My Western KY. Farm

Dennis Duffy

Ky Property.png I finally was able to pull the trigger on my farm a few years ago! I wanted a farm in a place with good quality Whitetails as well as quantity. I am one that needs to be entertained when I am hunting. LOL! I can't sit in a tree stand all day with little or no deer sightings. So i did my homework and ended up with my Western KY. Farm. Although my farm is quite the distance from my place, it is worth the drive! I live in Western PA. so it is quite the hall to the farm! All of this being said, I wouldn't trade it for the world! I love hunting there. The deer sightings are plenty and the quality is there as well! I am self employed and am able to get down to the place at least once a month! The farm consists of 144 acres. It is settled in between lots of farm land and is the place the deer want to hang out! I keep it thick as possible with a few kill plots for hunting. There is a creek running through the center of the place as well as a small pond on the western side. It is not unusual to see 20 some deer (or more) in one sit with half or more being bucks. That helps keep me in my stand LOL! The only complaint i could make is I hate the abundance of ticks in the area! Something i had to get used to! But i know how to combat the little blood suckers now and usually they are gone during the cooler hunting months! Above is a google earth shot of the property with the basic property lines.

DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0082.JPG Different pictures of property. Pond on Western side, creek that runs through the center of property and a shot from box blind that overlooks the pond plot.

IMG_20140826_125416_898.jpg Ok so after a year using the camper on the farm i decided to upgrade! I talked to the neighbor that watches my place when i am not there to keep an eye open for a small house close to the farm that comes up for sale. He found one a couple weeks later that was within 3 minutes of my property. you can actually see the farm from the back of the house! Its not the Hilton but it sure beats the camper! LOL!

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0006.JPG Again, not the Hilton but it works! lots more room plus electric and running water! Especially a nice hot Shower!!

IMG_0830.jpg Ok so once i bought the farm of course the work began. The previous owner did not plant anything he just brush hogged. So i had the plots tested and they needed lots of lime! I had a tractor at my place in PA. that i did not use much so I brought it down for the heavy work! This was the first year of liming. I did another load the second year about the same size!

IMG_0826.jpg Sprayed all the plots with Gly and then it was time to turn over some dirt! I love the smell of dirt when it is freshly turned up!!

20141011_112220.jpg IMG_0282.jpg IMG_0283.jpg And up comes the good stuff! The deer absolutely crushed the radishes on my farm! First the tops and then the tubes! So thats whats on the menu again this year! Give em what they want i guess LOL!

What a beautiful piece of property you got. That strip in front of the small pond looks like a killer.

CongratS
Todd

IMG_0422.jpg IMG_0419.jpg IMG_0420.jpg I put in four of these ground box blinds this past winter. My goal is to offer a hunt to a child struggling with a debilitating disease. I want them to have their wish of killing a buck come true! There is an organization that offers these hunts each year that i have been in contact with. This year I am hoping to have a boy (that had brain cancer) and his father to the farm to enjoy a good hunt! Hopefully all goes as planned!

Back