil then fence it in. A563A8CB-FFA4-44B5-A539-C3E006FB95E2.jpeg

Looks great! If you get dirt and fence up in he next month or 2 you should still have plenty of time to grow some goodies this year. Have fun!

You could plant a cover crop like beets or radish that will give you some organic matter after you disk it up next year or spray a preemergent

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
When it comes to chemicals you gotta draw a line somewhere. I spray my food plots sometimes but I never spray my vegetable garden.

When it comes to chemicals you gotta draw a line somewhere. I spray my food plots sometimes but I never spray my vegetable garden.

I won’t spray my garden, my mother is upset we use chemicals on our foodplots because she wants organic non GMO deer meat. I’m
not hand picking weeds and grasses out of plots. But It’s not like I’m directly injecting the deer with chemicals like cows would be.

Looks great! If you get dirt and fence up in he next month or 2 you should still have plenty of time to grow some goodies this year. Have fun!

I was planning on getting onions planting this Fall but I didn’t think I had time to get other vegetables. Thanks!

I was planning on getting onions planting this Fall but I didn’t think I had time to get other vegetables. Thanks!
You could try sweet corn. Broccoli, cauliflower, watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins are midsummer crops. It's too late for most other garden vegetables.

Hey! Congrats on your new garden project! So, about straw vs. planting something to protect your soil, it's a bit of a toss-up. Straw can do the trick, but planting a cover crop has some cool perks like boosting soil fertility, keeping erosion in check, and even fighting weeds! Speaking of gardening adventures, I've got a funny story. My buddy and I were working on his garden and we got our hands on a Makita cordless leaf blower from UK Planet Tools ( https://www.ukplanettools.co.uk/garden-tools/cordless-leaf-blower/l/manufacturer:makita/ ). Let me tell you, it was a total lifesaver! After we wrapped up, we used the blower to whoosh away all the leftover straw and debris. It was a breeze, and the garden looked fab! So, my two cents: give cover crops a shot, and don't forget about the Makita cordless leaf blower if you want to keep your garden tidy with minimal effort. Happy gardening!

Last edited:
On new dirt, I like get life going as quickly as possible. If you've got straw, I'd absolutely use it, but put a biology builder under the straw first. Green cover has a nice biology builder mix, and it's cheap. You'd probably get a five pound bag to your door for under $20.

And I love mixing up new soil. This year, I'm hoping to build some more garden beds, and I've got brush piles all over the yard that are going to get buried underneat. I've also got two old round bales and about 8 yards of wood chips that are all going to get thrown in there. The starting carbon is sky high, so I plant legume heavy early to start out.

Back