How to grow Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks (DCOs) from seed

Can I overwinter acorns, which I started indoors, in my unheated shed?
Start them in your trays indoors for about 2-3 weeks to get the tap root going (light is NOT an issue at that point in time). Then transfer them to your shed (the Rubbermaid shed should do it), monitor their moisture, protect them from rodents (=VERY IMPORTANT). Your shed should buffer any possible temperature swings. However, if you get a couple weeks of warm weather, move them in the coldest spot you can find.

In the spring, move them outside and progress the seedling establishment in the rootmaker system.

Field Planting Tips for DCO acorns:
Planting time: in the fall directly in the field

Plant spacing: 12 – 15 ft.

Planting depth: 1/2 - 1 inch (plant them sideways!!!!, rule= 2x the seed width)

Mulching height (advised in most areas, protection from extreme cold and moisture retention): no more than 2 inches

Watering: Necessary if winter is dry. Monitor!!!!

Do NOT forget rodent protection! This is of UTMOST importance, or all your work was in vain!!!! (read about it further down in the thread.)

Color of acorns to be planted
IMO, they don't need to be brown to be planted. They just need to be ripe and not dried up. You'll notice anyway that green, ripe acorns will quickly change their color no matter what.

Last edited:
Field Planting - Can I fill up the holes with potting media?

We do NOT advise you to put the potting soil in your field planting holes. If you do this, you might end up with a perched water table, which means that the moisture in the potting soil will act differently than the native soil around it (it's all about soil physics). So it will dry out quicker or slower. which can either lead to the acorns to dry out or rot.

So, focus on planting them correctly in your field. Fill the holes with your field soil, mulch them (needed in your area in mid-Michigan), water them in, AND immediately protect them from rodents with the hardware cloth (1/4 inch size).

You can put tree tubes around them in the spring after they start growing. Remove the hardware cloth then, otherwise you'll girdle your seedlings over time.

What type of mulch should I use for protecting my DCO acorns?

The question: Pine or cedar mulch to protect DCO acorns?

No, you don't need a specific kind of mulch, i.e., pine or cedar will work. Just make sure, it is NOT double ground, i.e., it must NOT be very fine in texture, but coarse. A fine texture will cause matting making aeration difficult.

Can I use big pine nuggets?
In our opinion, pine nuggets are way too big. The seedling will have a hard time pushing trough in the spring, and this type of mulch doesn't give you the moisture retention and protection (from cold weather).

Mulch height: no more than 2 inches

Last edited:
How do I protect my field planted acorns from rodents?
You HAVE to protect the acorns from rodents. If you don't, it's not Mother Nature who will take care of them over the winter, but the rodents will :).
So we advise you to get the hardware cloth (¼ x ¼ inch), cut 6 X 6 inch pieces, and lay them on TOP of your mulched 'burial sites' (mulch height: no more than 2 inches).
Do NOT bury the wire pieces UNDER the mulch, your seedlings might get girdled (because of the dense meshing, only 1/4 X 1/4 in.) and die off, or YOU might damage the seedling when you try to remove the wire at a later stage.

letemgrow said on the qdma forum:
One on the best ways to keep rodents away is clearing out the thatch to a 4' circle. Rodents do not like crossing when they r exposed.
Like this, I lose zero seeds to rodents with this system. These are fall planted acorns which is my preferred way.
DCO from seed the first growing season.
100_1484.jpg

Last edited:
Rodent Protection - Another tip when transplanting seedlings outdoors

It's NOT a cure all (i.e.,not a guarantee): However, it helps if you remove the nut once the plant is established. There's a little less of a temptation for the critters to dig up the plants. Just carefully pull or cut (whatever works without damaging the plant) the nut off before you plant it in its final spot.
This method is done a lot with hazelnuts in commercial and research orchards.

Last edited:
Do I have to water my field planted acorns over the winter?

You HAVE to monitor your acorns' moisture over the winter!
If you have a DRY winter, you HAVE to water them occasionally even if they are frozen rock solid in your trays (or in the field). BUT don't water when it's 20 below, water when the temps are more moderate.

Blitz,

Just placed order for 1/2 pound

How would you proceed if trying to grow in east texas(zone 8)

temp in nineties now. First freeze around mid november

direct seed? place in RM18s in fridge?

thanks,

bill

Bill,

It seems as if you have enough cold temperatures in your region (southeast of Dallas) for the vernalization of the DCOs. Humidity might be of concern: We had very high dew points in the upper 70s this summer, and we have seen powdery mildew on some (not all) of our DCOs. If you want to, you can still withdraw your order. That's no problem - we want you to succeed.

If you still want to try growing them, I would try to direct seed half of the acorns and the other half go in the RM 18s. For direct seeding, I would plant them about 2 weeks before your first expected frost. Even at that time, I would expect that you should still have quite a few warm days. If it's too warm for too long, they might have a tendency to flush out instead of getting their cold treatment.

RM18s: Keep your acorns in a beer fridge until you are ready to plant. Once your day temps get consistently in the 60s-70s, I would plant them in the RM18s and place them outside (mice protection, sun protection, etc. as stated in our thread "How to grow DCO from seed"

Troy

This thread was on the old forum and it gave me the confidence to jump in an try DCO. Blitz and others deserve a great deal of credit for their leadership on spreading these trees across the eastern half of our country.

I am grateful for their contributions. I got DCOs in 2015 from Blitz and I am on the list for 2016. Growing DCO requires discipline, patience and attention to detail. The reward is worth it. They are slow - actually it is amazing how slow they go - but they get there.

I encourage the doubters & lurkers to jump in an try these! :)

Bill,

It seems as if you have enough cold temperatures in your region (southeast of Dallas) for the vernalization of the DCOs. Humidity might be of concern: We had very high dew points in the upper 70s this summer, and we have seen powdery mildew on some (not all) of our DCOs. If you want to, you can still withdraw your order. That's no problem - we want you to succeed.

If you still want to try growing them, I would try to direct seed half of the acorns and the other half go in the RM 18s. For direct seeding, I would plant them about 2 weeks before your first expected frost. Even at that time, I would expect that you should still have quite a few warm days. If it's too warm for too long, they might have a tendency to flush out instead of getting their cold treatment.

RM18s: Keep your acorns in a beer fridge until you are ready to plant. Once your day temps get consistently in the 60s-70s, I would plant them in the RM18s and place them outside (mice protection, sun protection, etc. as stated in our thread "How to grow DCO from seed"

Troy

Send em,Troy!!

Im ready to give it a go!!

bill

How do DCO react to fire? Our pasture is set to be burned next spring. I would like to plant DCO along our fenceline someday, but the fenceline will be burned out every 3-5 years when we burn pasture. If I wait until next fall to plant, that would give them the 3-5 years to grow above flame height. Do you think that would work, or should I seek some other plant?

Blitz,

I got my DCO box in today's mail. Thanks for the service you provide. I will get a check to you.

Looking forward to adding these to my farm. :)

I will grow most in rootmaker 18s but will direct seed some too.

Thanks Troy and Sabine.

Blitz,

I got my DCO box in today's mail. Thanks for the service you provide. I will get a check to you.

Looking forward to adding these to my farm. :)

I will grow most in rootmaker 18s but will direct seed some too.

Thanks Troy and Sabine.
How long till they need to be direct seeded?

How long till they need to be direct seeded?

First thing I did was get them in the fridge. I will put some in growing media next week in rootmaker 18s and put them under lights for 3 weeks. Then they the entire rootmaker 18s going into a fridge for 90 days at least.

I will direct seed some next week. Right now I am getting ready for KY Bow Season. Blitz might have a different schedule than what I am going to do.

My tree pen is mostly final destination but some can be transplanted.Its gonna be nice for new chestnuts.There is going to be different sections as needed but 5 years minimum like it is.

Back