New garden

jlane35

I’ve been working on my new garden and I should have it done with new garden soil added in a few weeks.

Is laying straw on top of the dirt sufficient or should I plant something to protect the soil for the rest of the year until it’s planting season?

PineSapJunky

You could plant a cover crop like beets or radish that will give you some organic matter after you disk it up next year or spray a preemergent

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Heart shot

Why not plant now? There is plenty of time to put in all kinds of veggies. Then put straw or grass clippings around for mulch. In the coming weeks you could do beets, broccoli, carrots, green beans, even tomatoes if you buy potted plants. The closer to fall put in lettuce, spinach, kale, etc

jlane35

Why not plant now? There is plenty of time to put in all kinds of veggies. Then put straw or grass clippings around for mulch. In the coming weeks you could do beets, broccoli, carrots, green beans, even tomatoes if you buy potted plants. The closer to fall put in lettuce, spinach, kale, etc

I just finished the boxes, I need to dig out the grass and add better soil then fence it in. A563A8CB-FFA4-44B5-A539-C3E006FB95E2.jpeg

Heart shot

Looks great! If you get dirt and fence up in he next month or 2 you should still have plenty of time to grow some goodies this year. Have fun!

Mennoniteman

You could plant a cover crop like beets or radish that will give you some organic matter after you disk it up next year or spray a preemergent

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
When it comes to chemicals you gotta draw a line somewhere. I spray my food plots sometimes but I never spray my vegetable garden.

jlane35

When it comes to chemicals you gotta draw a line somewhere. I spray my food plots sometimes but I never spray my vegetable garden.

I won’t spray my garden, my mother is upset we use chemicals on our foodplots because she wants organic non GMO deer meat. I’m
not hand picking weeds and grasses out of plots. But It’s not like I’m directly injecting the deer with chemicals like cows would be.

jlane35

Looks great! If you get dirt and fence up in he next month or 2 you should still have plenty of time to grow some goodies this year. Have fun!

I was planning on getting onions planting this Fall but I didn’t think I had time to get other vegetables. Thanks!

Mennoniteman

I was planning on getting onions planting this Fall but I didn’t think I had time to get other vegetables. Thanks!
You could try sweet corn. Broccoli, cauliflower, watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins are midsummer crops. It's too late for most other garden vegetables.

Heart shot

There are a ton of cool season veggies that do great with a late summer planting. Such as carrots, spinach, lettuce, arugula, broccoli, any brassica really, heck even beans if you get them in by ear aug.