Introduce yourself

Hello everyone,
I have visited this forum for a few years now including back when it was still qdma forum. I have tried several times last three years or so to sign up but have always ran into problems and never could. Got a new phone yesterday and thought I would give it another try and pow and behold it was as easy as 123.
Anyway, my name is Dustin and I live in Coweta, Oklahoma. I hunt different big game animals but sure like whitetail. I have a family and am a taxidermist by trade.
Welcome. Most taxidermists have a good understanding of whitetail behavior and have a keen eye for detail. Your input will be valuable.

Just wanted to introduce myself as I just joined the forum. My name is Jeff and I am from Louisiana. Been in the outdoors chasing every game animal that is legal here in LA since the early 70's. Have now narrowed my hunting focus to bowhunting deer on public land. It's very rewarding when it works out but can be extremely frustrating when it doesn't. I'm a God fearing husband and a father of 3 beautiful girls and I take seriously my role as the one to lead my family to heaven. I am looking forward to getting involved in discussions here on the forum in an attempt to share my experiences and also learn from the vast experience on this site. God bless.

wagon.gif

Just wanted to introduce myself as I just joined the forum. My name is Jeff and I am from Louisiana. Been in the outdoors chasing every game animal that is legal here in LA since the early 70's. Have now narrowed my hunting focus to bowhunting deer on public land. It's very rewarding when it works out but can be extremely frustrating when it doesn't. I'm a God fearing husband and a father of 3 beautiful girls and I take seriously my role as the one to lead my family to heaven. I am looking forward to getting involved in discussions here on the forum in an attempt to share my experiences and also learn from the vast experience on this site. God bless.
We also have 3 beautiful girls. Welcome, looking forward to hearing about your public land experiences.

Tell me about the skiff in your avatar. I'm a closet boat hoarder with a passion for anything self propelled.

Tell me about the skiff in your avatar. I'm a closet boat hoarder with a passion for anything self propelled.
Down here in Louisiana we call them pirogues. They're very shallow drafting allowing access to some hard to reach places. The caveat is that they are very unstable and require good balance. It's made of fiberglass. I have two of them. When I make my late January bowhunting trip in the swamp I grew up in, it sometimes takes both of them to access the areas I want to hunt to get away from the pressure that was incurred in the weeks prior during the firearms season to find fairly unpressured deer. Mine are cheapies but my wish list pirogue is a Ron Chapman(high class). LOL!

I've seen some pirogues but have never paddled one. I have very good stability and would love to paddle one some day. Maybe with a deer laying in the front like yours!

Down here in Louisiana we call them pirogues. They're very shallow drafting allowing access to some hard to reach places. The caveat is that they are very unstable and require good balance. It's made of fiberglass. I have two of them. When I make my late January bowhunting trip in the swamp I grew up in, it sometimes takes both of them to access the areas I want to hunt to get away from the pressure that was incurred in the weeks prior during the firearms season to find fairly unpressured deer. Mine are cheapies but my wish list pirogue is a Ron Chapman(high class). LOL!
The only Pierogies that I'm familiar with are the filled dumplings that the Polish make, and they are delicious!

My name is Justin and I'm an adult onset hunter from Northeast Oklahoma. I shot my first deer this last season and only deer hunted one season before that.

I came into hunting from around the back. I was raised around guns and outdoors by a bird hunter. I was never really that much into quail, pheasant, or duck. After my dad had a heart attack he handed down several of our family heirloom guns. That re-sparked an interest in guns. One day I woke up and realized that I had all the equipment for hunting: rifles, a muzzle loader, bow, crossbow, and camo. What I was short on was a place to hunt. Luckily the wife was itchy to move to a different/bigger house. We didn't find the perfect house for her so we bought some land and built one. I got lucky again that the land is surrounded by undeveloped property. It wasn't long before I found out there are deer here.

My first season before we started building the house I would come out and sit by the creek and wait for a deer to come by. None did. I caught them on the trail camera and they were licking the mineral block, but our paths never crossed. My tag went unfilled. I soon realized that I wasn't a stop on their route. I was just in the neighborhood. I needed to give them a reason to call my place home. That's when I stumbled upon QDM. Now I'm in the process of working to provide them with good deer habitat.

It seems to be working, I have a rub on the oak tree I planted 30 feet from the house, the deer come by daily like clockwork, there are tracks in my front yard, and my wife thinks I'm obsessed with the deer. I'm not. No really, you're obsessed with deer. I don't have a deer problem.

Also it turns out, my kids like eating deer. They can't be quiet in a deer blind though.

My name is Justin and I'm an adult onset hunter from Northeast Oklahoma. I shot my first deer this last season and only deer hunted one season before that.

I came into hunting from around the back. I was raised around guns and outdoors by a bird hunter. I was never really that much into quail, pheasant, or duck. After my dad had a heart attack he handed down several of our family heirloom guns. That re-sparked an interest in guns. One day I woke up and realized that I had all the equipment for hunting: rifles, a muzzle loader, bow, crossbow, and camo. What I was short on was a place to hunt. Luckily the wife was itchy to move to a different/bigger house. We didn't find the perfect house for her so we bought some land and built one. I got lucky again that the land is surrounded by undeveloped property. It wasn't long before I found out there are deer here.

My first season before we started building the house I would come out and sit by the creek and wait for a deer to come by. None did. I caught them on the trail camera and they were licking the mineral block, but our paths never crossed. My tag went unfilled. I soon realized that I wasn't a stop on their route. I was just in the neighborhood. I needed to give them a reason to call my place home. That's when I stumbled upon QDM. Now I'm in the process of working to provide them with good deer habitat.

It seems to be working, I have a rub on the oak tree I planted 30 feet from the house, the deer come by daily like clockwork, there are tracks in my front yard, and my wife thinks I'm obsessed with the deer. I'm not. No really, you're obsessed with deer. I don't have a deer problem.

Also it turns out, my kids like eating deer. They can't be quiet in a deer blind though.
Welcome...I am a NE Oklahoman myself.

Hey everyone, My name is Patrick. I am a young hunter that loves to learn. I want to learn what I can but also teach what i know. I do this by writing on my blog (https://omegaoutdoors.blog). Not to worry, I am not here to spam links, but forums like these can help widen my whitetail knowledge and give me great ideas for articles. I'm excited to meet you all.

Hello everyone, I am Luis. I'm into a lot of weapons especially AR-15. Be it for deer hunting, living in Tampa. this is my first post in this forum You can always ping me. Looking forward to connecting!

Hello, I am Daron from Central NY and I have a problem. So far I have been clean for a couple months, my last fix was buying Dunstan Chestnuts (from Chestnut Hill) at Walmart, it was a setup.. one of the trees already had a bur! I usually only impulse buy trees/berry bushes and hunting equipment/clothes for the most part, but sometimes it spills into my fishing addiction.
I am a Maintenance Supervisor at a (SUNY) State College in Central NY (just a fancy title to be in charge of Plumbers and HVAC guys) and that fuels my addiction. I am a single father and a small time landowner so I am torn when it comes to spending money wisely. Don't get me wrong, my daughter always comes first but she also loves animals... and planting things, so she has become an enabler to my addiction. She is 15 now and loves fruit, so we are shifting our main focus to fruit trees just as soon as our stockpile of acorns are in the ground and caged this fall! Really our plantings have been for personal consumption and also a way around the baiting law, no form of baiting here in NY is legal not even mineral blocks are legal, so we are growing food to feed our critters to ensure they are healthy when we take them from this world and slap them into the frying pan *says a quiet prayer*
Although I am not normally a conspiracy guy, I do feel our public food sources have been corrupted/tainted with "acceptable amounts" of steroids, antibiotics, preservatives and growth hormones. I also feel some of our "fast food" compromised, until now my idea of fast food was a running deer. My daughter saw a post on social media and we decided to try it for ourselves so we went to McDonald's and bought a regular hamburger with no cheese, pickles, catsup or mustard (just a burger and a bun) and left it out next to the garbage can (indoors) since last November. It sat there for 9 months until she left the door open in July and our dog actually ate it :eek: but I can honestly say, the only thing that happened is the burger as a whole got smaller and very hard, no mold on the bread, no rot to the meat but the kicker is that fly's wouldn't even land on it... witnessing this first hand only pushed me deeper into the spiral of my addiction. In fact I may have ruined my daughter by passing this addiction to her, but in all fairness she will inherit my empire when I pass someday, and there is nothing wrong with having a grocery store in your back yard in times like this.

Hello, I am Daron from Central NY and I have a problem. So far I have been clean for a couple months, my last fix was buying Dunstan Chestnuts (from Chestnut Hill) at Walmart, it was a setup.. one of the trees already had a bur! I usually only impulse buy trees/berry bushes and hunting equipment/clothes for the most part, but sometimes it spills into my fishing addiction.
I am a Maintenance Supervisor at a (SUNY) State College in Central NY (just a fancy title to be in charge of Plumbers and HVAC guys) and that fuels my addiction. I am a single father and a small time landowner so I am torn when it comes to spending money wisely. Don't get me wrong, my daughter always comes first but she also loves animals... and planting things, so she has become an enabler to my addiction. She is 15 now and loves fruit, so we are shifting our main focus to fruit trees just as soon as our stockpile of acorns are in the ground and caged this fall! Really our plantings have been for personal consumption and also a way around the baiting law, no form of baiting here in NY is legal not even mineral blocks are legal, so we are growing food to feed our critters to ensure they are healthy when we take them from this world and slap them into the frying pan *says a quiet prayer*
Although I am not normally a conspiracy guy, I do feel our public food sources have been corrupted/tainted with "acceptable amounts" of steroids, antibiotics, preservatives and growth hormones. I also feel some of our "fast food" compromised, until now my idea of fast food was a running deer. My daughter saw a post on social media and we decided to try it for ourselves so we went to McDonald's and bought a regular hamburger with no cheese, pickles, catsup or mustard (just a burger and a bun) and left it out next to the garbage can (indoors) since last November. It sat there for 9 months until she left the door open in July and our dog actually ate it :eek: but I can honestly say, the only thing that happened is the burger as a whole got smaller and very hard, no mold on the bread, no rot to the meat but the kicker is that fly's wouldn't even land on it... witnessing this first hand only pushed me deeper into the spiral of my addiction. In fact I may have ruined my daughter by passing this addiction to her, but in all fairness she will inherit my empire when I pass someday, and there is nothing wrong with having a grocery store in your back yard in times like this.
Oh boy, this is a tough diagnosis. It sounds like you have a polyaddiction to trees. Signs of dependency include have six packs of acorns in your fridge, having a craving for tree ripened red delicious apples, possession of questionable magazines like tree nursery catalogs, the urge to bury things in your back yard like tree roots,, and the inability to focus on playing golf. The best form of intervention is to get addicted to something worse. Did you ever hear of grafting? No, not that kind. Granting tree branches. Or, planting a food plot and growing weed(s) so that you can tell your plumbers that now all of your time is well wasted.
Seriously, I can't imagine how anyone could have a better way to spend time with their daughter tan the way you are doing it. If every father would take your example and spend time with their children out in the great outdoors growing stuff, half of the world's problems would go away.
And welcome to the forum.

Back