Latest that I should be ferilizing?

CAS_HNTR

What are everyone's thoughts on latest date to fertilize my young trees this summer? I would like to give them another good dose of liquid fertilizer, but dont want them to have issues hardening off.

Any thoughts?

Cas, i just fertilized two days ago ahead of a good rain (trees in a garden bed). I figure i still have nearly 3 months before a frost, much less a freeze. Late June to Mid July is the general cutoff for my area if you go by the books.

Are you talking potted or in the ground?

I stop in mid-July because I had rather avoid die back. Just feel of the hardened mature leaves on a seedling in the four feet height range. Then on the same tree feel of the young tender leaf that is just starting. My vote is mid- July.

This year I did brew some compost tea and feed my seedlings in the field with it. Next spring I am really going to increase that benefit.

What are everyone's thoughts on latest date to fertilize my young trees this summer? I would like to give them another good dose of liquid fertilizer, but dont want them to have issues hardening off.

Any thoughts?
Are they still actively growing or have they already set a terminal bud? We are probably borderline for a light additional fertilization for zone 5 at this time of year. IF they have already set terminal buds no use in applying any fertilizer with N in it.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell when a bud is terminal?
When you look at an actively growing tree there is no bud at the end (terminal) of a branch or the central leader.... just a new leaf beginning to unfurl. But when the tree ends growth for the season it establishes a bud at the end of the branch or leader (terminal bud). That bud serves as the growing point for the next season.

When you look at an actively growing tree there is no bud at the end (terminal) of a branch or the central leader.... just a new leaf beginning to unfurl. But when the tree ends growth for the season it establishes a bud at the end of the branch or leader (terminal bud). That bud serves as the growing point for the next season.

This. This is why a forum is so important. This is a key piece of knowledge for me and an answer to a question I would have never asked on a thread I would have never started. Magazine articles aren't a conversation. Conversation leads to additional questions where knowledge is gained.

This. This is why a forum is so important. This is a key piece of knowledge for me and an answer to a question I would have never asked on a thread I would have never started. Magazine articles aren't a conversation. Conversation leads to additional questions where knowledge is gained.

Gosh I love your post. Spot on. T-Max do me a favor please. Tell five of your close friends that enjoy what you do - they need to come check this forum out. I believe when people learn - they crave more information.

CAS_Hntr asked a great question and he has received excellent feedback. Your post about knowledge gained is why we need to share out forum web address with friends. :D

T-Max - glad you are here!

Thank you. That's a great explanation. Can't wait to check my trees for terminal buds (which I assume we won't see in SC for quite a while).

Thanks everyone. .....im gonna hit them again as they are all pushing good new growrh still.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Got their last dose of food for the year today.

I have found that I like to use liquid fertilizer as the results are best overall when looking at growth and heath of the trees. In the past I had just used osmocoat plus. I still use osmocoat when they are in the 18s as liquid seems to be too hot and can/will kill them.

If you want to try a different way to feed......give orchid fertilizer a try. Its for acid loving plants and thus trees generally like it.

Is there a fertilizer I should be giving my young apple and pear trees?
You should do a soil test first, granted a guy doesnt want to have to pay for multiple tests, but if you take a couple that you feel represent your planting area or area(s) that is the best place to start. No sense in applying something that your trees dont need or over looking something that is in short supply.

Back