Must Have Gear?

Lost Arrow

As hunting season approaches (Oct. 1 in Michigan) I am wondering what everybody considers must have gear that they always carry in their pack with them.

My iPhone is up near the top of the list. I have a really good weather radar app and two other weather apps, have scout look, have planimeter and a compass app. With those tools I can constantly monitor solunar times, weather changes, wind changes and how all of that impacts every stand on the farm. If a stand changes becomes necessary due to any weather change I can very quickly asses where and why to move. Use the compass app for hanging sets and more importantly to take a reading on last sound after a shot. A lot of times I can go straight to last sound and see the deer if not it can be an advanced starting point on a blood trail.

My iPhone is up near the top of the list. I have a really good weather radar app and two other weather apps, have scout look, have planimeter and a compass app. With those tools I can constantly monitor solunar times, weather changes, wind changes and how all of that impacts every stand on the farm. If a stand changes becomes necessary due to any weather change I can very quickly asses where and why to move. Use the compass app for hanging sets and more importantly to take a reading on last sound after a shot. A lot of times I can go straight to last sound and see the deer if not it can be an advanced starting point on a blood trail.
I never would have considered a cell phone other than for safety reasons but it seems like you have a really good system worked out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Range finder, wind drift indicator fuzz, flashlight, extra batteries for my headlamp, grunt call, and a million other little odds and ends I seem to collect over time.

A good range finder and a good pair of binoculars are a must, plus flashlight, wind indicator, calls and a field knife.

Please explain the reading of the last sound, is that an app?

Please explain the reading of the last sound, is that an app?

I believe what he is saying that after a shot he can use the compass on his phone to find the direction of which he heard the last sound of the deer running/falling/stumbling and then head right to that point or in that direction to start tracking.

Ok, that makes sense. Sounded like an app. Good use of a compass anyway.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Most of the stuff above. Five years ago I would never have thought about an iphone. Cell phone, yes, but I was dragged kicking and screaming into the smart phone world. Compass, Scoutlook, and Wind Compass are important to me now.
Binocular, rangefinder, water bottle, extra release, knife, Leatherman tool, grunt call, gloves, paper towels, wipes ( for either end ), wind checker, thermacell in skeeter weather, and did I mention an extra release ?;)

For a lot of guys I would think a small very basic survival kit would be smart (2 cigarette lighters, tender, space blanket, water purification tabs, food bars, etc., etc.). It could make the difference between life and death. If you can see the truck from your stand, that might not be as important as someone in the wilderness.

I often think about a show I watched once about a guy who got caught traveling in a blizzard in a remote place and no one knew he was there. It was spring before the snow melted off and any other people came down that road. A little survival knowledge is a good thing to have in the old noggin. I think I could have survived in that case, because I carry a pretty decent more advanced kit in my vehicle. But I can sure enough tell you that I wouldn't have enjoyed it.:D

Thanks for all of the responses everyone I will definataly be adding a couple of items to my pack before the season opener rolls around.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I guess I'm the odd man out. I never carry a phone into the stand. I do carry two pairs of warm gloves and two pairs of socks. Both in waterproof wraps. Toilet paper, I also use it for marking blood trail. :) Small first aid kit. A good whistle to signal for help. We have worked out a set of signals to use. A good knife. I do not like to carry mine on a belt. Prepared snacks, don't want to unwrap plastic wrappers in the stand. At least two bottles of water. Any medications that may be necessary. Small flashlight with fresh batteries. And one good cigar. If I make a good shot on a deer, I sit and smoke the cigar, then I begin to track.

Pretty good lists ..got most of'em ..but what ruins my day is all settled in or perched up and .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................no pee bottle ...this old mans gotta have one!

Bear

One of the best things of my property in my mind is no cell phone service. At any rate, I used to carry everything in my pocket, now I got a damn backpack full. I once had my pack stolen, and couldn't believe the dollar amount it took to replace everything from gloves to rangefinder. But I won't go without my grunt tube or an extra release. I once climbed all the way to top of ridge in the dark to hunt the day, climbed into stand, pulled up bow, and yep , release was in the Jeep. Long walk down and back up believe me. So spare there after.

my kindle, snacks (granola bars, cheese, jerky, crackers,etc), water bottle, pee jug. you don't see deer if you just want to go back to camp.

The follow up description of using a compass and last sound is correct. I take a reading on last sound and estimate distance from the tree. If a deer doesn't go down in sight more times than not that is where I start tracking after checking the location of the hit, esp if I am confident of a good hit. Also can be helpful on hits where there is little to no early blood trail. They sometimes will flow better on down the trail a ways and having that line can be very helpful.

I carry a number of the other things mentioned so far and a back up release and thernacell are way up at the top. I never carry a pee bottle though, just let er rip from the stand. Have had multiple bucks catch the scent crossing downwind of the tree only to turn and come straight in scent checking the whole way. Have never seen one have a negative reaction.

The largest backpack I can comfortably carry, or sometime uncomfortable carry. I am a bring everything and kitchen sink kind of guy.:D

Back