Lazy Food Plots

I may need to use sedgehammer but I really don’t want to spray. Otherwise green cover fall release is doing really well for just broadcasting and mowing.

Attachments

• 149C787C-7FF0-4C9D-88A9-1E0D55274CD7.jpeg
    149C787C-7FF0-4C9D-88A9-1E0D55274CD7.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 1
  • EECF7C4D-CBF8-4380-942C-B38AD2EAC699.jpeg
    EECF7C4D-CBF8-4380-942C-B38AD2EAC699.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 80ED9E88-7C62-48FE-B7D2-033E7F4D9FEC.jpeg
    80ED9E88-7C62-48FE-B7D2-033E7F4D9FEC.jpeg
    662.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 9377E8AA-C9D2-4B70-B6AC-84DEDABD0F3F.jpeg
    9377E8AA-C9D2-4B70-B6AC-84DEDABD0F3F.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 22B5F680-0E02-4133-9721-B974E2C48472.jpeg
    22B5F680-0E02-4133-9721-B974E2C48472.jpeg
    542.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C4CD8277-36BC-48E6-8CAB-BB8E88FE2B5F.jpeg
    C4CD8277-36BC-48E6-8CAB-BB8E88FE2B5F.jpeg
    517.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 76AC6FA7-C1E6-408C-B2CF-C81A932FA24C.jpeg
    76AC6FA7-C1E6-408C-B2CF-C81A932FA24C.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 1
We used their Northern Clover blend to redo some old small woods plots. They popped after a week and look great. Dad probably seeded a little too heavy, but it looks like it will work out.

A food plot pic ? Or is it native habitat ? Seeds becoming airborn as fall comes forth. To lay dormant until spring when some/ most / none of the seeds will germinate to continue native landscape. What a sight.
But then mid pic is a clover plot established w no initial spraying or tillage or seed amendments. Yet it’s foot deep in white clover with minimal weed infestation. Just mowing and trampling with the tractor every 6-8 wks to mimic mob grazing of the once present Buffalo herds.
Does nature need all your inputs?? In reality I doubt she needs any of them for her success. Bee pollination. Bugs for bird and turkey. Protective cover for young. Selective smorgasbord of rodents to rabbits for food of hawks and predators. Food of legumes and woody browse for our beloved deer. Berries for the bear.
Spend your money and sweat as you wish but sometimes it’s best to step back and re evaluate.

126bc31f165abfbbf77e7c32b616cfee.jpg

d4f34fa09083339a83448a5f0c94a4ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not ever overseed brassica into clover and grains. Just don’t work. These pictures are obviously fake news. Forage radish, PTT , DER.
Love these for forage but much more so in maintaining soils especially for T&M.
Listen to the old mountain man’s ramblings. He’s not entirely delusional even if he does go against the norm.

3d6f1d77b0a1d8fa1031375853d87871.jpg

7f7b85f9288b868f98fa1ceb4b00d625.jpg

c5c3f787c4e6b6f0374004e51fdef388.jpg

And my infamous Buffalo Plot. Never planted. Only mob grazed by the tractor giving a nice clover plot letting nature do her stuff. Acting Outside the box? More fun than possible and so labor and money free.

2769931f0d782db969fe81bfc936b99a.jpg

All looking good to me.

IF I can ever get a Base Growing, then I will switch over to doing just as you are.

I grew up in Farm Country and spent many nights sitting just inside the Corn Rows watching the Deer Pour from the Woods out to feed in the fields. They NEVER went straight to the Many Corn Fields, but ALWAYS went right to the Clover-Alfalfa-Timothy Grass Fields that Farmer had for Hay. They would spend hours feeding through it and other than Mowing and Baling, I never saw him do anything to it.

There is a Show on Prime and now on their YouTube Channel called The Hunting Public. These guys hunt mostly Public Land and it has showed me just how much Deer Move n Feed on stuff we usually walk past to get to that Pretty Green Field.

If you have never watched it, they have taught This Old Dog some new tricks for sure.

I’ll have to catch that show. I’m certainly becoming less and less of an active foodplotter and probably will soon get banned from this site for such. Lol

I’ll have to catch that show. I’m certainly becoming less and less of an active foodplotter and probably will soon get banned from this site for such. Lol

I haven't banned you yet, but I'm making my annual fall drive to your area.

Hqk8qYJ.jpg

I haven't banned you yet, but I'm making my annual fall drive to your area.

Hqk8qYJ.jpg

I have seen you post this before and others are all against it it seems.

Tell me why you like it and how it benefits someone like Me who is trying to establish Plots/Fields where none have ever existed in the Pine Woods.

If you would.

I have seen you post this before and others are all against it it seems.

Tell me why you like it and how it benefits someone like Me who is trying to establish Plots/Fields where none have ever existed in the Pine Woods.

If you would.

Fescue is aggressive and makes a good yard in some areas, but it is useless as a food plot. I just post it as a joke for dogghr because he fights it in his plots. Just having some fun with him.

Last edited:
I gave up fighting it. I have hundreds of pics of deer eating fescue within 30 yards of 500+ lbs of chestnuts on the ground and 50 yards from medium red/radish plots. I’ll never understand them critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I gave up fighting it. I have hundreds of pics of deer eating fescue within 30 yards of 500+ lbs of chestnuts on the ground and 50 yards from medium red/radish plots. I’ll never understand them critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I’ve never seen deer eat fescue but have seen them browse the various weeds and clover that can grow amongst it. I think It has no place in land management unless running livestock or road logging reclaim or erosion control.

Those early Kentuckians burned and plowed acres of prime caneland that they and the Indians shed tons of blood over to let Native and his processors cover the land in an invasive grass. Go figure. Lol

Fescue is aggressive and makes a good yard in some areas, but it is useless as a food plot. I just post it as a joke for dogghr because he fights it in his plots. Just having some fun with him.

Don’t stop, it’s fun for the rest of us too !:D
Dogghr, I can bring you some grass burrs too iffen you need ‘em !:eek:

And to think I prayed for rain for you guys. May change that for a 7 year famine.

I'm really thinking he needs a good dose of Johnson Grass, because the fescue dies back a little in the summer. We need to take care of our friends year round, you know....;)

Ah, ok.

I knew it was used a lot for pastures and deer feed in the too, but wasn’t sure about it as a Plot.

Carry on.

Back