LATEST DATE FOR BEANS - OH?

buckhunter10

Well I was really hoping to get my beans in this weekend. However it has just been raining non stop. I am going to go with my cousin and see how wet the fields are tomorrow (supposed to dry out tomorrow).

However if the fields are just too wet, I might not be able to plant until the 2nd week to 3rd week of June. Do you think that would still be ok?

It is common practice to follow wheat with beans into July after harvest. If it is a cash crop you might want to plant a short day cultivar. If it's deer food you are good to plant for another 6 weeks regardless.

Do you want pods or just forage? If you want pods you should check with the seed provider to see what maturity group they are. If you just want forage then plant as soon as you can.

Even if you want pods, you should be good to go, unless you are wanting to harvest for sale you dont care about them being dried down enough to not get docked at the elevator. Havent even planted beans here yet for production. Still trying to get corn in.

Now, I'm just providing some reference. Depending which part of Ohio you are in, you can add two to four weeks to this. It all depends on your purpose.
https://www.rma.usda.gov/fields/il_rso/2013/final/fpdsmoh.pdf

It's not uncommon for some food plotters to plant 'beans in August intending to just generate some tender forage,
Nearly all of Ohio is in maturity zone 3 (III). If you get short on time - your planting is delayed - see if you can find Group 2 (II) beans.
There's some good research that planting a bean from a maturity zone to the north matures up-to 14 days sooner than a soybean selected for your zone. The trade-off is yield. You will still have soybeans, but, somewhat reduced from a seed selected for you zone.

Lots of questions ..... Are you planting for forage or bean production? Are you planting 2 acres or 22 acres? Are you going to fence the beans off or not? When is your average first frost date?

All that aside, I'd go ahead and plant, when you can, that doesn't compact the soil and then asses your situation again in early September. At that point, I'd broadcast wheat/rye and some small seeds, as the leaves turn yellow and before they drop, so you get a 2nd crop growing, while the beans are still standing. If an early frost takes the beans out, you have plan B in place.

The farmer that leases some of my ground has gotten his beans in as late as the middle of June some years. I'm a good bit north of you so I am sure you will be fine. I am in the same boat but with corn, got my beans in on Tuesday before the rains came.

Back