How do deer react to cattle?

This has been an enlightening thread, since I've never hunted around cattle until moving to Missouri. From my observation, deer and cattle don't mix, which concentrates deer where cattle aren't.

I do think that Baker makes an interesting point, about rotational grazing, but cattle do a lot of damage in the woods.

As far as deer chasing cattle, I think my neighbor is full of it, but wanted reassurance.

wow here in PA slaughter houses are not allowed to except animals that can not walk off a trailer on there own. no dead animals excepted.

I have a good friend who owns the slaughter house I use. He knew the cattle in question because he had seen them alive. We killed on Mondays at the slaughter house so he told me to just put them down and bring them in. The winch they used pulled them right off my trailer into the skinning room. I killed both cattle in winter and covered them on the trailer.

They also accept dead deer, elk, and hogs...

I have a good friend who owns the slaughter house I use. He knew the cattle in question because he had seen them alive. We killed on Mondays at the slaughter house so he told me to just put them down and bring them in. The winch they used pulled them right off my trailer into the skinning room. I killed both cattle in winter and covered them on the trailer.

They also accept dead deer, elk, and hogs...
That is a good point about the dead wild game. That law may only apply to to domesticated animals that are intended for resale.

I raise cattle and sheep. I frequently see deer in the same field with the cattle but they don't hang around together. I do believe more deer come out when the cattle are not around. I never see them in the same field with the sheep, but the guard dogs probably have a lot to do with it. They won't even let a bird land.

You can't take a slaughtered beef to a slaughterhouse now to be processed. It is because of the Federal BSE (mad cow disease) regulations. It has to be able to walk into the slaughterhouse to be legally slaughtered and most won't break that law.

Brushpile, your neighbor doesn't like to take a little nip now and then does he?

Back