Help me decide on a crossbow

savanna

I have had several different crossbows since my state started allowing them. Started with a cheap Barnett and have moved up. I have recently gotten down to two different models and would like any input you have from experience. I have boiled it down to the Tenpoint Turbo GT or the Stryker Katana 385. Both bows are top quality, smooth, compact, fast, and not the most current model out there calling for a crazy amount of money. Both can be had new for about $800-900 bucks.

The Tenpoint has this Accu-draw 50 thing that keeps the cord right on the bow and allegedly reduces the pull weight. I have zero experience with this. The bow is very compact and shoots approx 360FPS. Top quality in Tenpoint and its customer service.

The Stryker is also compact but a little larger width than the Tenpoint. Tenpoint is 17 uncocked to 14 cocked. Stryker is 19 uncocked to 16 cocked. The Stryker has larger cams and is very smooth and quiet. The Stryker is 25FPS faster. I dont know about eithers accuracy as I only drew and test shot them at my local Cabela's. Color and camo on both look good, so does shape and fit/feel. Both are very close in length (about 35" and weight around 7lbs).

If you have any experience or thoughts can you please share them with me.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with the Tenpoint. I have worked on several with routine maintenance and had to send one back to be upgraded because the limbs cracked and bent the cams. They didn't make the cams or cables(steel) anymore and offered to replace everything so that it had actual cables that could be ordered by any bow shop or custom made if needed. The cost of doing that was cheaper than buying a new bow and the customer really didn't want to change brands or bows.

Whichever model you go with, make sure the dealer can repair it if it needs it. We bought a new bow press about 4 years ago to accommodate today's more parallel limb bows. At the time, every crossbow would fit in it. In the last 2-3 years, almost every manufacturer has made a more compact crossbow and about 1/2 of them won't fit and I can't get more fingers to shorten it up. It has a 19" minimum and most of the new bows are at 17" or smaller. I am going to have to justify a $700+ purchase to the owner to be able to work on the new bows that are out and coming.

I bought a Barnett Vengeance ,reverse draw 4 years ago and have no complaints. Check out Crossbow Nation. Much info.

Thanks for the input but I am really only interested in one of the two bows posted above. As for Barnett, the minute you Google Barnett the next word is explode followed by 100's of stories of exploding limb stories.

I've worked on a BUNCH of Barnetts. It's the new ones that I see having the trouble(Recruit is the worst). I have only seen a couple with busted limbs and it's usually customer related. 95% of them are broken strings. Barnett takes care of the issue and then I don't see to many more problems after that. I haven't seen but one or two of the "higher" end Barnetts come in for repair. That is enough to turn me away though. The older Barnetts are golden and tough as nails.

I remember when they came out with the ghost 400 and everyone went crazy for the speed of it. Then all the stories surfaced and it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere but down. I just want to make sure I'm getting a good quality bow with an outstanding reputation, hence sticking with stryker(Excalibur-bowtech, and tenpoint).

Good brands and I would honestly take an Excalibur over Tenpoint and Stryker. Nothing wrong with Tenpoint and Styrker, I just like being able to fix my bow in the field and keep hunting. I have shot all of the Excaliburs but the newest 2018 models. I REALLY like the Matrix 355 and have shot it several times at the shop and then quite a few times after one of my good friends bought one. I like the ability to change the string yourself if something happens. Warranty and customer service are great. The new Matrix Bullldog 330 appears to be a good one too, I just haven't shot one yet to verify what I already know and expect.

Personally wouldnt buy any until after the ATA show, tenpoint has some really nice ones they are gonna be annoucing.....

I shoot an older Ten Point. The accu draw system was the selling point for me because of arthritis in my hands. The easier a crossbow is to cock, the more practice you will get. I also like the "Steady Eddie" front monopod accessory for hunting from ground blinds.

Not an expert but bought my wife a 10pt Xbow 3 years ago.

The thing shoots great and I have not touched a sight in 3 years.

Pick it up, one practice shot then go hunting

Good brands and I would honestly take an Excalibur over Tenpoint and Stryker. Nothing wrong with Tenpoint and Styrker, I just like being able to fix my bow in the field and keep hunting. I have shot all of the Excaliburs but the newest 2018 models. I REALLY like the Matrix 355 and have shot it several times at the shop and then quite a few times after one of my good friends bought one. I like the ability to change the string yourself if something happens. Warranty and customer service are great. The new Matrix Bullldog 330 appears to be a good one too, I just haven't shot one yet to verify what I already know and expect.
Never really been comfortable with bow repairs so this is why I bought the Excaliber. The ease of string replacement was huge for me, and I'm totally comfortable working on the bow. I pulled a total dumb ass one day while practicing and dry fired the bow. The string exploded, but didn't hurt a thing. Throw a new string on and keep shooting.

Excalibur is coming out with a new model next month.

Yeh I have a matrix 380. I like all of the things you mentioned a recurve is good for. However I also hunt both from a tree stand and a ground blind and the 380 is just too big. It's also a bear to cock. That's why I'm looking for a compound too.

Back