Local Feed Stores.... Dang it

dogghr

Well just came back from one of two feed stores I use buying my brassica and Fert seeds with intention of back in another month for my grain needs. Dang it the place is closing up in a month. Owner is 86 and son is 58. He's done it for 61 years.
Competitive stuff anymore with the likes of Rural King and Tractor Supply and others. I shook his hand and thanked him for many years of selling to me. Times change I know but I almost cried driving home. There is nothing like buying local, maybe paying a bit more, but standing around chewing the fat about everything from sports to politics to how to grow chit.
Support your local, I know its easy and sometimes cheaper to buy online, but it just aint the same. Hope my other place stays open for a long time.

I feel the same way. Some of the stuff I plant, my local guy has never had, but he finds it for me. (Of course it’s y’all’s fault I’m even planting it):) I give him plenty of notice when it’s something I figure he doesn’t stock but he’s never taken more than a week to get it, and that includes any particular fertilizer that my soil test recommends. The fact that I can buy bulk lime and use his buggy is invaluable also. TSC is ok for some things, but I’d rather deal with my local guy.

Our main local place expanded their business and built a new store with a great selection of good stuff. I even bought a gun safe from them. I do love dealing with them more than a unknown person on the Internet.

I always wondered where dogghr got his hemp seed and now I know.

dogghr...Hate to hear of the mom n pop feed store closing on you. We're blessed to have 2 good ones near us. Got a TSC close by that comes in handy for some stuff but always buy seed and fert from the local feed n seed store.

Our main local place expanded their business and built a new store with a great selection of good stuff. I even bought a gun safe from them. I do love dealing with them more than a unknown person on the Internet.

I always wondered where dogghr got his hemp seed and now I know.
Don't waste our time with Hemp seed, prefer the high THC level stuff. Actually there are a few Hemp farms near me, and the other is legal for growing and medicinal sale in WV but tons of regulations. Might remember the post of mine of the 30 min conversation at my main feed store with the one armed worker who, when I said I was late fertilizing my weed, thot I meant Weed. So we had long conversation of how , when, and what to Fert Weed with. He also informed me the States were doing there heat sensing flyovers for illegal growers so be careful. He was so nice I didn't have the heart to tell him I meant food plot weeds. Still my fav feed store for a lot of reasons. LOL

Don't waste our time with Hemp seed, prefer the high THC level stuff. Actually there are a few Hemp farms near me, and the other is legal for growing and medicinal sale in WV but tons of regulations. Might remember the post of mine of the 30 min conversation at my main feed store with the one armed worker who, when I said I was late fertilizing my weed, thot I meant Weed. So we had long conversation of how , when, and what to Fert Weed with. He also informed me the States were doing there heat sensing flyovers for illegal growers so be careful. He was so nice I didn't have the heart to tell him I meant food plot weeds. Still my fav feed store for a lot of reasons. LOL

Saw a 250+ acre farm the other day that sold for between $13 K and $14 K per acre. Much of it now planted in hemp.

Man, you’re about to get me wound up! I just don’t understand why people don’t appreciate the power of voting with your dollars. I try to buy local first, and made in the USA next. I get tired of the excuses that it’s too hard, too expensive, can’t be done, etc. Corporations are corporations, they’re going to relentlessly pursue the greatest profits and they’re not going to change. It’s consumer behavior that will change them. This country would be a helluva lot better off if we still made things here. Look at the difference in reaction to the trade war in China vs here....Chinese iPhone sales will tell you everything you need to know. If Americans cared as much about Americans we’d have never gotten here in the first place. Sorry for the rant, this rust belter can get easily wound up on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Saw a 250+ acre farm the other day that sold for between $13 K and $14 K per acre. Much of it now planted in hemp.
I'm officially posting my farm for sale here today on this site for $14,000 an acre.

And I love my local feed and seed Store. Petrus Feed and Seed. Buy everything from them. They mill my protein feed to my specs. Personal service. Good friends.

I'm officially posting my farm for sale here today on this site for $14,000 an acre.

And I love my local feed and seed Store. Petrus Feed and Seed. Buy everything from them. They mill my protein feed to my specs. Personal service. Good friends.

Talk them into running the "Bourbon Trail" by your farm, and you will likely get that price easily. That is the going price in Central KY when a distiller decides they want to buy a place. I work from time to time in that area and dozens of new rack houses are popping up like pup tents at Woodstock all over the place. The hemp people are just following the trail...…. https://www.kentuckytourism.com/ky-...cvt8x45TELxME1HavpNRJPAXDuhZfzm8aAqLGEALw_wcB

Amazing how pricing is effected by location. My niece just sold a 10 yr old 10,000 sq' custom home and 17 acres with stocked pond for $775K.

My farm may not be on the official " bourbon trail" and indeed any bourbon or wine that has ever passed thru here has been viewed as an expense not an asset. Guess I have been looking at it all wrong .

I know you guys will think I'm crazy, but I wouldn't take that for my land. The land isn't worth anything like that to anyone else, but it is priceless to me because my grandparents left it to me. Also, I grew up there, and it's almost like some kind of spiritual connection that I feel for the place. What would I use the money for??? God has already blessed me with everything I have ever wanted...and I don't need anything else.

I know you guys will think I'm crazy, but I wouldn't take that for my land. The land isn't worth anything like that to anyone else, but it is priceless to me because my grandparents left it to me. Also, I grew up there, and it's almost like some kind of spiritual connection that I feel for the place. What would I use the money for??? God has already blessed me with everything I have ever wanted...and I don't need anything else.
And you to would be crazy if you thought I would sell my farm at any price:) The emotional and spiritual value far exceeds any financial needs. Now I do have a beach home we that could be negotiated.

Thanks to Marcellus gas, land prices are going here to some of that industry for 8-10000$/ac or 18% royalties with sig signing bonus. Im lucky to own my mineral rights. It was leased to oil company but since expired. Unlike you guys I've only had property for 10 years. No history . They offer me 10 / acre and my bags be packed at signing.
The 40 inch gas line going thru the area was paying 30-100$/ft of ROW.
The sub that I live in, I have an extra lot I paid 16000 for the ac which I thot was ridiculous at the time but within 5 years was offered 70000. I assure you my retirement doesn't perform that well. Of course I live in a poor state. :rolleyes: Gotta luv the national media.

And you to would be crazy if you thought I would sell my farm at any price:) The emotional and spiritual value far exceeds any financial needs. Now I do have a beach home we that could be negotiated.

I watched the first episode of that TV show Yellowstone with Kevin Costner. There’s a line in there where his lawyer son is trying to get him to consider an offer for part of the ranch and tells him he could use the money and the leverage that comes with it, to which he replied, “leverage is knowing if someone had all the money in the world...this is what they’d buy”.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I pay more to shop at our local feed store. There is a TSC and a southern states in town but I’d rather pay more at the Mom and pop.

I’ll take $14k/acre for my place tomorrow! I’d flip it for 1,000 acres....and a beach house. I’ll feel much different in a few years when my kids start killing deer on our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"and I don't need anything else" (besides a new pickup truck) I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest you buy a Ford.

My 80 would be for sale if I were a little younger. At this stage of the game every time I think about moving I get nauseous. It was bad enough gathering all the duplicate crap I had acquired on the 217 I just sold. Someone is about to get some garage sale bargains in just a couple days.

Y’all are lucky you don’t live on the coast. Being close to the ocean causes land prices to sky rocket. My family farm sold for $10k plus/acre (uncles didn’t want it so had to sell) and another family property is under constant threat. My aunt sold 8 acres to a neighbor for $20k plus per acre. The land is priceless to me, but not the rest of the family.

Back