Garlon4/diesel cocktail vs maple tree

I have seen perfectly live trees dangerously fall to the ground. I have yet to witness a tree that I have killed fall to the ground. As Men Man mentioned, after the storm passes, I go up and clean up the trails.

G
Several years ago I was cutting open a trail through a thicket, and while clearing a long pole angled upwards into the treetops, a dead branch hanging high up in a live tree from logging activities got dislodged, and when it hit me it fractured a vertebrae, which was totally my own fault for not inspecting the treetops for hazards while cutting stuff with a chainsaw. But I've lived life to the fullest, plenty of action with no regrets, where I've fractured vertebrae before, and amazingly, have no longterm back pain to speak of.
I'm an experienced tree feller with training in that field, but one moment of sloppiness caused 6 weeks worth of pain. When talking about felling vs. spraying I'll pick the chemical process as the way safer option of the two every time.
When cutting in the woods: Know what you are doing! Always look up! Always watch for loaded branches! Logging is the second most dangerous occupation, right next to being president.

Several years ago I was cutting open a trail through a thicket, and while clearing a long pole angled upwards into the treetops, a dead branch hanging high up in a live tree from logging activities got dislodged, and when it hit me it fractured a vertebrae, which was totally my own fault for not inspecting the treetops for hazards while cutting stuff with a chainsaw. But I've lived life to the fullest, plenty of action with no regrets, where I've fractured vertebrae before, and amazingly, have no longterm back pain to speak of.
I'm an experienced tree feller with training in that field, but one moment of sloppiness caused 6 weeks worth of pain. When talking about felling vs. spraying I'll pick the chemical process as the way safer option of the two every time.
When cutting in the woods: Know what you are doing! Always look up! Always watch for loaded branches! Logging is the second most dangerous occupation, right next to being president.

I have had my close calls without serious injury. I bounced 2 trees off my hardhat felling red maples up on the ridge a few summers ago. Since vowing to not drop any more trees on my head, I have been relatively mishap free. Killing trees standing is a far safer option for me. Not to mention, under most tsi situations it is often impossible to fell maples out of the canopy. I have killed 56 acres of red maples since July which would not be possible felling trees.

G

I have had my close calls without serious injury. I bounced 2 trees off my hardhat felling red maples up on the ridge a few summers ago. Since vowing to not drop any more trees on my head, I have been relatively mishap free. Killing trees standing is a far safer option for me. Not to mention, under most tsi situations it is often impossible to fell maples out of the canopy. I have killed 56 acres of red maples since July which would not be possible felling trees.

G
Speaking of red maples, we all have our own habitat preferences, and I mostly reserve chemicals for killing invasives. I especially don't like killing red maples, rather I like cutting them specifically for the high energy stump sprouts, as red maple stump sprouts can create an instant food plot in the middle of open woods. As an illustration, when consulting on a new deer property I specifically look for red maples, as an open habitat sparse deer woods can be instantly transformed by cutting these trees, and as they are often of smaller size, if they are in the 4-6" range it can be a "safe and easy to identify" tree for beginners to cut. Dropping some red maples in open woods is the fastest miracle transformation deer habitat that I know of, especially if the trees are cut by clusters and thrown into a wagon wheel circle. After making a red maple circle I like to cut a deer walking pathway right through the middle, then another one crosswise, cutting the circle into quarters to encourage deer usage. If red maples are present I can look like a hero and create an instant miracle by transforming a habitat desert into an instant deer mecca by stump cutting these trees and hinging a few for instant food until the sprouts grow in half a year.
To emphasize; I consider red maple as one of the most important habitat trees in the woods, but only if they are cut, for their stump sprout browse value, and also their hinging compatibility. Also, cutting red maples creates bedding side cover as an additional benefit if someone likes to mess with making deer beds.

Speaking of red maples, we all have our own habitat preferences, and I mostly reserve chemicals for killing invasives. I especially don't like killing red maples, rather I like cutting them specifically for the high energy stump sprouts, as red maple stump sprouts can create an instant food plot in the middle of open woods. As an illustration, when consulting on a new deer property I specifically look for red maples, as an open habitat sparse deer woods can be instantly transformed by cutting these trees, and as they are often of smaller size, if they are in the 4-6" range it can be a "safe and easy to identify" tree for beginners to cut. Dropping some red maples in open woods is the fastest miracle transformation deer habitat that I know of, especially if the trees are cut by clusters and thrown into a wagon wheel circle. After making a red maple circle I like to cut a deer walking pathway right through the middle, then another one crosswise, cutting the circle into quarters to encourage deer usage. If red maples are present I can look like a hero and create an instant miracle by transforming a habitat desert into an instant deer mecca by stump cutting these trees and hinging a few for instant food until the sprouts grow in half a year.
To emphasize; I consider red maple as one of the most important habitat trees in the woods, but only if they are cut, for their stump sprout browse value, and also their hinging compatibility. Also, cutting red maples creates bedding side cover as an additional benefit if someone likes to mess with making deer beds.

You are preaching to the choir, Menman.

I sawed down about 5 acres of maple food plots this year,

DSC07176 (1200 x 800).jpg

prior to my latest food plot creation, 2 acres so far shooting for 5.

DSC08038 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC08077 (1200 x 800).jpg

Perhaps Menman, you have a habitat preference for oaks too.

G

Last edited:
You are preaching to the choir, Menman.

I sawed down about 5 acres of maple food plots this year,

View attachment 26921

prior to my latest food plot creation, 2 acres so far shooting for 5.

View attachment 26919

View attachment 26920

Perhaps Menman, you have a habitat preference for oaks too.

G
So right, you're on to me! (But it gets scary when you know what I'm thinking just a little before I think it)
The Oak, poplar, maple, and pine majority species found in a lot of the eastern US, and is what you and I have on a lot of our land, is a prime whitetail habitat and a great mixture for a TSI. Cut all the red maples for food and cover, and space the oaks far enough to let sunlight to the ground, and these fast growing thinned oaks will seed future trees and drop acorns into the newly created habitat jungle, and just as this jungle starts to thin the oaks provide logging income and by that time this now properly managed forest has the next acorn bearing crop of oaks on the way. (And the ideal property has a few pine patches for thermal cover) The amazing fact about managing the average eastern US wooded property that not all foresters get is that the optimal management for deer is also the optimal management for timber. Some foresters like to manage a tight timber stand with open woods where there's no food for deer and therefore the deer are detrimental to seedling trees, but this method is in error, as the timber is stacked too tightly to permit tree growth. A thinned timber stand allows the fastest board foot per acre of tree growth, and provides way more underbrush than a (1 deer-8 acres) deer herd can eat.

Back