Little Blue 40

Fish, sorry to hear about the ankle blowout. I hope that doesn't end up being too serious.

I really enjoyed the rabbit hunting pics in the snow. It brought back old memories.
Thanks for the well wishes, Native. It's a high ankle sprain that is slowly healing. Im excited because today i went down steps without holding on to the rail. First time in 3 weeks! :). So its not too bad. Not fun planting trees though.
We are lucky to have friends with dogs who invite us to hunt with them most every weekend in January. What a blessing to be able to offer them some rabbit hunting property in return.

Cool red fox pic. As you probably know, red fox is indicative of low coyote population since they can't climb like a grey fox to escape the predator. I have had a resurgence of reds the last couple years as my coyote/and deer populations has declined. Cool to see. Good luck with that bad wheel and get well.

Cool red fox pic. As you probably know, red fox is indicative of low coyote population since they can't climb like a grey fox to escape the predator. I have had a resurgence of reds the last couple years as my coyote/and deer populations has declined. Cool to see. Good luck with that bad wheel and get well.
We seem to have a lot of red foxes in the neighborhood. Lots of old barns and junked cars on back 40's that make good fox habitat i guess. Forgot reds couldnt climb though. Seems this one must have watched me a few times before as calm as it was. Thanks for the well wishes!

Ankles just aren't made to go 90 mph :p

G
Ok, G. Youre partially to blame for this ankle of mine.

I hesitate to tell it, but heres the story. I watched you burn your place in Iowa for several seasons. I got the itch and had a few successful burns myself. The night in question the wife and kid were out of town. I had a small fire going beside the pole burn a while after dark. When i left it, only a few whisps of flames remained. There might have been an alcoholic beverage involved.
So i work in the barn for an hour and step out into the driveway to see the woods behind the barn glowing like a sunset. :eek:
I ran back there to find not only the woods on fire, but also a scrapped lawn mower blazing and a recently removed kitchen sink. What burns on a sink:confused:?
In a panic i race back into the gravel drive, cut hard to pick up 2 five gallon water buckets from the barn, and my ankle folds like a pretzel.
When i finally make it back with water, the wheel barrel tire has caught fire and i have to limp and roll it across the lawn to put it out. All of this at nearly midnight i might add.
So i hauled 60 gallons of water back there from the porch spigot with this bad ankle. Feeling like a complete fool. But i got it out without calling the fire department. And now the wife wont leave me at home anymore.
All because you had to burn Iowa and put it on YouTube. :D

great updates, sorry to hear about your sister! Ill pray for your family.

I love rabbit hunting, just bought a beagle a couple weeks back.

Oh my, I sure miss those fun times. Your scene was a bit too hectic for me and there is a definite learning curve. Next time answer all of the questions before turning your back on it and drinking tequila. Instead of hauling water just go get the garden rake and another shot. Bottom line, It won't stand up in court.

The new owner of Hickory Ridge is busy making changes to better his deer hunting. One such change was to go in for a bite while his brush pile fire was winding down. He looked out when he saw the light, he torched the cedars that I had planted to block the vision from the road to the plots. Also torched the oaks planted in the wet lands adjacent to the back yard pear trees.

Get well soon, I sprained the top of my foot fighting to the death last week so I'm qualified to empathize.

I love the foxes and the bunnies. Any time a group pulled in with a box of beagles wanting to know if I would like to go bunny hunting on my ground, I would say "I'll get my gun".

G

Ok, G. Youre partially to blame for this ankle of mine.

I hesitate to tell it, but heres the story. I watched you burn your place in Iowa for several seasons. I got the itch and had a few successful burns myself. The night in question the wife and kid were out of town. I had a small fire going beside the pole burn a while after dark. When i left it, only a few whisps of flames remained. There might have been an alcoholic beverage involved.
So i work in the barn for an hour and step out into the driveway to see the woods behind the barn glowing like a sunset. :eek:
I ran back there to find not only the woods on fire, but also a scrapped lawn mower blazing and a recently removed kitchen sink. What burns on a sink:confused:?
In a panic i race back into the gravel drive, cut hard to pick up 2 five gallon water buckets from the barn, and my ankle folds like a pretzel.
When i finally make it back with water, the wheel barrel tire has caught fire and i have to limp and roll it across the lawn to put it out. All of this at nearly midnight i might add.
So i hauled 60 gallons of water back there from the porch spigot with this bad ankle. Feeling like a complete fool. But i got it out without calling the fire department. And now the wife wont leave me at home anymore.
All because you had to burn Iowa and put it on YouTube. :D
Crazy how that all worked out...

Back in my younger days we used to burn all the time on my folks place. I remember many a night standing in the burning woods with a shovel while my dad and brother were doing the same. When I got into my 20's and early 30's I on purpose burned off 50 acres by myself with no help at all with about 30 acres of it being tall grass field.

Nowadays here in Oklahoma if you try to start a little leaf burn all the neighbors look at you like you are crazy and the local VFD shows up to see if everything is alright...feel like I am in the land of the snowflakes now for sure and it is hard to explain that occasional burns help the land by getting rid of fuel load and the ash helps the soil...

Crazy how that all worked out...

Back in my younger days we used to burn all the time on my folks place. I remember many a night standing in the burning woods with a shovel while my dad and brother were doing the same. When I got into my 20's and early 30's I on purpose burned off 50 acres by myself with no help at all with about 30 acres of it being tall grass field.

Nowadays here in Oklahoma if you try to start a little leaf burn all the neighbors look at you like you are crazy and the local VFD shows up to see if everything is alright...feel like I am in the land of the snowflakes now for sure and it is hard to explain that occasional burns help the land by getting rid of fuel load and the ash helps the soil...
Exactly! I burned a clump of grass last weekend and had a truck coming screaming up just as it was dying down. Fella thought "something was on fire". Too bad he wasnt around a few weeks ago when i needed him.:p
Burning at night is cool. Just wish i didnt have to be so responsible.

Oh my, I sure miss those fun times. Your scene was a bit too hectic for me and there is a definite learning curve. Next time answer all of the questions before turning your back on it and drinking tequila. Instead of hauling water just go get the garden rake and another shot. Bottom line, It won't stand up in court.

The new owner of Hickory Ridge is busy making changes to better his deer hunting. One such change was to go in for a bite while his brush pile fire was winding down. He looked out when he saw the light, he torched the cedars that I had planted to block the vision from the road to the plots. Also torched the oaks planted in the wet lands adjacent to the back yard pear trees.

Get well soon, I sprained the top of my foot fighting to the death last week so I'm qualified to empathize.

I love the foxes and the bunnies. Any time a group pulled in with a box of beagles wanting to know if I would like to go bunny hunting on my ground, I would say "I'll get my gun".

G
I might have gotten the leaves out with the rake, but the burning tires, sink, and seat cushion were calling for h2o. :D. It's kinda junky behind the barn.
Bummer your hard work burned up in Iowa. Hopefully he killed some AO by accident. Hope your ankle is on the mend.

Last edited:
Congratulations on putting the fire out. I had my share of those hectic scenes. I had some anxious neighbors early on but not so much after that.

old photos 317 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Always been too chicken to burn even though I know the benefits. Glad you got your runaway fire under control. Hope the ankle heals quickly. You will like those tree tubes.

One of my favorite threads! We have a lot in common with scraping together the best we could to buy 40 acres that we are thrilled to have. Things have gotten easier with a tractor and some attachments but I'll never forget and appreciate what it takes to get this stuff done with little to no equipment. Great stuff Fish, so glad you continued this from the old forum. Amazing things you have done on both of your properties.

Glad everything worked out.You are right sometimes burning is good but there is a risk involved.Whoever lights the fire is liable until the last ember is out,this can include everything from damage to a neighbors property to a car wreck because you let smoke blow across the road.I have seen trash fires do a million dollars in damage to a farm and smoke critically and permanently injure a child from a smoke wreck.We have also had 3 people killed just in our county from doing control burns.They haven't decided the cause yet but close to 700,000 acres have burned here in Kansas in the last week and 1000s of cattle and every other wildlife was killed in the area

Always been too chicken to burn even though I know the benefits. Glad you got your runaway fire under control. Hope the ankle heals quickly. You will like those tree tubes.
Thanks, Doc. The ankle is getting better daily. Then i bend it the way it doesnt want to go yet. :mad:. I love burning and now my son loves it too. Ive created a monster.

I'm waiting to see how you tackle the Boxelder.
Its a tough one Brush. Ive had some success with garlon 4, but like Tordon, its a flip of the coin if it's going to resprout. My forester gave her sympathies to my boxelder problem :rolleyes:.

Glad everything worked out.You are right sometimes burning is good but there is a risk involved.Whoever lights the fire is liable until the last ember is out,this can include everything from damage to a neighbors property to a car wreck because you let smoke blow across the road.I have seen trash fires do a million dollars in damage to a farm and smoke critically and permanently injure a child from a smoke wreck.We have also had 3 people killed just in our county from doing control burns.They haven't decided the cause yet but close to 700,000 acres have burned here in Kansas in the last week and 1000s of cattle and every other wildlife was killed in the area

Its a serious game for sure. I committed the sin of complacency. Lesson learned here. Wouldnt have been too bad if the lawn mower hadnt caught fire. o_O. At that point i was worried about my own structure and realized it could get away from me. Hate to hear it has cost lives.

Back