Missouri Deer Season?

OkieKubota

Staff member
I noticed Missouri archery season began on 09/15/16. Are any of our Missouri neighbors hunting and if so what are you seeing? Mast drop and use of? Any luck?

Not hunting yet but seeing plenty of deer when dog training every day. Lots of the white oaks are are starting to drop their acorns right now at my place. I would say they are on the acorns because they aren't in the clover/alfalfa fields like they were a few weeks ago. I still see them in there but they are just passing thru versus standing out there eating.

I am a Missouri boy ..but while waiting for a bit cooler weather I have hopped up to Canada to break a few Walleye necks

I will ...wait ...I plan on putting a pointy stick thru one of the little vermin on 9/29 ...bout 6:47AM

Bear

4 sits so far. Passed up a young doe today, and murdered a coyote. I have seen deer each sit, but the weather is miserable. Acorns just starting to fall. I sat on a small plot this morning adjacent to several old burr oaks that looked like they were covered in green ping pong balls.

3 sits so far. My son wanted to bowhunt Friday evening. Only saw 1 orphaned fawn mowing down my clover.
Saturday morning Saw a doe and her two yearlings. I stood up to get a better view (and because I'm impatient in the early season) and the doe busted me. The fawns ran straight at me and ended up bedding down 23 yards from me....for 3 hours! It was brutal. I spent the last hour trying to get them to leave without being busted. Coyote noises, dogs barking, doe bleats, buck grunts. I actually threw stuff from my backpack at them. They would not leave! I had to pee so bad at noon I couldn't take it any longer and just stood up.
upload_2016-9-20_8-47-21.png
Sunday evening I hunted my new box blind for the first time. Four does and 2 fawns. No bucks. Shot opportunities but the only doe close enough had her fawn with her and she was skinny!
upload_2016-9-20_8-49-56.png

3 sits so far. My son wanted to bowhunt Friday evening. Only saw 1 orphaned fawn mowing down my clover.
Saturday morning Saw a doe and her two yearlings. I stood up to get a better view (and because I'm impatient in the early season) and the doe busted me. The fawns ran straight at me and ended up bedding down 23 yards from me....for 3 hours! It was brutal. I spent the last hour trying to get them to leave without being busted. Coyote noises, dogs barking, doe bleats, buck grunts. I actually threw stuff from my backpack at them. They would not leave! I had to pee so bad at noon I couldn't take it any longer and just stood up.
View attachment 3276
Sunday evening I hunted my new box blind for the first time. Four does and 2 fawns. No bucks. Shot opportunities but the only doe close enough had her fawn with her and she was skinny!
View attachment 3277
I have never worried about fawns busting me and then being educated. Most of the time they come closer if the doe isnt around out of curiousity. I have told this story before, but I had a button buck fawn that saw me in my stand one time and bedded down underneath me. He showed up every time I hunted that stand for several times in a row and always ended up bedding down within 50 yards. I guess he thought we were buddies, I enjoyed watching him and I figured he was a good confidence decoy!

Two sits on public ground... no sightings except for turkeys. Drought is so bad at Stockton Lake that some Oaks didn't make acorns that extended passed the end of the caps. I did find a massive White Oak that made good acorns, but didn't see that deer were eating them???

I have hunted once an didn't see a deer but in my defense we had worked at the farm all day brush hogging and preparing some fall grain plots (I know I'm late) Been a busy yr between building a new house an raising 3 rascals with another on the way. Plan to run down to farm tomorrow to sow some WW, WR an red clover seed.
Cleared a new woodland plot as well. Call it 3 ridges b/c they all come together here. Saw our best buck activity here last season.
Cut down about 20 nice oaks. Made me sick.

Hunted 3 times so far. Saw 4 on my first hunt at the house. 1 last night jumped up bedded right next to the stand, today had 2 come running by like something spooked them. Been too hot and slow so far

Hunted 6 times so far. I'm glad the woods are raining acorns because it is so hot it wasn't very pleasant hunting. I'm going to wait for them to get over there acorn rage and let it cool off some before I go back out.

Back