minerals

Nebraskaz71

Bought a couple bags of a product i've never tried from a local CO-OP this morning. He mixes it himself, contains, salt, molasses, di-cal phosphate, minerals and also contains vitamins A,D, E. Never bought one that said it had vitamins in it..... Anyone ever tried something like this?

10 bucks for 30lbs just curious

I went to a co op in Kentucky where they were selling something similar. He gave us a free sample. We did the math and it was still a good bit more expensive than buying the ingredients individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one with vitamins in it. Does it help? Don't know, I don't have any pen deer to try it on and check their stats compared to not using it.It makes me happy thinking that it does though.

I bought a 50 lb bag of Dicalcium Phosphate and a 50 lb bag of ice melt to establish a site...The dical will help with the nursing does for sure...

I bought a 50 lb bag of Dicalcium Phosphate and a 50 lb bag of ice melt to establish a site...The dical will help with the nursing does for sure...
Just curious, why ice melt instead of ag salt? And will you be adding any other minerals to this site besides the phosphate? Where do you buy the phosphate? I'm trying to learn about mineral sites.

Dical is not easy to find, atleast around here and shipping on a bag is insane. I may talk to the guy next time i'm at the COOP and see if he will sell me ingredients seperate so I can make my own.

Just curious, why ice melt instead of ag salt? And will you be adding any other minerals to this site besides the phosphate? Where do you buy the phosphate? I'm trying to learn about mineral sites.
I wanted a rock type salt in the bag...it is cheap and works great...just like anything else the same product used for 1 purpose can be higher than the exact same product used for another...ie...mineral for livestock is higher than exact same thing used to melt ice... (salt)

My coop had 4 bags of dical that have been there for years so I bought 1...

Dical is not easy to find, atleast around here and shipping on a bag is insane. I may talk to the guy next time i'm at the COOP and see if he will sell me ingredients seperate so I can make my own.

See if they can order you some in?

Trace mineral, Dical and your average ice cream salt. I use a 2-1-1 ratio and can get all of this at the local co-op. Not sure how many pounds I mix up, but normally one purchase is enough for a couple months of mineral feeding around the camp. Deer eat it up as well!

I'm convinced that in areas that are mineral deficient, providing a good supply of calcium and trace minerals works.

I have the rare situation where I hunted the exact land that I ended up buying for 10 years BEFORE I bought it and started managing it with food plots and mineral licks. It has been obvious to me that this area is very deficient in minerals, left to their own devices, the racks are small, twisted, uneven, and crooked. 3 year olds would be lucky to be a small 4 with short tines.

Fast forward to 5 years of mineral feeding and I now have deer that are solid 6 pointers at 3 years old. Far fewer crooked, twisted racks.

Obviously, if you live in an area that it blessed with ample in-soil or waterborne minerals, you will not see the difference that I've seen. Yes, of course there are many, many other factors that could be at play. So yes, the answer to, "Do minerals do anything?" is still "maybe, it depends..."

But to me, I look at the cost and for a very small investment, why wouldn't I feed mineral? If no other benefits were even possible, I'd still have licks just for the benefit of getting good trail cam pics.

Grouse

I use trace mineral salt. $7 for a 50 pound sack. I just pour the whole thing on the mineral lick site and let rain soak it in. I don't use it really for providing mineral to the deer herd though. I mainly use it for surveying. Between the hogs and the deer they keep it worked over pretty good.

All the mixes with high levels of salt and low % of true minerals is an attractant instead of mineral licks to help them find the things that are missing

Back