My oak plantation project

Chipdasqrrl

I am working on converting 2.5 acres of scotch pine into mast producing trees. So far I have been able to plant 25 white oak trees this past Spring. I plan on adding blocks of Swamp White oaks, Northern Red oaks, Chinkapin oaks, Dwarf Chinkapin oaks, Bur oaks, Burgambel oaks and Bur oaks, along with small blocks (12-ish trees) of apple trees, chestnut trees and pear trees. Any thoughts or advice on my plan is greatly appreciated. I will keep this updated with my progress and thoughts.

I dont have much experience with dwarf chinkapins but I know they are pretty slow growing and small, they produce fast but not in mass quantities since they are a smaller tree. Personally not huge on the idea of them but otherwise looks like a good plan to me!

I dont have much experience with dwarf chinkapins but I know they are pretty slow growing and small, they produce fast but not in mass quantities since they are a smaller tree. Personally not huge on the idea of them but otherwise looks like a good plan to me!

More of a variety thing. Planting them just because. Nothing is set in stone though, so I might end up planting something else. you made a good point about small quantities of acorns and that may change my mind. Thanks for the input!

Before & after of today’s progress. Trying to carve out the space for the Swamp white oaks.. It’ll take a while to do it myself
IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_6265.JPG

The sooner you can get planted the sooner they are grown.They look further apart than that but what I would plan on doing is finding someone with a tree spade in a couple years and work a deal with them to work by the hour so that if you have high survival you can move some and gain spacing.If they are 2-3 inches diameter they won't know they have been moved

The sooner you can get planted the sooner they are grown.They look further apart than that but what I would plan on doing is finding someone with a tree spade in a couple years and work a deal with them to work by the hour so that if you have high survival you can move some and gain spacing.If they are 2-3 inches diameter they won't know they have been moved

What spacing do you think they should have?

I plant all my oaks on 25-30ft spacing, but planting thicker is better imo cause then you can thin out the junk ones or the dead trees later on in a mass planting like that

In the end I would say thats about right,I think the state had me plant 15 ft apart and rows 15-20 ft apart and even my sawtooths that are around 10 shade everything on the ground.I don't think you should change plans right now but have a plan to thin and not just have to cut down trees.Don't wait until too big

I would expect that the variety of oak/chestnut would have a bearing on the density. For example - DCO would be 15X15, Chestnut 20X20, White/Red oak 30X30..

Looking for some advice. What are some shrubs I could plant throughout my clearing? I want to make sure this clearing isn’t wide open and deer feel comfortable feeding here in daylight.. in 20 years when the oaks are producing.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Ninebark are hardy and easy to grow - deer love them - caged until 6 feet and they will be happy. Uncaged and they will stand up to vigorous browse but, will not grow over a foot tall.
Autum olive is a no-no. Wildlife like them so much that the seed is spread far and wide and they can take over the landscape.

Ninebark are hardy and easy to grow - deer love them - caged until 6 feet and they will be happy. Uncaged and they will stand up to vigorous browse but, will not grow over a foot tall.
Autum olive is a no-no. Wildlife like them so much that the seed is spread far and wide and they can take over the landscape.

What kind of ninebark? I looked it up and there seems to be a variety of ninebark shrubs, some even unattractive to deer. Thanks

What kind of ninebark? I looked it up and there seems to be a variety of ninebark shrubs, some even unattractive to deer. Thanks

Nevermind, I’d assume it’s just common ninebark. A local nursery sells them at 2-3’ for $1.35 in orders of 25-100. That will be perfect, thank you

Wow.. I looked it up and there are lots of different kinds! Mine look like this -
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=ninebark+shrubs+ninebark+shrub+varieties&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&imgurl=http://www.sproutswyo.com/uploads/2/7/8/2/27829043/s329859440226174507_p165_i1_w640.jpeg#id=7&iurl=http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ninebark-shrub.jpg&action=click
I tried to find the technical name unsuccessfully.
I got my ninebarks from the Alcona County Conservation District and I see they are still listed in their offerings - 2 year - ranging from 5, 10, 25 and 50 bushes for $9 to 43$.

Last edited:
Back