Hey guys

MiddleTNHunter

Hows it going everyone! Middle Tennessee deer hunter here. I had some things to ask some of the more experienced hunters here to see how I could improve my land for hunting.

Firstly, here's pic of the buck I got just a few days ago. This is probably about the average buck on my property. Not very big, but nicely formed rack. But there are for sure giants back in those woods, they're just tough to see.

I've got 225 acres. half open hay fields, half wooded. A large creek with constant water runs the entire length of the property. Lots of fairly tall hills and deep hollers. I've got everything from ladder stands to port o john blinds up on tall platforms to ground blinds.

As far as building a bigger buck herd during hunting season, what are the general rules of thumb? Do you plant food plots during the summer or fall?

What sorts of feed do you guys like to put out? I've heard people say AniLogics is quality stuff. I just put out a couple bags of Deer Master Deer Draw under a couple stands.

Trail cameras. I'm sort of worried about the flash. What types of cameras and flash do you guys like? Which seem to not spook the deer as much?

What sorts of stands or blinds do you guys prefer?

Other tips or advice for building a good deer heard and managing my property for deer is totally welcomed. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo_2021-12-09_10-17-10.jpg
    photo_2021-12-09_10-17-10.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 23352_65843b4fa1bc8d80b812d4a3e0249aa5_thumb.jpg
    23352_65843b4fa1bc8d80b812d4a3e0249aa5_thumb.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to the forum. Middle Tennessee has some great deer genetics, so if you can get bucks to maturity, you will have many with a fine set of antlers. Based on what I know right now, here are a few things for you to consider:
  • Do some research on creating deer sanctuaries. There is a lot of information on this forum and other places on the Internet on this subject. Don't go into these places except to retrieve a dead deer and/or to do habitat work in the early spring. Also, keep pressure low on other areas of your land that you do go in. For instance, sight your rifles in on another property, don't be running beagles, etc....
  • The number one rule for bigger bucks is to use some trigger restraint and let young deer reach maturity. It won't always work out for you but sometimes it will. One thing for sure - they can't grow if they are dead.
  • Consider converting some of those hay fields to food and cover. For cover you could look at planting some areas in NWSGs. For food, you could consider a few cool season plots with clover and chicory, and also consider letting someone crop soybeans on your land. You can make money from the crops, and the deer browse the high nutrition beans through the critical antler growing part of the summer. Don't even think about doing store bought food until you start providing natural foods and crops.
  • Also consider some fruit tree and shrub planting on some of that open land. However, you need to plan it out carefully considering access, sunlight, etc.. Don't just throw in something without taking the important things into consideration.
  • Consider doing TSI in your timber. Learn about hinge cutting and creating thick areas that provide both browse and food. These thick areas could be the sanctuaries that I mentioned above.
  • If you have good neighbors, work with them on passing young bucks and cooperating on other things to improve the deer quality in the area. Also do everything you can to prevent trespassing, etc....
  • Look at screening any areas that someone might do road hunting.
  • Access without spooking deer is important. Some of those stands you have may not be in good locations. Consider this and change the way you hunt if necessary.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hard to follow advice from Native!

If you want to know what everyone on the forum does on their property, take a look at the property tours. Focus on tours in your region of the country with similar terrain, grow zones, herd dynamics, etc,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always take counsel from someone who follows their own advice. @Native Hunter not only says to do this stuff, he actually does them himself, and his deer pictures (dead and alive) testify to this. Had he taken the time to give me the above advice, I would consider it such an honor, I would go and engrave the words on a piece of wood and nail it above my fireplace mantel.
Anyway, I believe that you are on the right track to improving the deer herd on your 225 acre property, because you are asking all the right questions. If you do half of the stuff Native recommended, you will be shooting bigger bucks in the future.
I believe the "outdoor shows" and the "outdoor products manufacturers" constantly advertising and over-marketing their methods and stuff to hunters to make a quick buck are responsible for this prevalent idea that someone can take a bag of the latest wonder-product and dump it out on the ground under their treestand and shoot a monster buck on opening day, when it is actually mostly a total waste of money and effort.
The three magic words are FOOD, COVER, and AGE; Bucks need year round, natural, nutritious food such as oats, ladino clover, and soybeans to grow big racks. Bucks need thick cover to keep them on your land instead of the neighbors. Getting a logger into a woods to do a "timber stand improvement" can be one of the most potent deer management tools in the toolbox. And, like Native pointed out, you won't ever be able to shoot a 4 year old unless you let some 2 year olds and three year olds live.
Deer are way more homebodies than what most of the prevailing thought and magazine articles give them credit for, and therefore, managing for bigger horns is entirely attainable. A properly managed 200 acre place that gives the deer everything they want is mostly keeping their own bucks on the property. Add several neighbors with the same goals, and, if, during the rut, some of your big bucks do happen to run over to their place, you are just swapping them for their big bucks running over to your place.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Agree with Mennonite on Native advice AND agree with Mennonite. One key is having a healthy herd and your pic shows a good one. Good luck

Thanks for the thorough responses guys! I will read all of them at length.

Also, just one thing I saw, someone recommended me to convert some of the hay fields to food/cover. I can't do that. The hay is a huge part of my livelihood. I sell it. I need all of it. That unfortunately means I have to live with it.

Also, just one thing I saw, someone recommended me to convert some of the hay fields to food/cover. I can't do that. The hay is a huge part of my livelihood. I sell it. I need all of it. That unfortunately means I have to live with it.

What are you planting in your hayfield? Hay fields in my area have a clover component to them, deer definitely use them as a food plot for that reason. If they are in a location that you want Deer to use I would recommend planting something for the deer (clover or alfalfa) in there as well. If not then you’re probably better off with 100% cool season grass.

Off topic, but how can I change my username? I swear I did not type in my actual name when I made my UN, but the website just decided, nope, we're gonna use your real name. lol

Off topic, but how can I change my username? I swear I did not type in my actual name when I made my UN, but the website just decided, nope, we're gonna use your real name. lol

What do you want your username to be?

Okay, but you can surely spare 2 acres for plots. If that much is well managed and strategically located, it will make a big difference in fall attraction. Also, medium red clover thrives well in hayfields in some areas. Mix it in with your pasture grasses, and at least you can get some deer nutrition going in the hay. Check with the local SCS office for what variety does well in your area. Just don’t do it in the areas where it will hurt your hunting rather than help.

I think you've got a cool name just as is, Eli is a name that runs in our family. You had asked about cameras, if you have cell service, Tactacam Reveal X is about as good as any, ours have been trouble free, good trigger, reasonable on batteries, and the price for service is pretty reasonable too.
If looking for non cell cameras Bushnell and Browning usually get reviews.
Guys will debate this point all day long, but I've seen evidence that big bucks will avoid flash cameras, however, no-flash generally doesn't have quite the clarity at night. I'd stick to no flash if possible.

My Dad used to drill rye into many fields. Maybe not his Bermuda hay fields but the rye, if not grazed, became the first cutting in the spring. And several fields had Dutch white clover

Welcome.
And don’t do any thing Native suggests. All he does is kill big mature bucks and we all know how hard those are to drag
Seriously good advice has been given so I won’t add to but sometimes it’s good to manipulate your land in conjunction with what you already see in the deer areas of movement , bedding, and mating. Easier to improve existing areas then try to force movement patterns of deer.
As for hay fields… you could consider alfalfa/ clover plot which is sellable. I have that and it’s a strong attraction year round.
Or another would be corn which can sold then be transitioned into grain and brassica plot for no till rotation plantings as most farmers do these days.
Good luck what ever you choose.

Welcome.
And don’t do any thing Native suggests. All he does is kill big mature bucks and we all know how hard those are to drag
Seriously good advice has been given so I won’t add to but sometimes it’s good to manipulate your land in conjunction with what you already see in the deer areas of movement , bedding, and mating. Easier to improve existing areas then try to force movement patterns of deer.
As for hay fields… you could consider alfalfa/ clover plot which is sellable. I have that and it’s a strong attraction year round.
Or another would be corn which can sold then be transitioned into grain and brassica plot for no till rotation plantings as most farmers do these days.
Good luck what ever you choose.

You are a mess. I was going to tell him about the theory of random clusters, but you have the copyright on that.

You know that requires a contract and signed non disclosure before sharing!! Btw my second buck did come from and go back to die in RC #4.

You have me hooked on it. I increased my deer numbers by 20% this year doing it, and now I can't stop. But I can't tell anyone about it, because you would sue me for copyright infringement, and I would have to sell all my deer heads to pay the lawyer fees....;)

You have me hooked on it. I increased my deer numbers by 20% this year doing it, and now I can't stop. But I can't tell anyone about it, because you would sue me for copyright infringement, and I would have to sell all my deer heads to pay the lawyer fees....;)
I figured I'll get around his copyright laws by doing some "organized clusters", figuring that our dumb PA deer wouldn't know the difference whether the clusters are in a straight line like a good mennonite would make them, or a crooked line like those WVA hillbillies do them. But, wouldn't you know it, our deer won't touch them "straight clusters". They totally refuse to be shot at in anything less than a "random cluster", and now I've wasted my time and I'm still forced to pay @dogghr the ransom money for the random cluster copyright fees...

Seems the habitat gods have been awakened

Good to see the forum active again

bill
Nice!

I'm interested in putting in the work to maximize my property for big bucks. Until recently it never occurred to me to try to manage my deer herd. I sort of perceived that to be something they did on TV with those high fences and whatnot, but I started binging some YT content on deer herd management and hunting tips and it got me intrigued.

I have not been a "trophy hunter" for over a decade. Every deer season I always just get me one or two does for meat. Most of the time I didn't even hunt for them, I'd just shoot them out in the yard when they'd walk up. But recently I've got the urge to get back into buck hunting.

Back when I was like 18 I got a nice 115-120 8 pointer while hunting. I shot him on foot leaving my stand. It was odd because I was not even trying to be quiet. I was leaving because I'd been there all day and seen nothing. The deer never saw me. I think he was hot on a doe. It was rifle season.

Forgive me, I have not read all the replies here. I will make time to sit down and read it all possibly today, then return with my follow up responses. Thanks for the replies guys!

Back