Georgia Baiting

THE LLC

Our DNR board voted to open the entire state to hunting over bait starting this year. Amazing. A regressive step in my opinion to help small landowners and lazy hunters. But, on the good side, NO MORE HAVING TO PLANT PLOTS!!!! No worries about rain, heat, cold, wind, snow, freeze killing our hard work. Plots in a bag now. Only concern now is competing with our neighbors who have a lot more money and time to do it up right.

Triple C, our lives just got a whole lot easier---unless you forget to buy a bag of corn on the way to the farm.

I’m struggling with the idea of baiting on our place in NC. Not to hunt over but in an attempt to advance more deer to the next age class. At least one of my neighbors baits (corn) and has daylight trail cam pics of the oldest deer in the neighborhood last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

There is nearly a bait pile for every hunter in WV. I have 2 adjacent owners who bait heavily and can never even get a pic of my mature bucks, much less shoot one. Their hunting helps me more than any management I do. Not a problem.

I think it's sad, really, when you have to bait to kill a deer. Especially in this day and age with deer numbers like they are.

Our DNR board voted to open the entire state to hunting over bait starting this year. Amazing. A regressive step in my opinion to help small landowners and lazy hunters. But, on the good side, NO MORE HAVING TO PLANT PLOTS!!!! No worries about rain, heat, cold, wind, snow, freeze killing our hard work. Plots in a bag now. Only concern now is competing with our neighbors who have a lot more money and time to do it up right.

Triple C, our lives just got a whole lot easier---unless you forget to buy a bag of corn on the way to the farm.
I enjoy planting the plots more than the hunting

It'll change the game for some guys, that's for sure. It'll advance to bigger piles, better sweeteners, etc. I've never hunted over bait, so I can't comment on what the experience is like. Know lots of guys who have neighbors who bait, and it's an ugly situation where it's illegal.

I live in Ohio and its legal to bait. In my opinion a good alfalfa or soybean plot is 10x better to hunt over than a corn pile. With that said the States that aren't allowed to bait are you still allowed to plant food plots,if so to me that's baiting also.

I enjoy doing the plots as much as the hunting unless I have a mature buck within 30 yards then it changes. It also changes when there is a lack of rain. I don’t know how farmers do it. I get so stressed over lack of rain and I’m implementing food plots for deer.

I live in Ohio and its legal to bait. In my opinion a good alfalfa or soybean plot is 10x better to hunt over than a corn pile. With that said the States that aren't allowed to bait are you still allowed to plant food plots,if so to me that's baiting also.

So are you saying your alfalfa and soybeans are baiting?

I've heard that comparison numerous times, but it just doesn't hold water. The intent of the plot and a bait pile might be the same (to see, feed, and perhaps kill a deer), but they certainly are not the same.

Of course, managed food plots are a form of baiting. You're putting something there for the purpose of attracting deer that nature did not put there. The only time a food plot is not baiting is if you never hunt over the plot or on its perimeter.

I've heard that comparison numerous times, but it just doesn't hold water. The intent of the plot and a bait pile might be the same (to see, feed, and perhaps kill a deer), but they certainly are not the same.
In my opinion yes. Because I'm not planting the beans to harvest or the alfalfa/clover for hay.
I'm doing it to attract and feed the deer.

In my opinion yes. Because I'm not planting the beans to harvest or the alfalfa/clover for hay.
I'm doing it to attract and feed the deer.

I agree. While I do have one food plot that we never hunt, the others are all hunted sometime or another. If you put it there to attract and kill deer, then it's baiting, whether you pour it out of a bag or put it in the ground.

This is a debate kinda like states that have
Riffle vs shotgun (there's been several times I wished I had a riffle in my hands instead of a shotgun)
Compound vs crossbow
I can see both sides and I can respect all opinions

I have a friend who has 300 acres in Georgia. He has always planted food plots. He has four, 5 acre corn plots he planted this summer. He has to plant early hoping for enough rain - so the hogs get a lot of it before fall. By the time its done, he has nearly $500 an acre in it. He has to drive three hours from his home to get to his farm. He worries about no rain, too many hogs, wind, hail, etc. He said this year is it. For about 20% of the money, and almost none of the time - he can set up feeders and just go hunt.

We can legally bait in my home state of AR. I dont hunt over bait but I do my fall camera surveys over a corn pile. All my big bucks come to corn - and in the daytime, also.

The definition of baiting in NY is
moving a food source from one area to another for the purpose of Feeding deer.
So an apple tree dropping apples is not baiting. Taking an apple and throwing it is baiting
Planted crops are not baiting unless you take a turnip, ear of corn etc. And relocate it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There is nearly a bait pile for every hunter in WV. I have 2 adjacent owners who bait heavily and can never even get a pic of my mature bucks, much less shoot one. Their hunting helps me more than any management I do. Not a problem.
Same way in Maryland and I agree with you, not a problem.

Most hunters, NOT ALL, who bait are the same type that overpressure deer by hunting that same spot over and over.

A lot of the baiting in AR is on commercial land leased from timber companies. No habitat manipulation allowed in pure pine stands where all the hardwood trees have been removed. One hunter per forty acres in a pure pine stand - bait is about the only way to see a deer

I’ve hunted over bait in past when on private company forest land. It can be done with mature bucks but secret is to back off 100 yds. They occasionally might come to a pile n shooting ours but it’s rare but I’ve never had that happen. And if you want to bait with corn then no whining of bears on your property. They love the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back