Muzzleloaders...Check this out

I saw that...bullet itself is only thing that loads at the muzzle...I would be willing to bet if this becomes popular within 2 years the bullet will also be in that contraption and it will all be loaded at the breech...how revolutionary!

I know that manufacturers are mainly interested in profits, but I wonder about the long term implications of the technology that we’re currently witnessing. Smokeless muzzleloaders, crossbows approaching 500 fps, and now this. I can’t help but believe that it’s not gonna turn out exactly like they’ve planned.

I doubt it'll catch on enough to stick and make it long-term. Once they quit making the "propellant system" that gun will be pretty useless. That's what I think at least. Not interested. I do use an inline with 209 primers, so I suppose I'm already cheating the original intent of the seasons. So, I'm not inherently opposed to easier and better options. I just bet this'll be a dead end.

They think that they just re-invented sliced bread, but it just looks like a shotgun shell casing to me. BTW, once you are using cartridges it's no longer a muzzleloader, so they are carefully not calling them cartridges.
Anyone remember when electronic ignition for muzzleloaders came out? Around here they are a laughingstock, you would have difficulty giving one away in our neighborhood.
I'd wait and let someone else be the Guinea pig on this one. $27 for 10 sounds expensive...

They think that they just re-invented sliced bread, but it just looks like a shotgun shell casing to me. BTW, once you are using cartridges it's no longer a muzzleloader, so they are carefully not calling them cartridges.
Anyone remember when electronic ignition for muzzleloaders came out? Around here they are a laughingstock, you would have difficulty giving one away in our neighborhood.
I'd wait and let someone else be the Guinea pig on this one. $27 for 10 sounds expensive...
I have never hunted with a muzzle loader so correct me if I'm wrong. Pennsylvania originally regulated muzzleloaders to be flintlocks without any optical sights and could only shoot round balls. Follow the money and you'll understand why things change.

I have never hunted with a muzzle loader so correct me if I'm wrong. Pennsylvania originally regulated muzzleloaders to be flintlocks without any optical sights and could only shoot round balls. Follow the money and you'll understand why things change.
For about the last 15 years Pennsylvania has had two different, separate muzzleloader seasons. Modern scoped in-line muzzleloaders are legal for the mid-October early antlerless deer season, and now just last year they also added an early bear season to this as well. Then, for 2 weeks after Christmas they have the primitive season, where only traditional flintlock rifles with patched round ball are legal, and a buck tag is legal for buck or a doe. This season brings out some diehard hunters in fringed buckskins and coonskin hats with a powder horn slung over their shoulder.

In all fairness there are many states who allow only shotgun or ML for hunting, no rifle allowed. So that group certainly would be interested I suppose. Again I don't care if someone uses dynomite if its legal. Each can hunt as they choose.
We also have a socalled primitive season for trad bow or open site sidehammer ML. Its a fun hunt even if is at end of season and deer are skittish as heck. I hunted all primitive weapon this season with one day of rifle. Anyone who hunts differently than I do is just in the wrong, that goes without saying.:) And of course I'm barefoot and in a loin cloth also!:eek:

In all fairness there are many states who allow only shotgun or ML for hunting, no rifle allowed. So that group certainly would be interested I suppose. Again I don't care if someone uses dynomite if its legal. Each can hunt as they choose.
We also have a socalled primitive season for trad bow or open site sidehammer ML. Its a fun hunt even if is at end of season and deer are skittish as heck. I hunted all primitive weapon this season with one day of rifle. Anyone who hunts differently than I do is just in the wrong, that goes without saying.:) And of course I'm barefoot and in a loin cloth also!:eek:
I won't be able to get that image out of my head for at least a day. If I can get any sleep at all. :)

Indiana over the past 10 to 15 years has opened up new weapon choices time and time again....and it all is based on money. We kill fewer deer now (due to a smaller heed) than we did back 15 years ago and we got lots more options to do it with now. Get someone to wave enough money around the state house and they will legalize RPG's! That was how the high powered rifle got implemented here. Not thru the DNR....somebody got tired of trying to convince the DNR to do it so they stuffed enough money in the pockets of some politicians and it came down thru the state house! Money, money, money!

That's not a muzzle loader. It's a partial muzzleloader.

Even my custom muzzleloader is a true muzzleloader. Powder and bullet load down the barrel from the muzzle.

Indiana over the past 10 to 15 years has opened up new weapon choices time and time again....and it all is based on money. We kill fewer deer now (due to a smaller heed) than we did back 15 years ago and we got lots more options to do it with now. Get someone to wave enough money around the state house and they will legalize RPG's! That was how the high powered rifle got implemented here. Not thru the DNR....somebody got tired of trying to convince the DNR to do it so they stuffed enough money in the pockets of some politicians and it came down thru the state house! Money, money, money!
Just for anyone who thinks J-bird might be exaggerating the influence of money on policy in our state of Indiana, the dipshits who ramrodded through the high powered rifle hunting, despite the IDNR's recommendation, so poorly wrote the legislation that in the first year it was legal to use a .243 or any .30 caliber round but a .270 Winchester round was illegal. So no .270 Win, but if you wanted to kill a deer with a .300 Weatherby Magnum have at it. Also illegal were 7mm-08, any 6.5 caliber. I figure the rpg's will come into play by next season....

Just for anyone who thinks J-bird might be exaggerating the influence of money on policy in our state of Indiana, the dipshits who ramrodded through the high powered rifle hunting, despite the IDNR's recommendation, so poorly wrote the legislation that in the first year it was legal to use a .243 or any .30 caliber round but a .270 Winchester round was illegal. So no .270 Win, but if you wanted to kill a deer with a .300 Weatherby Magnum have at it. Also illegal were 7mm-08, any 6.5 caliber. I figure the rpg's will come into play by next season....
You know how to tell if a politician is lying....his/her lips are moving.....

getting back to the origin of the post....i think it's all nonsense. We have firearms whose sole design is to skirt the original intent of regulations and most states don't have the political backbone to stop it or adapt. The entire inline muzzleloader market wouldn't exist but for skirting regulations. Most states implemented a muzzleloader season based on primitive muzzleloaders. When Indiana was a shotgun only state, most folks hunted with inline muzzleloaders because they were more accurate at greater distances. An entire industry sprang up around skirting the intent of these seasons and states did nothing in response. Why do we kid ourselves and pretend like muzzleloader season is anything different than rifle season. All it does now is force you to own an additional firearm that were it not for legislation, you'd never own in the first place.

getting back to the origin of the post....i think it's all nonsense. We have firearms whose sole design is to skirt the original intent of regulations and most states don't have the political backbone to stop it or adapt. The entire inline muzzleloader market wouldn't exist but for skirting regulations. Most states implemented a muzzleloader season based on primitive muzzleloaders. When Indiana was a shotgun only state, most folks hunted with inline muzzleloaders because they were more accurate at greater distances. An entire industry sprang up around skirting the intent of these seasons and states did nothing in response. Why do we kid ourselves and pretend like muzzleloader season is anything different than rifle season. All it does now is force you to own an additional firearm that were it not for legislation, you'd never own in the first place.

This is so right ! The only two muzzleloaders that I own are a TC Hawkins repro and a .50 caliber barrel for my TC Encore. When Texas implemented a MZ late season many years ago I bought an Austen & Halleck .50 caliber in-line MZ to take advantage of it. Up to 150 yards it was almost as accurate as my 25-06. It might have been good to 200 yards but I never tried it that far.

I’m quite sure that in-lines and MZs using a chamber insert (Savage) to use smokeless powders were not what was envisioned. Certainly not a cartridge that isn’t called a cartridge (but is nevertheless) was not was they had in mind.

Agree with you Dogghr. Times are certainly changing. But I am as guilty as the next person. I have two muzzleloaders, a Lyman flintlock and a custom Smokeless which I have target shot passed 1000 yards and killed at 400 yards. But my flintlock is one of my most fun hunting weapons. after numeros practice shots to over come the sparks in your eye and the slight firing delay. You can hunt all day and just at dusk as the deer are walking by your tree stand which you sat out in the sleet all day keeping your pan powder dry and the gun goes click- click and the 3rd time the doe bust you and they run off. (this was last saturday adventure) But if it would have went off that would have been a rewarding deer kill. The hunt was still fun. Old school ML half the fun is in the adventure. I can remember when I bought my first compound bow and joined local bow club. Old timers there called my bow with training wheels, some of those would be rolling over in the grave at the crossbows of today.LOL

Last edited:
Back